BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2021, 04:44 AM   #1
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

BMW iX3 PREMIER EDITION

One of the first here in the UK

Appreciate 1
Adeefc6.00
      07-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

BMW iX3

Here are another couple of pics of the IX3 at Sytner Sheffield. The colour does not look bad at all in real life. I do like the alloys and although it's subjective matter they are better than bi-colour that they offer in Europe. My car will be in carbon black and expected late September. I am test driving this next Saturday afternoon

Name:  BMW iX3.JPG
Views: 2995
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  BMW iX3..JPG
Views: 2272
Size:  102.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:22 AM   #3
Eaunoire
Rep
Drives: Ix3

Wheels look great, much better in all black
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
sukhdev
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Saloon M Sport (F10)

Because the wheels are black, I decided to go for Mineral White Metallic exterior for the contrast. My stock date is still the end of October, so perhaps I will finally receive the vehicle this November.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17550.50
      07-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Nice - assume these are test drive cars. I've got one on order through my employer and been told early September - hoping that's the case.

Quick question but I assume it doesn't have a dog guard installed as standard?

The official website does show one in the interior but I wasn't expecting it to
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

I think it will be standard. I have it as standard in my 5 series (G31). It's integrated next to the cover, you pull it up manualy.
Appreciate 1
gray1x12.00
      07-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure if that is standard. Not listed in the standard equipment. Have not seen it any of the video reviews either. If it's not standard I am sure BMW will be able to fit it as this car internally is an X3
Appreciate 1
gray1x12.00
      07-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #8
gray1x
Private
Rep

thanks - yeah I'm not sure - I currently have a 2014 model X3 which doesn't - no idea about the newer ones
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

First BMW IX3 UK Spec Review

Here is possibly the first review on you tube of the iX3 UK spec.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #10
sukhdev
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Saloon M Sport (F10)

Great review! My estimated stock date is now 19th November - very infuriating.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
Izzykhulu
Rep
Drives: Bmw iX3

I'm also waiting for stock to be delivered on 19th November. I wasn't offered any choice of color, leather, trim or model and was only offered iSophisto grey, black interior and (Premier only). Dealer indicated they're not producing any blue trim, or even shipping the other leather colors - and Pro was at least another 6 month wait. Is this the same everyone else in the UK is hearing?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
gray1x
Private
Rep

Ordered in April through my work salary sacrifice scheme (not a dealer) and was told September. Still says that but I get the feeling it might get pushed.

Ordered black with black leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkandress View Post
Nice - assume these are test drive cars. I've got one on order through my employer and been told early September - hoping that's the case.

Quick question but I assume it doesn't have a dog guard installed as standard?

The official website does show one in the interior but I wasn't expecting it to
Installed no - but rolled up in the boot - yes: well at least it is in the iX3 Premier Edition that I picked up on Friday.

For anyone coming to the iX3 from the i3, they are very different cars. The most noticeable differences are the much improved ride quality on poor road surfaces, and adaptive regeneration. The latter is taking time to get used to compared to one pedal driving on the i3 (yes, I know that the iX3 has a one pedal driving mode but it rather negates all the work that BMW has put into adaptive regeneration).

The displays are clear but the lack of a battery SOC reminds me of the early days of the i3. I was thrilled to see that, unlike the i3, the profile remembers whether the driver prefers sport; comfort or Eco Pro.

Having spent more than I thought that I ever would on a BMW, this is a seriously good and extremely well-built car. Compared to an i3 it is also something of a beast to look at; fortunately, it is anything but a beast to drive.
Appreciate 2
Adeefc6.00
gray1x12.00
      08-02-2021, 06:45 AM   #14
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Congratulations on your new iX3.

I had a test drive on Saturday afternoon. I had a couple of hours to test it out and the one thing that struck me was the regen in the "B" mode. Its much more aggressive than my i3s. Also coming out of the i3 and going into this car you feel the size especially in narrow roads where cars are parked on either side. In terms of ride quality it is a lot better than the i3. The suspension is softer and also the drive train is very quiet. When you tick above 50 mph there is some minimal wind noise coming off the mirrors otherwise and very good well built car with luxury touches through out. The seats were especially comfortable. Its quiet compared to the i3. This was on Yokohoma tyres and there are suggestions that Bridgestone tyres are noisier. Another annoying thing was when ever Mrs wanted to use the round dial for the infotainment she accidently knocked the drive select to "D". It's pretty quick too but my days of boy racer are long gone! Overall though a great and better alternative than the Q4. When I started, the range was 199 miles and upon returning it was showing 150 miles but we only had driven 30 miles. Obviously need more time to test the range properly. I drove in the city and some country driving in the Peak District. I ordered mine in May and is expected September/October and the dealer said there were no delays so far.
Appreciate 1
gray1x12.00
      08-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #15
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

