BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Gold M8

I know. This is the 6 forum, but I thought this was so cool! BH BMW had it signed by a bunch of celebrities at the Golden Globes and they’re going to auction it off for charity.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      01-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

That may be the most hideous and pretentious thing I have ever seen.

That's what I expect from MB, not BMW.

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 01-29-2020 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Interesting....

How many people would want a gold car? Hardly any I'd guess.

How many people would want "celebrity" scribbles all over any car? Hardly any I'd guess.

Combination of the 2? practically zero

That said, I suspect it'll prove to be another shining example of how money can't buy taste.
      01-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

I'm sure (or at least hope) nobody is buying this thing to actually drive it. But I also can't imagine a serious collector would buy this either. Designer or founder's signature somewhere discrete? Sure. A bunch of random celebs on the hood of the car? Yikes. This destroys a lot of the market, very curious to see who ends up overpaying for this.

It's for charity, so whoever wants to overpay, be my guest I suppose, but personally the only way I'd buy is if it goes for well below market value so I can just wrap it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I hope the charity/charities make out well. I doubt the car will be purchased to be driven as a DD or even WD (weekend driver). This will be a collectors 1-off purchase...to have something no one else has. The buyer will probably make a return on the investment if they hold onto it for a while...and it will surely end up in some collectors garage or museum.

But yeah, the color and the scribbling is not something the average person would want to hop in and run down to the Piggly Wiggly to pick up a gallon of milk. I wonder what the official exterior color code is, though.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer12 View Post
I'm sure (or at least hope) nobody is buying this thing to actually drive it. But I also can't imagine a serious collector would buy this either. Designer or founder's signature somewhere discrete? Sure. A bunch of random celebs on the hood of the car? Yikes. This destroys a lot of the market, very curious to see who ends up overpaying for this.

It's for charity, so whoever wants to overpay, be my guest I suppose, but personally the only way I'd buy is if it goes for well below market value so I can just wrap it.
The gold is a wrap. So I guess they buyer could simply unwrap it.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Interesting....

How many people would want a gold car? Hardly any I'd guess.

How many people would want "celebrity" scribbles all over any car? Hardly any I'd guess.

Combination of the 2? practically zero

That said, I suspect it'll prove to be another shining example of how money can't buy taste.
Haha! Beauty is in the eye, as it were. I live in LA and gold or chrome wrapped cars are not that unusual around here. I saw an i8 wrapped in gold the other day in Beverly Hills and it fit right in on Rodeo Drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
The gold is a wrap. So I guess they buyer could simply unwrap it.
Ah...then the buyer may very well remove the wrap and save it like some people save snake skin. And depending on the celebs that signed it...that may be worth something when they pass on...especially if they achieve some great accolades or public trust in the future. For instance, if Kobe had signed it (not that he would have since I don't think he was involved in anything that would have received a Golden Globe award)...having his signature would probably increase the value.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-29-2020 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ah...then the buyer may very well remove the wrap and save it like some people save snake skin. And depending on the celebs that signed it...that may be worth something when the pass on...especially if they achieve some great accolades or public trust in the future. For instance, if Kobe had signed it (not that he would have since I don't think he was involved in anything that would have received a Golden Globe award)...having his signature would probably increase the value.
Agreed. RIP Kobe.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
For instance, if Kobe had signed it (not that he would have since I don't think he was involved in anything that would have received a Golden Globe award)...having his signature would probably increase the value.
Probably not, but you never know, he did win an Oscar although I think that was the year before.
Appreciate 0