BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-03-2023, 03:01 AM   #1
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Possible injector issues?

My F12 M6 currently has 44100 miles on the clock. Cold starts at ambient temp of around 7C (44F) results in an initial slightly lumpy tickover for about 1 minute or so. Then it seems to sort itself out and run smoothly. My last oil lab analysis (oil change at 4000 miles) was deemed satisfactory, with no fuel dilution measurable.

Am I right in thinking this might be an injector issue? I am running on the original injectors, with plugs and coils having been change 4000 miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
It could be the MAF sensors or possibly the O2 senors. If I were to bet it would be the post cat O2's but would not rule out injectors. I think 50k miles is the high side of when you'd want to replace them and given these engines consume oil which will soot up everything from the cats back to the exhaust tips if they haven't been changed yet it would be in good form to go ahead. There are some diag routines in ista that can test for injector issues or if you have something like jb4 you could do some logging and post to the jb4 forums.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I thought the post cat sensors didn’t affect the engine parameters? I thought they were only used for monitoring of the cat’s efficiency?

Just something I read somewhere online. I’d love to hear more if you have some info on this.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 10:24 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I thought the post cat sensors didn’t affect the engine parameters? I thought they were only used for monitoring of the cat’s efficiency?

Just something I read somewhere online. I’d love to hear more if you have some info on this.
That is correct. Had a lot of plates in the air and 4 of them were pads, rotors and sensors for my daughters e93. The pre cats are the ones that will measure burn chemistry of air/fuel. Apologies for the mix up.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Thanks for replies. I think a visit to the local BMW agent is going to be called for. I'd rather replace the injectors now, than have a problem develop later on. The engine does not appear to be burning any oil - no top ups required between oil changes. And since the battery is now 9 years old, that will need replacing soon as well. I've also just been notified of a safety recall regarding the driver's airbag, so maybe get all of it done together!
Appreciate 0