BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

650 Xi GC vs M6 GC

I am considering trading in my 650 Xi GC for an M6 but I am concerned about winter driving.

If I use a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup, should I have any concerns about driving all through the winter?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Have you never driven a rear wheel drive car in snow? My car before this one was a RWD Mercedes convertible. I drove it year round, but there were occasional days when it was somewhere between silly and impossible and I took my wife's SUV. So yeah, you can drive a RWD car in snow - somehow Chicago managed to survive for decades when RWD was all there was - but it's a whole different experience. You'll slip and slide pulling away from stops unless you crawl, three inches or more start to become an issue pulling away from a curb, if a storm comes while you are at work you will have bigger issues getting home. Can you do it? Yeah. But don't kid yourself that it will be more or less the same. It won't.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
I am considering trading in my 650 Xi GC for an M6 but I am concerned about winter driving.

If I use a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup, should I have any concerns about driving all through the winter?

Thanks
Although I have an M5, I wouldn't be too concerned. I lurk on the M6 forum because I'm about to make the switch from the 5 to the 6. At any rate, you have to first decide if you're going to run the stock wheels or have a dedicated winter wheel set up. You get the best traction in snow when you're not staggered. However my feedback is based on the M5 so you should wait for one of the 6 guys to respond.

The best set ups for the M5 has been going to a 19' stock wheel on all 4 corners using the Pirelli Zottozero. This is a really good wintertyre. Good luck with the search.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Thanks
In most Chicago winter conditions...having dedicated winter tires that are appropriate for the winter conditions you'll be driving in...even on a RWD vehicle...will do fine.

I've been using dedicated winter tires since around 22003 on RWD and AWD BMWs...and even the RWD models (e32/e34/e38/e39)...they performed better than a 4WD work vehicle (mounted with all terrain (aka all season) tires).

Having 4 dedicated winter tires mounted on a RWD vehicle will outperform an AWD/4WD vehicle mounted with all season tires. Where you'll do better is in not only acceleration but with stopping & turning.

If you drive an M6 mounted with 4 dedicated winter tires correctly for the conditions (aka...not using all those ponies weaving in/out of traffic etc during a snow storm or when road conditions are icy/wet/slick)...you'll be fine.

BTW, I'm not that far from you in regards to winter/road conditions...I'm about 3 hours east of you...so my RWD BMWs mounted with dedicated winter tires would be similar to the conditions you'd be driving an M6 in if you do the jump.

If you want verification...there are plenty of videos on YouTube that show/compare the performance of RWD cars vs AWD cars that are mounted with all seasons/summers/dedicated winters. You can see for yourself how much better a RWD car will accelerate, stop, and be able to turn in winter condition when mounted with DW (dedicated winters) vs AWD with regular tires.

Back to my 4WD work vehicle mounted with regular all-terrain/all-season tires...I couldn't wait to get back into my personal RWD vehicle mounted with DWs...because I felt more confident and in control of the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      01-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I've been driving rear wheel drive stick shifts with winter tires in Chicago for years. If you are a good and careful driver, this is very doable. Of course all wheel drive with winter tires will give you even more capability, but you definitely lose a little bit of the driver feedback as expected. And you lose the opportunity to do donuts in an empty parking lot!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I've driven my share of RWD BMWs here in the Northeast - it's definitely doable, but as Opie said, I wouldn't kid yourself into thinking it'll be the same as a FWD or AWD car, especially with winter tires.

It wasn't often, but I had a few unnecessarily dreadful experiences with RWD in the winter... especially when you get into situations like needing to stop on a hill for a light... not fun in any car when you're in deep snow, but pretty horrendous in a RWD car.

Unlike FWD and AWD, where the turning wheels also have power, RWD can only propel the rear wheels - straight forward or backward. So, you're losing an important ability there. It's not just simply about traction (which winter tires will help with), but it's about the ability to apply forces in directions other than "straight ahead."

As others have said, you come to learn how to cope with that in various situations. It can actually be a bit entertaining.

I switched over to AWD with my last BMW (550xi) and ordered my 650 the same way. Why? Because it simply is better for bad weather. Yes, you lose some feel - "thebmw" is right about that - having front driven wheels introduces some element of torque steer. Then again, BMW does a pretty decent job sending the majority of the power to the rear until it's needed.

The lack of availability of xDrive on the M6 was exactly why I went with the 650 instead - that, and I didn't want the harshest suspension. Driving through Cambridge, MA this past week for work, it reminded me of riding on a horse in places. I wanted a more supple suspension option for a DD.

Not surprisingly, BMW had to fix the problem of power delivery for the M cars. The M5 and M6 of these generations are known for losing traction during acceleration - even on dry pavement. The new M5's ability to switch between all-wheel and rear-wheel drive is a fantastic solution.

So, can it be done? Sure. Put some snow tires and smaller wheels on it during the winter, and that should solve quite a few of the issues. Will it ever be as good as xDrive with winter tires? No, and inevitably there will be a few squirly situations that will make you wish you had xDrive back again!

While I like the idea of RWD, I've come to be a big fan of AWD - in dry, wet, AND snow conditions it has something to offer. Done properly, the vast majority of power should go to the rear in dry, safe conditions, but knowing it's on tap for wet, snowy, or even a dangerous maneuver in dry conditions is nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Big difference between a 650 xDrive and a M6.
Even in the summer punching it is less sure footed with more raw power in the M6.
Snow in an xDrive is not a ‘thing’ with the right tires.
You don’t sound like you would want to be in the snow in a M6.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

The biggest issue with the M6 is the greater torque. Even with winter tires, it's going to be a little harder to launch compared to a lower torque RWD car, like the 650.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks so much everyone. Your help is much appreciated

Well, I am not willing to risk it. The 650 is plenty beautiful and fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone. Your help is much appreciated

Well, I am not willing to risk it. The 650 is plenty beautiful and fast enough.
Probably the best choice. Honestly, for most people, the M6 is purely a cosmetic upgrade or just a bucket list thing. I would fall into both categories. Virtually nobody takes an M6 to the limit or to the track. I don't know a single person who owns an M6 and doesn't have a better track car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

You’ll like the 650! Honestly I was shocked at first at how well it handled snow in Denver. That thing is a beast!

Name:  F845BB6A-E9BD-4E0A-9077-1DB9FA129075.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  361.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #12
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

You could get the Alpina instead of the m6
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
You’ll like the 650! Honestly I was shocked at first at how well it handled snow in Denver. That thing is a beast!

Attachment 2216782
I have the 650 Xi GC. It is an absolute incredible machine that eats up snow, sleet and winter with ease.

The M6 was just a passing phase that lasted about an hour or so
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #14
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I have the 650 Xi GC. It is an absolute incredible machine that eats up snow, sleet and winter with ease.

The M6 was just a passing phase that lasted about an hour or so
Oh yeah! Now I see, should have read the OP better. Keep rocking that 650!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #15
derailed
Experienced User
Rep
Drives: bimmaghini

It's funny you say this, cause I did the EXACT opposite. Went for the M6 in the beginning of January, had I got it this year I probably wouldn't have traded in, however last year we had slick roads. I was fed up and liked the drive of the 650i better anyways so I traded in with no regrets. I live 150 miles SE of Chicago so I know you probably have even worse winters being near the lake.

Last edited by derailed; 01-23-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0