BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #67
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
I'm sorry, "we" as in the science community. This thread is a science thread and not about religion or faith. Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a creator that created the big bang and set the "rules" of the universe. Just look at evolution alone, it's damn amazing to see in plants and animals over thousands/millions of years.
Once again evolution is also a theory. It also once again sounds like you witnessed plants and animals over thousands and millions of years. Are you immortal? :-)

Did you know that no human being in all recorded human history has ever witnessed anything evolve? Look at the fruit fly of which scientists have literally breaded hundreds of thousands of generations and each generation always turns out to be a fruit fly. Even when we mess with the DNA sometimes they can get messed up fruit flies but lo and behold in the end it's always a fruit fly. For some reason people think that when genetic code gets messed up the organism changes. It certainly does but it changes for the worse. Errors in complex genetic code can't create more complexity. How can an error in genetic code add to an organisms complexity? If a human beings genetic code is messed up and a child is born without a hand and that child grows up and marries another person that has the same birth defect would they start giving birth to children with no hands? Of course not.

Did you know they have "50 million" year old fossils of alligators? Frogs also. The exact same frogs and alligators we have today. So there's that.
Again....you should educate yourself on evolution before attacking! I'm not going to waste time trying to. You can find many papers on proof of evolution going back millions of years. Evolution is not a theory, it's a fact with proof all over nature.

Evolution doesn't need to happen, it only happens when needed, like when environment changes or food supply changes. Evolution is at time pushed to create "survival of the fittest" in nature.

Did you know that the spanish flu is still around today? It mutated (evolution) to a form that killed less but was just as if not more contagious and is still around today. A virus doesn't want to kill the host, it rather keep it alive and continue to duplicate. "Mutation" is part of nature and is normal.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      07-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #68
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
You really should educate yourself more before coming and attacking. Math (calculations of light thru the universe along with expansion of the universe) along with radiation measurements is proof that the universe started at a point. This theory is not something that came out of someone's ass but years of calculations and modeling!
I’m not attacking anyone. This is a discussion. Also those math equations are based solely on what they think they know. There’s absolutely no way for them to know based on the current movement of radiation and light that both of those movements have been constant. They are guessing that based on what they see now. But like I said before it’s impossible for anyone to prove them correct or incorrect. Therefore it’s a theory and a faith.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #69
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

IMO there is no proof the Universe is expanding. The biggest problem here is that to judge speeds and distances in 3 dimensions where everything is assumed to be moving, you need 2 fixed points (separate celestial bodies). We don't have that. We have rates of change that seem to be stable. But when you're talking billions of lightyears, a 0.10% margin of error is still a really huge number. Also on our very small human timescale, we're not going to see changes big enough to measure with any accuracy.

Also Hubble has a limited view and it's assumed it can not see to the end of the Universe.
All we could every know from it might be when the Universe shrinks and it starts seeing that. But we never will.

Space, outside of Earth orbital, is 100% fruitless and pointless to spend money on. There are far more pressing matters we should be tackling.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #70
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
IMO there is no proof the Universe is expanding. The biggest problem here is that to judge speeds and distances in 3 dimensions where everything is assumed to be moving, you need 2 fixed points (separate celestial bodies). We don't have that. We have rates of change that seem to be stable. But when you're talking billions of lightyears, a 0.10% margin of error is still a really huge number. Also on our very small human timescale, we're not going to see changes big enough to measure with any accuracy.
Your opinion is worthless because you don't even understand how they are measuring the expansion of the universe (or even how they measure distances in *******.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #71
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

It's incredibly well accepted, tested, and confirmed via hundreds of experiments and observations by thousands of astrophysicist, astronomers, scientist, etc., that:

1. Our universe started with a singularity and its expansion created space and time, and
2. That expansion is currently accelerating and will likely end in a big rip.

