BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
golf4dj
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 and 2015 F15

Another Audio Thread - Upgrade or Replace HK Components

Hi all - in a bit of a dilemma, replace single blown speaker or upgrade to BAVSound Stage 1 across the board (alternatively could go with BimmerTech Alpha Ones).

Recently purchased a 2013 640i coupe with roughly 50K miles on the clock. It has Option S677A which is the Harmon Kardon HiFi Professional System with AMP, equalizer and surround settings but no logos on the speaker grills consistent with my model year.

My front driver passenger door speaker is damaged to the point that I get very muffled sound with no clarity coming from that speaker when it is isolated in the system. I am no expert but it seems obvious that the 4" speaker in the door is toast. While the rest of the system seems to be OK it is still a bit underwhelming from the standpoint that it seems hollow with lack of definition. This is compared to my wife's 2015 X5 and my former 3 series.

As stated above, my dilemma is do I just replace the door speaker at roughly $120 ($60 if used) or splurge for the BAVSOUND Stage 1 upgrade at roughly $900 (BimmerTech Alpha One's would be similar). If the BAVSOUND is a significant improvement then I would likely go that direction but if it is not then I would simply replace the single speaker (and tweeter if needed).

Not overly interested in upgrading the AMP and subwoofers at this time as that would put me at roughly $2500. I just don't see the value in a $2500 sound system upgrade on my car considering what it is worth today.

Thoughts from those that have been in my situation, considered an upgrade or actually upgraded.

Thanks in advance,
DJ
From the Atlanta area
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I would just replace the single blown speaker.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
golf4dj
Rep

Quick update - I have sourced a used and complete set of the BAVSOUND Stage 1 speakers and the Ghost Subwoofers. The set was installed in a 3 series with the same Harmon Kardon Top HiFi system as mine.

It has the same number of speakers/tweeters and based on my research it would appear that the BAVSOUND replacements are identical for my 640i Coupe with the exception of the rear side panel Tweeters which on my car has an oval mounting plate where the 3 series is simply a round tweeter which is the same as the front doors. I am hoping that I can fabricate some sort of mounting plate for those side tweeters and install them without issue.

I will update in a couple weeks after I have installed them.

BTW - I paid $625 for the set which is significantly less than new.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4dj View Post
Quick update - I have sourced a used and complete set of the BAVSOUND Stage 1 speakers and the Ghost Subwoofers. The set was installed in a 3 series with the same Harmon Kardon Top HiFi system as mine.

It has the same number of speakers/tweeters and based on my research it would appear that the BAVSOUND replacements are identical for my 640i Coupe with the exception of the rear side panel Tweeters which on my car has an oval mounting plate where the 3 series is simply a round tweeter which is the same as the front doors. I am hoping that I can fabricate some sort of mounting plate for those side tweeters and install them without issue.

I will update in a couple weeks after I have installed them.

BTW - I paid $625 for the set which is significantly less than new.
Great deal! Hope the install goes well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
golf4dj
Rep

Well - last weekend I did the install. As stated in my post above, I picked up a used set of both the Stage1 BAVSOUND speakers and a set of BAVSOUND subwoofers off of ebay for $625 shipped. I have the S677A Harmon Kardon (no name plate) HiFi System (7 speakers/tweeters) in my 2013 640i coupe.

The person that I purchased from had the BAVSOUND system installed in his F30 3 series 4 door with the HK 7 speaker system. After doing some research I determined that all the 4 inch woofers would be a direct fit. 5 of the 7 tweeters would be a direct fit but I would have to make an oval mounting flange for two of the tweeters. This is due to the fact that in the coupe and convertible the rear side panel tweeters have an oval mount as opposed to the doors where the tweeters simply pop into a round snap in mount within the door.

Fortunately, my research was correct. All 4 inch woofers were a direct match/fit as were the tweeters except for the 2 mounting flanges that I had to make. The speaker connections were the same as well so it was plug and play.

Making the mounting flange was pretty simple. I simply purchased a 12 inch x 12 inch sheet of ABS that was 1/4 inch thick. From that I traced the original BMW mounting flange onto the ABS plastic making rough cuts with a saw. Then I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to properly shape the flange so that it was identical to the original BMW mounting flange otherwise it would not fit. The center hole for the tweeter was cut using a round hole saw with my drill that was slightly smaller than the tweeter (didn't have a hole saw that was the exact size) and then used the dremel with the sanding wheel to make the final opening with a snug fit. Place a little adhesive between the flange and tweeter and it was good to go. Took only about a half hour to make once I figured out how I was actually going to do it.

All in all the install took about 6 hours for me, twice as long as the BAVSOUND videos suggested. It was not hard by any stretch but some of the panels required a bit of force to remove and I kept checking myself as I did not want to break anything.

As far as sound goes - I am really shocked at how much more definition the BAVSOUND speakers provide. The detail and clarity is much improved. The punch from the woofers is improved as well. They would not match a separate subwoofer in the truck like some have done but it is clearly an improvement. Well worth my investment.
Appreciate 1