BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #1
wez130
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Sunroof liner stuck

Hi guys, thanks for the add. I have a 2013 F06 640i, I have an issue with the sunroof liner, the back part of it is stuck open and I cannot move it. Rather than take it in to get it looked at, I want to take the opportunity to have a look at it myself to see if I can sort it out. I have a trim removal kit, and the torque drivers I need. However, i'm struggling to find any guides to remove the roof lining. Is it just a matter of...

1. removing the light unit
2. Unscrewing the sunblinds
3. Removing A pillar covers and B pillar covers
4. Do IU really need to take it all off (remove C pillars)?

Does that look about right or am I missing anything? Anybody else had any exerience of this, as googling it seems to bring it up as a pretty common issue on BMW's!

Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:08 PM   #2
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Wild guess but did you happen to replace or disconnect the battery?

Your sunroof may need to be reinitialized. You can look it up on YT.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Tagging along, my 2nd panel broke off track and is stuck in cavity as well. Dealership wants about $1500+ to repair it, so i've been leaving it as-is for the past year so I can DIY, still cant figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 10:10 PM   #4
wez130
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Wild guess but did you happen to replace or disconnect the battery?

Your sunroof may need to be reinitialized. You can look it up on YT.
No, that's the 1st thing I tried. I haven't looked any further into it yet as it's not really bothering me but it's something I will want to sort out eventually
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 05:38 PM   #5
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wez130 View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the add. I have a 2013 F06 640i, I have an issue with the sunroof liner, the back part of it is stuck open and I cannot move it. Rather than take it in to get it looked at, I want to take the opportunity to have a look at it myself to see if I can sort it out. I have a trim removal kit, and the torque drivers I need. However, i'm struggling to find any guides to remove the roof lining. Is it just a matter of...

1. removing the light unit
2. Unscrewing the sunblinds
3. Removing A pillar covers and B pillar covers
4. Do IU really need to take it all off (remove C pillars)?

Does that look about right or am I missing anything? Anybody else had any exerience of this, as googling it seems to bring it up as a pretty common issue on BMW's!

Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
i had a similar issue, i bought a replacement switch off ebay, (because my SOS button was broken), tried to replace it then the entire sunroof didn't close, ended up buying the new console switch and coded it with Bimmercode and everything worked fine. If your alarm still makes noise when you lock the door(this how i realized i jacked up the roof module), if your roof module doesn't show up in Bimmer code its something wrong with the actual switch i would try coding off the Bimmercode app for 50$ first and see if it reinitializes it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #6
wez130
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
i had a similar issue, i bought a replacement switch off ebay, (because my SOS button was broken), tried to replace it then the entire sunroof didn't close, ended up buying the new console switch and coded it with Bimmercode and everything worked fine. If your alarm still makes noise when you lock the door(this how i realized i jacked up the roof module), if your roof module doesn't show up in Bimmer code its something wrong with the actual switch i would try coding off the Bimmercode app for 50$ first and see if it reinitializes it.

The button is operational, the sunroof opens as it should, and when I press to close the cover, the motor operates as it should, but the rear part of the cover is stuck fast in its open position.
Appreciate 0