Having doubts is fine, but your doubts are your own and not supported by the massive amounts of literature and research.
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3508.50
rmanm4870.50
Humdizzle6024.00
      07-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #72
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
It's incredibly well accepted, tested, and confirmed via hundreds of experiments and observations by thousands of astrophysicist, astronomers, scientist, etc., that:

1. Our universe started with a singularity and its expansion created space and time, and

Having doubts is fine, but your doubts are your own and not supported by the massive amounts of literature and research.
The people that have doubts are ones that are lazy to take time to read and understand the research/papers and mathematical proof. When you don't understand or grasp it, that is when you toss up your hands and say "it's a theory and I don't see proof"! It's like the flat earth people, even if we shoot them up into space and make them look out the window, they will still claim it's all Hollywood!
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      07-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #73
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Everything scientific discovery that is now fact started with a theory. Without theories we would never have scientific achievements, we would never learn or grow. People want to talk about not having proof of the big bang, proof of expansion, well there is no "proof" of God or any creator either, so to say one cant be real while saying the other is, is hypocritical and naïve. I don't think it's any less likely that the universe was created from nothing and evolution is how we came to exist as it is God created the universe and all life. Maybe God is the universe and we are just part of its cycle? We don't know.

Even with all of our theories, discoveries, tests, books, facts, opinions, etc about the universe, we haven't even scratched the surface. We don't even know if there is an end to the universe, all we know about is the observable universe because we can't see beyond it with our currently technology. If we reached the edge of what we know as the observable universe, would it just keep going? We don't know, and I honestly don't think we ever will know.

The idea that space is infinite just blows my mind. The human mind can't truly comprehend something that never ends.

This whole thread had me wondering if, say one day we can travel to intergalactic space, could we survive? Could an object made of matter even travel through intergalactic space where they say theres less than one atom per cubic meter?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #74
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

OK let’s get something straight about you two points. 1. Is a theory. There are lots of scientists that believe that because some of the numbers they have shows that could’ve happened. Stop speaking of it like it’s fact. That is not true and misleading. 2. Part of your point number two is correct. The universe is currently accelerating. The second part of that sentence is also a theory and believed to be true by some scientists.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #75
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Everything scientific discovery that is now fact started with a theory. Without theories we would never have scientific achievements, we would never learn or grow. People want to talk about not having proof of the big bang, proof of expansion, well there is no "proof" of God or any creator either, so to say one cant be real while saying the other is, is hypocritical and naïve. I don't think it's any less likely that the universe was created from nothing and evolution is how we came to exist as it is God created the universe and all life. Maybe God is the universe and we are just part of its cycle? We don't know.

Even with all of our theories, discoveries, tests, books, facts, opinions, etc about the universe, we haven't even scratched the surface. We don't even know if there is an end to the universe, all we know about is the observable universe because we can't see beyond it with our currently technology. If we reached the edge of what we know as the observable universe, would it just keep going? We don't know, and I honestly don't think we ever will know.

The idea that space is infinite just blows my mind. The human mind can't truly comprehend something that never ends.

This whole thread had me wondering if, say one day we can travel to intergalactic space, could we survive? Could an object made of matter even travel through intergalactic space where they say theres less than one atom per cubic meter?
Isn’t it interesting how your first paragraph states that we know everything or at least how the universe started and that’s pretty close to everything and then you go onto your second paragraph where you say the extreme opposite? I thoroughly agree with your second paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #76
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
The people that have doubts are ones that are lazy to take time to read and understand the research/papers and mathematical proof. When you don't understand or grasp it, that is when you toss up your hands and say "it's a theory and I don't see proof"! It's like the flat earth people, even if we shoot them up into space and make them look out the window, they will still claim it's all Hollywood!
And they take their ignorance as proof.

Like the guy I responded to. "We cant measure that accurately!"

Well, shocker, we actually can measure quite accurately to great distances. We use binocular vision and its really easy. Take a measurement when the earth is on one side of the sun, wait 6 months, take another when the earth is on the other side. On average youre a 93 MILLION mile spread, could be up to 150million. And then just like your brain does every day with your two eyes we triangulate. Its how your eyes, which are only 60mm apart, can tell how far away and how quickly that football is coming at you from 60 meters and catch it. Only with far more sophisticated measuring equipment and supercomputers doing the math.

And he even mentioned the name hubbell but is obivously ignorant to the fact that hubbell is famous because he was the person who actually proved the universe is expanding by measuring the red shift of distant stars and galaxies, and that the further away galaxies were even more red shifted(and we dont have to be accurate to .01%, we just look at a galaxy that is twice as far away).

Its like saying "Its impossible to win at checkers because I personally haven't read the rules!"
Appreciate 2
rmanm4870.50
Littlebear3508.50
      07-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #77
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Well, in the sense of could it continue to exist and not disperse, yes. Due to strong molecular force. Now, could it move fast enough and store enough provisions to keep someone alive in side of it, not with known technology.

