BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-28-2023, 02:29 AM   #1
emillss6m6
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 vert

Buying advice 2015 M6 vert

Hi everyone,

First post on the forum, about to pull the trigger on a 2015 M6 comp convertible. 62k miles. Incredibly excited as I've never owned a BMW.

My daily is a 2016 Audi S6 that's currently sitting north of 600hp 700 tq. Looking for a fun summer car that can fit the kids in the back, and the M6 vert seems an unbeatable value.

I've done my homework on the S63TU and am aware of the challenges, but it seems robust with proper care and maintenance.

This M6 is being sold by a Porsche dealer, 2-owner CPO trade-in. They are offering a pre-purchase work-up to make sure the car is all sorted.

What in particular should I ask them to pay attention to at this mileage? Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 08:57 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Injectors and rod bearings. BMW did extend the warranty for injector to 10 yr / 100k mile. For the rod bearings there is only one way to know for sure and that is to drop the lower assembly and crack the bottom open. A rebuilt S63tu will cost about 12k plus labor. I’ve been through a rebuild and love LOVE my car but I got in the car at a good price point.

I am the 2nd owner of mine and the rod bearings had been done by the dealer while under the ownership of the first owner. All oil and maintenance was done by the dealer and I had recently had the oil changed by the dealer when the engine spun a bearing.

I would suggest getting a year to two year exclusionary warranty or if possible just send the car out right away for rod bearings and if you can swing it forged rods and pistons. You’ll surely have many years of blissful ownership if you do.

There are folks that have high mileage examples of M cars with the S63tu but you are 2nd, 3rd or 4th owner ya never know.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
DRKNTM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

How old are your kids? The backseat of an M6 is specially designed for midgets, so your kids might not fit back there for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillss6m6 View Post
My daily is a 2016 Audi S6 that's currently sitting north of 600hp 700 tq. Looking for a fun summer car that can fit the kids in the back, and the M6 vert seems an unbeatable value.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2023, 03:29 AM   #4
emillss6m6
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 vert

kids are 13 and 11. I'm 5'9" so for short trips they will be fine. thanks for the rod bearing advice...I assume a blackstone analysis looking for copper in the oil is also a good way to see whats happening with the rod bearings, albeit indirectly...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
Matrixman
Rep
Drives: Seeking

Did you end up pulling the trigger on the M6? Any issues so far?
Appreciate 0