BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Connect Delete

As you all know, those of us with 4G based connect systems will lose our connections on January 31. This means many things, but the most concerning, for me, is the loss of tracking in case of theft. I’m thinking about using an Apple AirTag, concealing it somewhere in the car where it won’t be found - or - heard. They emit a tone when they get too far from home.

Somewhere in the trunk, perhaps? Or maybe under an incision in a rear carpet?

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 1
Derekz4169.00
      01-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I think you will find your best answer in the Cocaine Forum.
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      01-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Actually, I was thinking the same thing about the Airtag.

I dont use guidance too often, but it sure was nice to have it on my Heads up display and traffic on the maps last night.

Im still holding out hope that they will get this fixed for us.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      01-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I can't see the need to make an incision in the carpet since they are small. Just slip it under there or maybe inside the liner under your trunk lid. You'll be surprised how much electronic stuff is under there. But when you say it makes a sound when too far from home, do you mean an audible sound from the device itself? That seems odd for two reasons - if you loan your car to someone they will have to listen to it and if a thief hears it, he will find it and attach it to a passing city bus before you ever get to the location. Can it be silenced?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post

I dont use guidance too often, but it sure was nice to have it on my Heads up display and traffic on the maps last night.

This issue is discussed a lot more in the 5 series forum and nobody there continues to hold out hope of a fix from BMW. The fixes seem to be two - you buy a used donor control unit/module (the exact name of which I forget) which is tied to the donor VIN and thereafter Connected Drive services are tied to that VIN, or I also think (maybe) you can get a new such unit from BMW and have them do it, and lately there is talk of a third-party provider fixing at least some of the issues by something called a blue tooth bridge. I can fix mechanical stuff in my sleep, but I'm not a techie and all of the talk surrounding the implementation of these things makes them sound so complex and/or uncertain that I have basically stopped paying attention because I know I won't do any of them. But if you are more determined than I am, you can peruse this thread, among others:

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798690
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Just for verification…when you say “guidance” are you referring to map navigation? If yes, you won’t be losing that feature on the iDrive screen or on the HUD. You will be losing RTTI (traffic info)…but you’ll still be able to enter a destination & use destinations that you already have stored. You will also still be able to use guidance from any POI (point of interest) data you have from your nav map data. And you will still be able to update your nav maps (in case you still have old ones or the original maps.

In regards to hiding Airtags…there’s lots of small spaces. The first aid kit compartment in the trunk, the holder and the area below it where the rear fuses are located, the map pockets behind the front seats, the card holder in the top of the center armrest, the rear armrest area, hang it on the trunk’s emergency release handle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      01-12-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just for verification…when you say “guidance” are you referring to map navigation? If yes, you won’t be losing that feature on the iDrive screen or on the HUD. You will be losing RTTI (traffic info)…but you’ll still be able to enter a destination & use destinations that you already have stored. You will also still be able to use guidance from any POI (point of interest) data you have from your nav map data. And you will still be able to update your nav maps (in case you still have old ones or the original maps.

In regards to hiding Airtags…there’s lots of small spaces. The first aid kit compartment in the trunk, the holder and the area below it where the rear fuses are located, the map pockets behind the front seats, the card holder in the top of the center armrest, the rear armrest area, hang it on the trunk’s emergency release handle.
I guess that is somewhat good news. I was under the impression that the directions shown in the HUD was lost too. Other than trying to get the address in the navigation, I found the directions in the HUD to be quite handy.
I couldn’t say the same with entering addresses with voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Why would you want Apple to track and violate your privacy even more than they already do? And you want to open yourself up to hackers and theives on top of Apple? Doesn't make sense to me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/apple-...vacy-concerns/

BTW, it's the 3G connection we are losing, not 4G. I don't think it is that big of a loss and it was inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess that is somewhat good news. I was under the impression that the directions shown in the HUD was lost too. Other than trying to get the address in the navigation, I found the directions in the HUD to be quite handy.
I couldn’t say the same with entering addresses with voice commands.

What I will miss is the ability to send a destination from my phone.

I can't ever remember using any of the other things that will be lost (see pic below). I guess if I was in an accident or if someone stole my vehicle...having those services would be missed.

I don't find entering addresses manually that difficult...in fact, I don't even attempt voice commands for entering destinations. Thankfully the X5 has the "touch" iDrive scroll wheel...so when in that vehicle it is easy just to "write" the address into the system. And as mentioned in my previous post...if you have updated nav maps...you can use the POI (point of interest) feature to enter the address for guidance if you're going to a business address. And if it is a place that you will frequent...you can save the destination so you can quickly find it again without having to enter the address.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Why would you want Apple to track and violate your privacy even more than they already do? And you want to open yourself up to hackers and theives on top of Apple? Doesn't make sense to me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/apple-...vacy-concerns/

BTW, it's the 3G connection we are losing, not 4G. I don't think it is that big of a loss and it was inevitable.
/sarcasm <— at least I hope that’s how this post was intended.
      01-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #11
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

3g service is phasing out. 4g based services will remain. For our cars, 2016 and earlier I belive are 3g based. 2017 and up 4g. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this as I have a 17 f06 640 and it's equipped with id5 which should be 4g based.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
3g service is phasing out. 4g based services will remain. For our cars, 2016 and earlier I belive are 3g based. 2017 and up 4g. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this as I have a 17 f06 640 and it's equipped with id5 which should be 4g based.
You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
If you go to BMW Online (in iDrive)…if you had 2G or have 3G…you should see the 2G or 3G icon in the upper left (or in the border/heading). You can see an example in the pic below where you can see the 3G icon in the upper left of the screen:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0