BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-05-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Android 10.25" head unit...photos and review coming

So I decided the NBT and EVO retrofits were both too compromised for me to consider but still wanted a more up to date system. Enter the Android screen replacement. I have been following Avin's progress in releasing theirs for months, but was put off by their final price. So I tracked down the OEM (I believe) who's head-units I have also used in other cars before. I paid just over US$500 for the unit, shipped and landed. Installed this evening and while the install was simple enough their very simplified installation instructions neglect to mention that the iDrive controller needs to be looped in too. Either way, will post my install photos tomorrow and do video review of the unit in the coming days. For now here's a photo of the finished look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Looking forward to your assessment and install guide. Can you link to the unit you bought?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Install and update after a week of use

Ok, as promised. Here are some photos of the install, and also my impressions after a week of using the headunit and reasoning for why I'm uninstalling it.

First you need to remove the top two screws on the original screen. Can be a bit tricky given the rake of the windscreen, but it's not all that difficult.

Next you remove the centre air vents and wood trim. This unit just clips onto the dash so it's easy as. Then undo the two screws holding the screen in place.

Disconnect eh 4-pin screen cable and flat power and diagnostic cable. The latter wont be used with the new screen.

Remove the two screws holding the back section of the original screen to the dash. These two screws are re-used with the new screen.

Remove the climate panel and the CIC computer. Disconnect the quadlock and remove the MOST plug from the factory connector. Insert it into the connector that came with the new screen, plug that end into the CIC and the car into the other end (it's a harness).

Now for the fun part. You have to basically disassemble the centre console in order to get to the iDrive controller's connector. It's not all that difficult, and the instructions can be found on the newtis.info.

Once you have access to the iDrive's connector simply plug the car end into the new harness and the new harness into the iDrive. You can also use the opportunity to route all the cables for the USB and AUX to the centre arm-rest underneath the centre console plastic. This makes for a really clean install. Fit everything back together, and marvel at your new iDrive smart screen.

Now, let's talk about the actual unit. The fit and finish is really good, and as a visual upgrade it's excellent. The original interface looks great on the crisp, saturated screen. Switching between CIC and Android is easy and quick. The android interface pretends to be ID6, which is fine, and works really fast. This unit has the same challenges as all other similar units (media player only working with onboard media, etc.) so there is no point in me going on about that. Google play works, Google Maps work, Apple Car Play works and looks great in full screen, Android Auto work and looks not so great in full screen, Spotify works. I'm a classically trained Pianist and Cellist so I like to think that I have a good ear for sound quality, and in that department this unit sounds no different that the original iDrive (Aux vs MOST). There's not static, no hissing, no popping...it really is an excellent retrofit.

Functionality wise I cannot fault the unit, but I am going to uninstall mine tonight. Why? The glare. This wont affect the F06 GranCoupe or F13 Coupe 6-ers, but on the F12 Vert the screen is glossy to the point of being useless when the roof is down. We did a long drive along the coast today with the roof down and it was near impossible to see anything on the screen. Again, this is not something that will affect those with fixed roofs, but on the convertible it makes the system a liability since you cannot see anything at a glance, and have to really look at the screen if you want to see anything, let alone try to navigate the interface.

This is BY FAR one of the best aftermarket head units I have ever installed in any car, I just wish that the manufacturer could apply the same Anti Glare coating that BMW uses from the factory. Once the unit is out of my 6-er I will list it on eBay for anyone interested. My cost was $570 for the unit and another $80 for the Car Play/Android Auto dongle. I'll be listing it for US$500+shipping. Save yourself US$150 over what I paid (or US$358 over the same unit from AVIN USA). I'll post the eBay link later.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 03-09-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Why not buy some anti-glare screen protector material and try to cover the screen first?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Than you so much for sharing!! What brand did you order and where?

AVIN sells the anti glare screen protector. I imagine the cut would be the similar if not identical.

https://avinusa.com/10-25-anti-glare...2-f03-f04.html

Also, how do the cameras work? Do you have surround cameras, and if so, can you switch between the rear camera and the surround cameras with the switch on the center console while in Android mode?

Last edited by dclin; 03-10-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't blame you. Glare with the top down is why I bought a new screen even thought it only had a few scratches that are invisible with the top up. Don't waste your money on the various screen protectors that claim to be anti-glare. They are not. They look awful in a convertible.

