BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-07-2023, 05:42 AM   #1
strt_strt
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 series coupe F13

BMW 6 series 2016 and connected services

Hi, I have a BMW 6 series F13, I seem to be missing some settings such as auto folding mirrors. Mirrors are indeed powered but the only way to fold them after you get out of the car is by long pressing the lock button on the fob. The system is updated into the latest version.
(There is no ambient light setting as well.)

I would appreciate any reply

Kind regards

Last edited by strt_strt; 03-07-2023 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you get a chance to read through the owners manual (there's one built into iDrive, too)...there is no auto-fold on lock as standard equipment (at least in the US market). You do have the button on the driver's door window switch block that allows you to fold/unfold the mirrors.

Auto fold/unfold upon lock/unlock is a feature that we have to CODE to activate (here in the US). And there are multiple coding selections for mirror folding...some in the CAS module and some in the FRM module. Perhaps the previous owner only did coding for convenience closing.

You can see all the coding parameters that can be done with the Bimmercode app at this link. The list is alphabetical...just click on the topic and you can see what coding parameters can be done and what module has to be coded: https://bimmercode.app/cars/f12/

You can see the multiple coding parameters for mirror fold/unfold from the Bimmercode app site below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

As I understand it, we're SOL without expensive/pita aftermarket upgrades, because BMWs up to a certain year base their connected services on a now-obsolete-and-phased-out data spectrum (3g I believe). When that went away, <POOF> all BMWs before X date (something like 2018 I wanna say) lost their ability to connect to the network.

That said, if you're the tinkerin' type, it is possible to put in Apple Carplay or Android Auto or a newer version of whatever connects, etc...and people have done it, and damn where do they find the spare time when there's bluetooth to connect your phone but...anyway it can be done and people do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
strt_strt
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 series coupe F13

Hi, I can confirm that connected services work now, I had to pay subscription, it works with 3G... I am based in the UK by the way.
live traffic works, I downloaded mail apps but can't set email accounts at the moment, i get user name and password wrong all the time (posted it into another topic).
About folding mirrors my friend's 2017 4 series indeed it has a setting in the screen under doors settings. Anyway, it may not suported in my car
About Car play, I will also post another thread.

Thanks for your comments
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #5
eye4speed2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you get a chance to read through the owners manual (there's one built into iDrive, too)...there is no auto-fold on lock as standard equipment (at least in the US market). You do have the button on the driver's door window switch block that allows you to fold/unfold the mirrors.

Auto fold/unfold upon lock/unlock is a feature that we have to CODE to activate (here in the US). And there are multiple coding selections for mirror folding...some in the CAS module and some in the FRM module. Perhaps the previous owner only did coding for convenience closing.

You can see all the coding parameters that can be done with the Bimmercode app at this link. The list is alphabetical...just click on the topic and you can see what coding parameters can be done and what module has to be coded: https://bimmercode.app/cars/f12/

You can see the multiple coding parameters for mirror fold/unfold from the Bimmercode app site below:

Thanks for the link, need to update my folding mirrors.

Is there similar coding for unlock all doors after park? (Not sure if below means fob from the dash or fob from the car itself - I carry the fob)

Unlock doors automatically
The doors are unlocked automatically when the key is removed. Please note that this only works if the doors have been locked automatically before.

Values:
Active
Not active
Requirements:
“Car Access System” CAS control unit
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4speed2 View Post
Is there similar coding for unlock all doors after park? (Not sure if below means fob from the dash or fob from the car itself - I carry the fob)

Unlock doors automatically
The doors are unlocked automatically when the key is removed. Please note that this only works if the doors have been locked automatically before.

Values:
Active
Not active
Requirements:
“Car Access System” CAS control unit
Yes...but this feature doesn't work like many of us think it will. It is NOT going to automatically raise the door lock pin (like many GM cars do).

If you have the CAS module coded to auto lock when you drive off (this is what it refers to about "auto-lock")...if you use the coding parameters in your quote...when you turn off the engine (and your doors are locked)...it will only require ONE pull of the door to open it...instead of the TWO pulls usually required to unlock/open a locked door. (this is how it works on my F15 X5...I can't remember if its the same for my f06)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
eye4speed2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Yes...but this feature doesn't work like many of us think it will. It is NOT going to automatically raise the door lock pin (like many GM cars do).

If you have the CAS module coded to auto lock when you drive off (this is what it refers to about "auto-lock")...if you use the coding parameters in your quote...when you turn off the engine (and your doors are locked)...it will only require ONE pull of the door to open it...instead of the TWO pulls usually required to unlock/open a locked door. (this is how it works on my F15 X5...I can't remember if its the same for my f06)
Maybe it was my Audi, but it was a setting under central locking. When I turn off my car and get out, I want all doors to unlock so I can open the rear door without pressing the dash button or using my fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4speed2 View Post
Maybe it was my Audi, but it was a setting under central locking. When I turn off my car and get out, I want all doors to unlock so I can open the rear door without pressing the dash button or using my fob.
Nope...not gonna happen in a F-chassis BMW. In the scenario you present...you'll have to press the central unlock button/switch if all the doors have been auto-locked (or manually locked) and you exit the driver's door to go to another door to open from the exterior.

Appreciate 0