BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #1
carl0s
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i & 2001 330i

M6 GC factory x-pipe ?

Hi

I am going to fit catless DPs, and have a remap.
I want the car to sound less like a dyson, maybe a bit raspy, or just more muscly.

I don't want to spend too much. M5 / M6 exhaust system prices are an absolute joke.

I'm going to do the DPs soon, and the map (bm3).
After that I'll attack the exhaust with a cutter and welder. I will start with removing the resonators

I'm unsure on the x-pipe though. It looks, from photos online, that there is already an x-pipe in there on the factory exhaust. Is that correct? No point cutting that out to fit another then?

thanks,
Carl
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
Hi

I am going to fit catless DPs, and have a remap.
I want the car to sound less like a dyson, maybe a bit raspy, or just more muscly.

I don't want to spend too much. M5 / M6 exhaust system prices are an absolute joke.

I'm going to do the DPs soon, and the map (bm3).
After that I'll attack the exhaust with a cutter and welder. I will start with removing the resonators

I'm unsure on the x-pipe though. It looks, from photos online, that there is already an x-pipe in there on the factory exhaust. Is that correct? No point cutting that out to fit another then?

thanks,
Carl
Hey ,if your car is a comp pack then the resonator tubes are hollow already ,
The problem with the factory exhaust giving a deeper tone is the midsection where the two pipes join ,I guess you can call it a baby X section its very pinched and choked,When you change the downpipes it will get much louder but the tone will be the same ,I attached a pic the Meistershaft Velocity box and you can see how much more opened it is vs stock, its also 3-1/2" tubing vs 3in
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Hey ,if your car is a comp pack then the resonator tubes are hollow already ,
The problem with the factory exhaust giving a deeper tone is the midsection where the two pipes join ,I guess you can call it a baby X section its very pinched and choked,When you change the downpipes it will get much louder but the tone will be the same ,I attached a pic the Meistershaft Velocity box and you can see how much more opened it is vs stock, its also 3-1/2" tubing vs 3in
Really great pics - thanks for posting! Would I be right in thinking that Meistershaft Velocity box can only be used with the Meistershaft muffler due to the difference in piping size vs OEM?

edit: answered my own question - you can get a reducer to join the velocity box to the factory piping - I'm assuming this is a generic part or something an exhaust shop could knock up easily?

Last edited by MMMM6GC; 10-10-2021 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Really great pics - thanks for posting! Would I be right in thinking that Meistershaft Velocity box can only be used with the Meistershaft muffler due to the difference in piping size vs OEM?

edit: answered my own question - you can get a reducer to join the velocity box to the factory piping - I'm assuming this is a generic part or something an exhaust shop could knock up easily?
Im sure a good exhaust shop can fabricate pipes to connect from 3 to 3.5
I would use a really good fabrication shop rather than a generic muffler shop, you want to make sure there using good materials for the job

I went the other route, I kept my stock exhaust intact, 2-1/2 years ago was able to purchase a Full Meistershaft GTC for a great price ,if I want to sell the car one day I would install the stock exhaust back on and sell the Meistershaft for close to what I paid for it
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      10-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Im sure a good exhaust shop can fabricate pipes to connect from 3 to 3.5
I would use a really good fabrication shop rather than a generic muffler shop, you want to make sure there using good materials for the job

I went the other route, I kept my stock exhaust intact, 2-1/2 years ago was able to purchase a Full Meistershaft GTC for a great price ,if I want to sell the car one day I would install the stock exhaust back on and sell the Meistershaft for close to what I paid for it
That would be ideal really! I've been weighing up exhaust options for ages and haven't settled on what I want - or seen a deal for a good used system come up. I have the Comp package and at this point I'm leaning towards getting a Soul performance system (as it's very cost effective). But working upstream from there, the next restriction is the x-pipe, then the downpipes.

My thinking was to work my way up - see how I feel about the sound from the Soul exhaust ($1k). If i want more, get the velocity box ($1.6k). If I want more still, get DPs. It'll end up being a frankenstein set up but the flip-side is I can piecemeal the upgrades and stop when I'm satisfied?

The alternatives are Akra ($5-8k), full Meistershaft ($5k), full Eisenmann ($6.5k), and with all those I'm gambling on the sound until I purchase + install, and I may STILL want DPs.

I might get an estimate on the cost of a custom system DP-back from a local fabricator, but I suspect that would come out a similar price to these existing well-engineering options.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also apologies for the thread-jack but hopefully OP will find this info useful. Would there be much difference between a Comp exhaust (with flaps wired open) vs muffler delete like Soul performance?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #7
yusoslo
Rep
Drives: ford escape

I hope to be of some help.
I just bought a comp F12 and will be getting down pipes I plan on doing a double x pipe in place of
The factory x pipe and resonator. The goal is a higher pitch and more audible rev range as I feel
These cars can sound monotone.

I will be making videos of my experiment.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      10-24-2021, 12:19 AM   #8
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Let us know how it goes and the shop you use! I'm not too far from you, would be amazing to hear the results!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:20 AM   #9
carl0s
Rep

Hi everybody, thanks for the replies and especially the photos. I didn't realise there had been replies here.
I have done the downpipes and a bootmod3 stage 2 aggressive burble. It's peaked my interest in the car again for now. I might want to get rid of the aggressive burble and change the X pipe instead though. At the moment it gets loud only with heavy throttle. It might be nice if it got louder with 1/3rd throttle, given the amount of power that there is, and wet roads etc.
I would be very interested in seeing/hearing the difference with the x pipe change Yusoslo, please keep us posted!
cheers,
Carl

Last edited by carl0s; 10-24-2021 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
carl0s
Rep

Finally got some good weather today and quiet roads.
The car sounds and goes great.

I am getting clutch slip in 5th gear at ~5,000rpm.

I might do the XHP trans flash to increase clamping from 18bar to 20bar.
Appreciate 1