I have wondered how the 2016 and later screens look with the top down. They appear way more glossy than the '15 and older screens.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclin View Post
Also, how do the cameras work? Do you have surround cameras, and if so, can you switch between the rear camera and the surround cameras with the switch on the center console while in Android mode?
When you press the camera or PDC buttons on the console the system switches back to CIC instantly to show those inputs. Likewise, any shortcut saves on the radio panel (i have 3 saved to EcoPro stats, 4 to Oil level, etc) activate those screens instantly too.

This is the unit I purchased: https://www.witson.com/displayproduc...62968707646912
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dibs. PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
When you press the camera or PDC buttons on the console the system switches back to CIC instantly to show those inputs. Likewise, any shortcut saves on the radio panel (i have 3 saved to EcoPro stats, 4 to Oil level, etc) activate those screens instantly too.

This is the unit I purchased: https://www.witson.com/displayproduc...62968707646912
Thank you! After you switch to CIC with those button presses, do you have to use the touch screen to reenable android mode, or does it switch back with a second button press (Im guessing not)?

If you are listening to Google Play, for example, does that shut down with the press of the consoel buttons? Or does it continue in the 'background'?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclin View Post
Thank you! After you switch to CIC with those button presses, do you have to use the touch screen to reenable android mode, or does it switch back with a second button press (Im guessing not)?

If you are listening to Google Play, for example, does that shut down with the press of the consoel buttons? Or does it continue in the 'background'?
Sound continues in the background, since as far as iDrive is concerned its receiving audio from an Aux source.

And yep, apart from the reverse sensor and camera all other times you need to touch the screen to get back to Android (or hold the menu button, or press the Navi button on the controller).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sound continues in the background, since as far as iDrive is concerned its receiving audio from an Aux source.

And yep, apart from the reverse sensor and camera all other times you need to touch the screen to get back to Android (or hold the menu button, or press the Navi button on the controller).
Awesome, thanks! Pressing the nav or menu button to return is better than what I was hoping
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #12
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, so to verify I have the CIC for sure, here are a couple shots of my present head unit. LMK via PM so we can move forward.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
carbonblkf12
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i x drive vert

contact photo don and get a matte anti glare screen - why get rid of the unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #14
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonblkf12 View Post
Too late. I bought the unit last week.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:10 AM   #15
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonblkf12 View Post
Aftermarket anti glare won't cut it with the roof down. Going for a full NBT retrofit instead with the LCI glass display.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
bemami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Gran Coupe, 2014 CAyenne

Can you upgrade the idrive controller as well if you install this unit?
05 M3 coupe alpine white/ cinnamon - 18k miles!
2011 550xi alpine white on ivory (sold)
2013 640i black sapphire metallic on cinnamon
2014 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #17
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Be careful with selecting this kit. I've had nothing but headaches with it causing an adaptive headlamp error every time I switch from CIC to the Android side.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #18
Pano6
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
So I decided the NBT and EVO retrofits were both too compromised for me to consider but still wanted a more up to date system. Enter the Android screen replacement. I have been following Avin's progress in releasing theirs for months, but was put off by their final price. So I tracked down the OEM (I believe) who's head-units I have also used in other cars before. I paid just over US$500 for the unit, shipped and landed. Installed this evening and while the install was simple enough their very simplified installation instructions neglect to mention that the iDrive controller needs to be looped in too. Either way, will post my install photos tomorrow and do video review of the unit in the coming days. For now here's a photo of the finished look.
Initially I was opposed to the idea of putting one of the Android screens in, however having seen this I'm quite intrigued.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand this is a new screen that connects to the existing head unit, and provides the option to switch between either the CIC/NBT interface, the Android NBT EVO-like interface, and Apple CarPlay?

For $500 I'm thinking it's probably worth taking a risk on. I'll hold onto the spare parts from the old unit and if I have any problems just pop it back in. I am aware that a lot is linked up with the headunits and the guy above has mentioned some issues.

Another thing too, if I use Apple Carplay with this, will it use the standard microphone or do I need to wire a new one like you do with the other Carplay adapters?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #19
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Subscribing for future reference.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #20
Pano6
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Be careful with selecting this kit. I've had nothing but headaches with it causing an adaptive headlamp error every time I switch from CIC to the Android side.
Did you find a solution to this?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #21
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano6 View Post
Did you find a solution to this?
No, not yet. It makes the unit pretty much useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #22
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

I Wonder if you have nbt you will have this issue
Appreciate 0