BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

650i rock shield question

I received my 650i yesterday and it had some type of rock shield on the front, hopefully the pic i attached worked. I took it to the dealership last night for a PPI and they said its a factory option and can be removed and a new one put on. So i get the concept, but its really noticeable and i wonder how much of an issue people have with rock chips? Im wondering if should remove it and just deal with rock chips? I also asked the dealership if they thought it was aftermarket because it is so noticeable and they said it looks like every other one they have seen installed by BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Your pictures are so close and sideways that it took me a minute to figure out that that is your hood. I'm not aware of that being a factory option, but it's very, very common. It is what is technically called PPF (Paint Protection Film), and more commonly called a clear bra. Have you not seen that on cars before? Is that all your car has? Usually if you have that you also have it on the front few inches of each fender, and the entire front bumper. That line can be visible, especially if people pack wax against it. You can use your fingernail to try and get some off. It does a good job at preventing chips, but it is easily removeable. You can slowly move along with a hot hair dryer from a corner and pull it up. I have a cheap steamer from Harbor Freight that I use and could have that off with no residue in under 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

As to your question of what kind of issue people have with rock chips, you will get some for sure. Your car is low and has a sloping hood. How many you get depends on what's on the road where you live and how much you tend to drive fast. You won't get as many on city streets at 30 mph. In the dry west you would get more. Probably fewer back east. If you drive very much you end up with itty bitty chips in your windshield that drive you nuts when pointed into a low sun. Those same little stones are hitting your hood paint and paint is much softer than glass. Ans sometimes much bigger ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Thank you Opie55, great info and similar to the dealerships reponses and i really haven't seen this before, or at least i didnt notice it like i do on this car. It does have it in other places, i also saw it on the rear bumper. As long as it doesnt do anything to the paint, i may just leave it for now because i do a lot of highway driving. the wax buildup makes sense too so maybe i can get a detailer to figure that out.
thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

Wish I had that on my car- that's a 1K install in my neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Since you have not seen it before, it can be used to cover just the nose, like your car, or often the entire hood (which avoids that line), but many people with high-end cars wrap the entire surface of the car. Not cheap.
Appreciate 0