BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
xito_a
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi GC

F06 650i GC Tuning

Ive been wanting to tune my 6 series for a little while now and because winter is soon to be over I am now looking into doing it soon.

I wanted to know if bootmod3 was worth it considering the F06 version is over 1000$ CAD and also if an upgraded charge pipe or spark plugs are needed.

I plan on going stage 1 for now and seeing how I like the power, and if i want more i would probably downpipe and go stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

I copied in my answer to a similar question below, but for quick hits on your questions:
-Hell yes it's worth it, woke the engine right up and eliminated a handful of annoying characteristics of the factory tune/settings.
-No mods required for stage 1, though one step colder plugs is recommended. I don't recall (And don't have time right now to look up) which NGKs exactly I used, but the ones recommended as a replacement for stock N63tu is a little colder than OE, I have those with stage 1 BM3 and no issues, seems to be working well.
-Stage 2 the main difference is downpipes, either catless or high-flow catted, as that seems to be a major bottleneck for high-rpm power. Stage 2 also shifts the plugs recommendation to 2 steps colder than OE, and I've seen upgraded charge pipe as a peace of mind step with the higher boost pressures.

Quote:
Most folks go with BM3 since it's not a one-time flash, you can access different tunes, updates, etc., and can use their website interface to seek out custom tunes as well. That's the direction I ended up going (Stage 1, no other mods unless you count spark plugs) and I'm happy with it. I was looking at the Mission Performance tune as well since it looked to have the least high-rpm drop-off from what dyno charts I could find, but they went quiet a few years back and stopped working on N63-series tunes it seems, and the above BM3 flexibility sold me. Got everything I was looking for and more:
-Dramatic improvement in midrange torque (which was already a strength so now it's really fun, kinda accentuates the high-rpm drop-off though...minor complaint)
-Eliminated the annoying throttle delay
-Removed limiter
-Turned off cold start
-BONUS - No more rough idle!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
xito_a
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi GC

did you say no more rough idle?? i think that may have just sold me right there
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xito_a View Post
did you say no more rough idle?? i think that may have just sold me right there

Right? For such a seemingly minor thing, it was driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 11:11 PM   #5
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Definitely worth it, but I will say make sure your car is in great running shape prior to. I loved the stage 2 till the car broke… was it me and mods….ehhh think there was an oil leak somewhere I didn’t catch… turned out detrimental

Appreciate 0