BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-21-2021, 02:26 AM   #1
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Towing

Hit something in the road last night that immediately flattened my left front tire. Called a tow truck to come take it back to my tire guy to get a replacement.

My car is lowered on KW HAS and I never imagined the difficulty in towing it. When the tow truck driver first started rolling it up and the front went down, he looked it over closely and said "I'm not going to be able to tow this car." There were no other tow trucks in my area and if he couldn't do it, it would sit on the side of the road for a day or two.

I talked him into trying and with my help (honestly don't think he could have done it by himself) we got it up on the truck. Either the front was too low or the back was too low. The physics and geometry involved in raising the truck bed, lowering the truck bed, pulling it up, using the skid ramps, it was quite a task. I followed him in my wife's car to help him unload it. It took every ramp the tow company owned and a couple of 2x6's.

He said he hasn't been that scared of loading a car in years. It took a lot of time, but we got it loaded and unloaded without doing any damage. That was as complex as anything I've participated with in a long time.
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      11-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
Hit something in the road last night that immediately flattened my left front tire. Called a tow truck to come take it back to my tire guy to get a replacement.

My car is lowered on KW HAS and I never imagined the difficulty in towing it. When the tow truck driver first started rolling it up and the front went down, he looked it over closely and said "I'm not going to be able to tow this car." There were no other tow trucks in my area and if he couldn't do it, it would sit on the side of the road for a day or two.

I talked him into trying and with my help (honestly don't think he could have done it by himself) we got it up on the truck. Either the front was too low or the back was too low. The physics and geometry involved in raising the truck bed, lowering the truck bed, pulling it up, using the skid ramps, it was quite a task. I followed him in my wife's car to help him unload it. It took every ramp the tow company owned and a couple of 2x6's.

He said he hasn't been that scared of loading a car in years. It took a lot of time, but we got it loaded and unloaded without doing any damage. That was as complex as anything I've participated with in a long time.
That's one reason I won't lower my car. Hope you tipped that driver well.
      11-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine775 View Post
That's one reason I won't lower my car. Hope you tipped that driver well.
I did, half of what it cost to tow.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I had AAA tow my non lowered M6GC and the tow company ended up causing about 2k dollars in damage. It took about 10 months but AAA finally got the tow company to cover about 80% of the cost.

I have been on the fence about lowering mine and after reading this I think I may pass on that project.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Sheesh, I don't plan on needing roadside, but then again, nobody does lol. IF I have ever have to put my F13 on the back of the tow truck... I'm SOL because I'm on H&R Springs which I think are lower than even the lowest setting on the KW HAS kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Sheesh, I don't plan on needing roadside, but then again, nobody does lol. IF I have ever have to put my F13 on the back of the tow truck... I'm SOL because I'm on H&R Springs which I think are lower than even the lowest setting on the KW HAS kit.
In the meantime, that stance though!!!
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 2
JDMSteven463.00
Kick 6284.00
      11-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Quote:
In the meantime, that stance though!!!
It's JUST right imo
Attached Images

Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's JUST right imo
Oh man, 100%! Finer than frog hair split 3 ways. If anything makes me roll the dice with towing it will be this photo.
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      11-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #9
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's JUST right imo
What is the distance from the ground to the fender at the back tire? I think mine is 26.5 inches.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

Quote:
...which I think are lower than even the lowest setting on the KW HAS kit.
almost
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JDMSteven463.00
jjasonSU194.00