As far as "mind blown," to the layman yes. But to theoretical physicists its their day job. It is still fascinating though, especially when they are able to successfully test things.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #78
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's been a long while since I looked: have we explained the duality of light yet?

I was reminded of it the other day at the ophthalmologist. Cover left eye, OPZECL. Cover right, xxx. Now, cover left with this gizmo (various holes in symmetry) DANG, I don't have to memorize it, I can SEE it! AND the next line.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #79
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
OK let’s get something straight about you two points. 1. Is a theory. There are lots of scientists that believe that because some of the numbers they have shows that could’ve happened. Stop speaking of it like it’s fact. That is not true and misleading. 2. Part of your point number two is correct. The universe is currently accelerating. The second part of that sentence is also a theory and believed to be true by some scientists.
What's the purpose of your clarification? Some like to claim the Big Bang is just a theory, but that's mincing words and being pedantic. Scientist stopped calling theories "laws" decades ago.

The Big Bang Theory and current space time expansion is supported by a tremendous amount of rigorous testing, consistent with observations and experiments, enjoys nearly universal acceptance across the scientific community, and there's not a single competing theory that's being taken seriously.

And there are some issues with Big Bang? Sure. Uniformity of background microwaves (CBR), and critical density of our universe are a couple, but these are minor issues. For all intents it's a fact or law, but we don't call it that because we're always tweaking the periphery, refining measurements, etc.

Last edited by Manny01; 07-28-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      08-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #80
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #81
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's the purpose of your clarification? Some like to claim the Big Bang is just a theory, but that's mincing words and being pedantic. Scientist stopped calling theories "laws" decades ago.

The Big Bang Theory and current space time expansion is supported by a tremendous amount of rigorous testing, consistent with observations and experiments, enjoys nearly universal acceptance across the scientific community, and there's not a single competing theory that's being taken seriously.

And there are some issues with Big Bang? Sure. Uniformity of background microwaves (CBR), and critical density of our universe are a couple, but these are minor issues. For all intents it's a fact or law, but we don't call it that because we're always tweaking the periphery, refining measurements, etc.
Yeah among many issues not least of which no one has any idea if the expansion of the universe has been at a constant speed. How would you know? How would they know? All they can do is observe and measure today and assume the rest. I.e. a theory. I rest my case. There is zero point in arguing anymore about it because there is no chance in the world anyone can prove this theory right and there’s no chance in the world anyone else can prove it wrong. Ever. Not unless your boys who you seem to give so much credence to invent a time machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #82
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I truly beleive our understanding of light is fundementally flawed and may solve many of our current misunderstandings.

Agree with this. Baffles me that there could be a speed limit just because of an equation. Until we solve this "barrier", we are stuck in this solar system @ 0,0,0,0. Boring!
      08-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #83
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Been thinking this for a many years now: we don’t actually move through space and time but they move to accommodate what we do instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #84
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's been a long while since I looked: have we explained the duality of light yet?

I was reminded of it the other day at the ophthalmologist. Cover left eye, OPZECL. Cover right, xxx. Now, cover left with this gizmo (various holes in symmetry) DANG, I don't have to memorize it, I can SEE it! AND the next line.
Basically everything is both matter and wave, everything vibrates. Its just the less mass it has the more it vibrates. Its just the energy/mass relationship that causes light (or more accurately electromagnetic radiation) to behave differently.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #85
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

wait a second!!!

i think your talking about BIOLOGY now or is it BIOSCIENCE
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #86
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Been thinking this for a many years now: we don’t actually move through space and time but they move to accommodate what we do instead.
Sounds a lot like a simulation to me. After all everything we see and experience is filtered through our brains. Our brains already take in the data from our senses, processes it and creates its own interpretation of that data.

I mean there could be aliens standing in front of you right now but our brains simply do not process them in the same way we cannot see most of the light spectrum or hear most frequencies etc.
Appreciate 2
BMW F223540.00
      08-06-2021, 12:58 AM   #87
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I mean there could be aliens standing in front of you right now but our brains simply do not process them in the same way we cannot see most of the light spectrum or hear most frequencies etc.
Yep... watching everything you do and you don't even know it lol

EVERYTHING......
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #88
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Black Holes rule