BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Backup Camera

Backup camera has completely stopped opening and closing, always open with the camera functionality being normal. Over the 3.5 years I've owned the car, there have been a few instances where it stayed open for a few days, but it always started working normally again. No coding, etc... I know another forum member had one replaced because corrosion led to it getting stuck... mine moves freely. Seems to be mechanically locked.in the open position. Anyone experience this with their 6? Any troubleshooting advice before I take it in? Is this a part that would have to be coded to the car if I bought a used one? Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
deadspoogi
Private
Rep
Drives: is250 lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Backup camera has completely stopped opening and closing, always open with the camera functionality being normal. Over the 3.5 years I've owned the car, there have been a few instances where it stayed open for a few days, but it always started working normally again. No coding, etc... I know another forum member had one replaced because corrosion led to it getting stuck... mine moves freely. Seems to be mechanically locked.in the open position. Anyone experience this with their 6? Any troubleshooting advice before I take it in? Is this a part that would have to be coded to the car if I bought a used one? Any help would be appreciated!
These are known to fail. In fact , I had my motor swapped out of the backup camera and it still acts up from time to time

Not surprised ... I've always had electrical issues with every Bmw I've owned . Maybe it's just my bad luck. The price I pay for loving their cars so much
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Yup, mine failed on my 2014 M6 GC.
I swapped the whole unit out for a used one from a 2015 M6 GC and it works plug and play. Looking at NewTIS it appears a new unit might need to be coded so try to get one from a similar year. Specifically, it seems like the motor actuator doesn't need to be coded but the backup camera might require coding (according to newtis). So you would probably be ok swapping your old camera onto the new unit, regardless of it being new or used.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0