BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

transmittion neutral linkage access hatch

hi all.
i recently had my 8speed transmission serviced and noticed near the bottom of the gearbox,just above the sump on the left side (if you were sitting in the car)a protruding m6 bolt with a linkage arm above it...if you need your car putting into neutral and engine wont start ( to put on a transporter e.g.) then you screw this bolt in which operates the neutral linkage..this is the only way to put the car in neutral without the engine running.
i was at the indi garage today and he had just recovered a 6 series f13 that couldnt get the engine running..he had to jack the car up at the side of the road to remove the bash plate/underside cover to get to this neutral bolt.
when i get my oil changed there is a service hatch in the undertray to remove for access to the sump plug...i thought it might be a good idea to put a second access hatch in the undertray for the neutral bolt...save unbolting the whole undertray and risk getting self tapper screws in my tyres.

just a thought.
Appreciate 0