11-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6

Lug Bolt from hell

Hi all,

First off I feel like an absolute moron (because I can be). I had a busy day planned and wanted to remove my rear left wheel for a quick project and got stuck on the last lug bolt. I think all of them must've been tightened at least 1000lb. My 400 lb ft impact wrench didn't even touch them.

Becoming frustrated and impatient, i tried some dumb things to give me a lovely stripped lug bolt. It's hard to know this thing was a hex bolt at one point. Now of course with major regrets, I come here looking for help on how I can remove this bolt. I'm thinking about trying an extractor set that i've seen others use online. Anyone try this or have any other tips? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
My wife just went through this with a wheel lock on her 550 when having new tires installed. My son tried the extractors, hammering a socket over all to no avail. I bought and shipped and specialty tool I had seen used in a youtube video and that did not work. Ultimately she took it to an indy shop we have done business with for many years and they drilled the center and extracted it.

Call some shops and see if you can find someone with some prior experience on doing this and pay whatever they are asking. This is not the first time my household has had to deal with over torqued lugs or stripped wheel locks on a BMW. It is exhausting.

Keep us posted on how ya get through it.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I used an extractor set and 1/2 breaker bar with pretty decent success. I had to replace 10 of my lug bolts.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If the lug bolt has any sides left that can still grip the bolt if a socket is place on it...you can give it one last try by using leverage. By that I mean a long torque bar used with the socket...the longer the torque bar the better. The longer the bar...the easier it will be to loosen the lug bolt. If you have any metal piping...you could use that by slipping it over the handle of your socket wrench handle.

I carry a metal pipe (in my trunk/cargo area) that is about 3½ ft long due to past experiences with over-tightened lug bolts. I guess it can come in handy if I need to crack a few skulls, too.

I had this same issue as the OP when I first purchased my f06 650iX GC. And it was discovered when trying to mount my winter tires for the first time. The front right wheel lug bolts were over-tightened. We were able to get 4 of them off manually by using a 6ft steel pipe over the handle of the wheel wrench. The 6 ft pole moved the lug bolts like butter...after failed attempt using a smaller hand wrench and quickly determining that the impact wrench wasn't doing anything but destroying the lug bolt. The 5th one still wouldn't yield because it had got rounded down using the impact wrench.

The end result after multiple attempts to get the remaining bolt off (heat & welding)...the wheel had to eventually be destroyed...along with the wheel hub. I ended up needing a new wheel hub and a new Style 356 wheel. The work was done by a local Indy shop that tried to do everything possible to do as little damage as they could.

The only good that came from this experience is that I ended up power coating my Style 356 wheels so that they all would match look the same. You can see the damaged area of the original wheel (highlighted in red) in the pic below...compared to the new powder coating.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

You can also try this, just hand tight all the bolts back, give them a little slack. Do a quick accelerate for a few feet and hard brake. The wheel will shift a little to loosen the grip of that over tighten lug so it can be remove a lot easier.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6

Thank you all for the valuable info here. I’m still working on it. I started with a 12 point but no luck. Then tried a bolt extractor on an 18in breaker bar with a steel tube over. Still no cigar. My mechanic is going to drill it out for me. Thank you all for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update. Wish you the best with getting it off.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Man sorry to hear that it had to escalate to the mechanic but I am sure it is in good hands.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Found this on FCP Euro today. I hope to never need to do this again but tire shops.... sigh.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lug-driller-cta-1775
Appreciate 0