After unfortunately totalling my previous car in May (330e) ordered a new iX3. Carbonblack, mocha interior, shadow pack ... "impressive" trim level (think that's premier edition pro on the UK? Very much looking forward to the delivery, especially as I picked a stock-car, it was already standing there at the dealership so was expecting a very smooth delivery. sadly, just like with my previous car delivery is absolutely horrible. Order has now been confirmed almost 3 weeks and still no delivery date known despite multiple calls. Communication or pro-active approach is close to 0 and I have to say with companies like Tesla & Polestar taking an online approach (with much better communication, at least that's what I hear from friends with these cars) you have to wonder if a dealer or sales-rep can't bring any concrete & speedy replies or follow-up/service what is their added value at this point?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Hi I think it could be the Premier pro but with it in Europe there are some slight variations. As for customer service i think you will it same everywhere even here in UK. Not very good service. You have to keep calling and if they feel like talking they will answer the phone if you're lucky.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:17 AM   #17
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Hi I think it could be the Premier pro but with it in Europe there are some slight variations. As for customer service i think you will it same everywhere even here in UK. Not very good service. You have to keep calling and if they feel like talking they will answer the phone if you're lucky.
I think that it comes down to the relationship that you have with your local dealer. My dealer did me a very good deal on my second i3 in March 2019, and they offered me an excellent part exchange deal when I contacted them about an iX3 in early July. They also negotiated with BMW UK to get me one of their unregistered demonstrators which involved transporting the vehicle from one of their other branches.

Getting back to the iX3. Driving around the A roads of North Shropshire and NorthEast Wales yesterday, I achieved an average of 3.6miles/kWh which, given the weight of the car, is pretty good. I suspect that my driving style wasn’t as efficient as it should have been as adaptive regeneration just feels wrong after one pedal driving. The car starts to brake a lot later as it coasts a long way when the foot is first removed from the accelerator before braking quite harshly as a junction/roundabout is reached. It is also worth mentioning that when driving in ‘D’ as opposed to ‘B’, the car will creep forward if the foot is taken off the accelerator pedal after the car has been brought to a halt. It does this in ‘R’ as well.

I had a minor panic yesterday when I was checking what was in the rear of the car. My handover was rather short with minimal contact. The tyre inflator and sealant are in their own bag with a foam former for the wheel nut etc. These items were missing. On looking again, they have been removed from the kit and spread around the boot area. All rather odd.

The granny charger is as big as a breeze block and twice the weight. It comes with a plug in 13 amp cable/plug. Looking at the iX3 brochure, it would seem that other plugs/cables are available.

Charging is straightforward. There is no longer the option to set 3.6kW charging. There is also a setting to charge up to 80% (day-to-day) and 100% (long trips). Initially, I thought that this might be to protect battery life but I can see from the handbook that it is to recognise the reduction in the rapid charger rate above 80%. There is also an option to limit the rate of rapid charging to comply with any local noise restrictions. IDrive also allows you to set ‘unlock’ on the cable when charging is complete. A minor concern: the charging door is like the car very big. I just wonder how it will fair in very strong winds?

PS: Did I mention, that compared to the width of the tyres on the i3, the iX3’s tyres are huge. I can now see why I have spent the last 3 years bouncing around in my old i3 on the poorly surfaced roads of North Shropshire.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:06 AM   #18
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Hi that was a pretty good overview of the car and yes I too noticed that the tyres were massive compared to the I3. I had a puncture recently it cost nearly £190 to have it replaced. I have no idea what these would cost.

As for customer service Sytner are not bad. The trouble I had was that the guy I deal through got a promotion and so strictly speaking he is not in sales which is why i had difficulty. I have dealt with him for the last 8 years.

Quick question on adaptive regen as you approach a junction or round about does the car put on the brakes suddenly only when it is near or soon as you lift the foot off the accelerator?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:18 AM   #19
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Hi that was a pretty good overview of the car and yes I too noticed that the tyres were massive compared to the I3. I had a puncture recently it cost nearly £190 to have it replaced. I have no idea what these would cost.

As for customer service Sytner are not bad. The trouble I had was that the guy I deal through got a promotion and so strictly speaking he is not in sales which is why i had difficulty. I have dealt with him for the last 8 years.

Quick question on adaptive regen as you approach a junction or round about does the car put on the brakes suddenly only when it is near or soon as you lift the foot off the accelerator?
Looking on the web, replacement tyres appear to be c.£150 each for non run flats.

Adaptive regen. The car uses GPS mapping to pinpoint roundabouts etc. It also monitors speed signs and traffic lights. When you lift your foot off the accelerator, the car just coasts and suddenly the adaptive regen needle drops and the car slows down but, as far as I can tell it doesn’t stop. The moment an indicator is selected for a turn or a roundabout, then regen kicks in immediately. There is a good BMW How to video for the IX3 on this subject on YouTube. The difficult bit is re-educating one’s foot to use the brake pedal again, and to remember not to lift one’s foot off the brake whilst waiting in traffic if driving in manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #20
gray1x
Private
Rep

Thanks for the review 👍 can't wait to get mine now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #21
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for that. I think the adaptive regen "D" mode would work better on the motorways and the "B" mode in the city.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:03 AM   #22
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Happy to say I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning, just received the appointment. Need to pick up family on Saturday at the Belgian coast so great first drive 😊 looking forward to it.
Appreciate 2
JAV6441.50
DaveCV37.00