BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #1
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Scam site - Joy-Drive

Fellow 6posters - I posted this on another forum I frequent so thought to drop it here. I was too late on the other forum and a guy got scammed:

Quick warning post about "Joy Drive". Be extremely careful with Joy Drive. There are a ton of scams going through this website - basically scammers have spoofed the real "www.joydrive.com" with "www.joy-drive.com" - notice the difference!?

joy - dash - drive is a fake website. You will find on joy dash drive you have to enter a stock number to find a vehicle. Typically a vehicle will be listed at a decent price on one of the big classified sites. Contacting the seller, they will say "the car is on consignment with joydrive, here is the link and stock number". You enter the stock number, are shown a fake car with fake photos, carfax and "inspection" etc. Like other online-only car dealers, you can get delivery and financing arranged online, so you happily start entering your personal info to get qualified...and you get the rest.

Even in the post above, Joy dash drive is linked. Have a browse around the two sites and you'll see how the "dash" site is a fake.

I've reached out to JoyDrive (the real one) and they're aware of the spoof site and have been trying to get it blocked.

The scammers are getting smarter, please be careful out there guys. 1st rule of thumb, if it looks too good to be true or smells fishy, walk away.

Also followed up with:

Firstly, hopefully nothing will come of this and you've taken the right steps in protecting your identity. It can happen to anyone. I'm assuming you've locked your credit - so any damage can be mitigated. It may even be that the real joy drive has taken control of the domain, as it even shows as "secure" but anything can be faked online now.

I've attached the response from JoyDrive for reference

The only reason I figured this out was because a scammer listed a car too cheap. Like 50% under list. I knew it was scam going in, so I did some digging around and that's what I found. I did the same checks as you, googling got me nowhere. I even called the number on their site and it was dead. I then searched around the site and was confused why I couldn't find any cars without a "stock number". Googled Joy Drive again and went directly trough the google link, and suddenly, all the cars for sale appeared. If you click on "Buy Cars" at the top of both sites, you'll see what I mean.

I've also attached the email sent to me from the scammer after reaching out to them via autotrader.com (I also flagged the listing with them).

These f**kers typically list enthusiast/desirable cars so relevant here. I didn't get scammed because the price was WAY too obvious, so I went looking for the catch, but the guy above who did found a car priced just cheap enough where it was easy to jump on a "deal".
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M6Roar85.50
AECDY299.00
DrFerry6722.50
      09-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
khpbiz@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Thank you!!!

I just wanted to give a shout out to the OP on this. OMG, they -- joy-drive -- almost got me to the tune of $17,000. I got the fake e-mail from Peter Anker, went to the fake website and started the buying process. I saw a car fax and everything. In the end, all they got out of me was my driver's license scan, which I don't think will be of much use. They offered be a decent amount for my trade even, lol!

Too many little things didn't add up, (website going down, phone call that was answered oddly and unprofessionally then I was hung up on, no way to look for other cars, no finance option, no additional fees, no additional photos of the car available from Peter Anker -- he had just broke his old phone he said, and then the website didn't quite match up with the real joydrive website). That made me search for joy-drive scam and this post showed up.

They had wanted me to wire the money. The address is a place in Seattle and the company was HQ'd in Raleigh and Seattle according to an online profile, but the name (mahogany ventures LLC seemed suspect for a pretty large used car dealer)

And I was ready to do it. It my mind I was going to buy the car.

I have reached out to the real joydrive as well.

So, a million times thank you!!! Your post made a huge difference.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      09-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Ahh I'm so glad this helped someone! This is definitely one of the more sophisticated scams - not to give ideas but if they priced the cars more realistically they would catch so many more people out right now while everyone is sitting at home buying stuff online.

If you have the time, I would file a report with the FTC and/or FBI.

I can't believe the site is still up and I'm sure is getting hundreds of hits a day. Doing a google search, I saw this post appeared on the results page - hopefully it isn't just for me and it shows for other people doing a quick search for "joy drive" and "scam".
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
khpbiz@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

It is tough because your post was the only one that alerted me to the fraud. Maybe having more posts with joy-drive and fraud will help. It was you and this thread that made the difference.

The hyphen is the key, but you have to know that the hyphen makes all the difference. I thought the site was just the consignment area of the company or something.

You have the same e-mail that I got in there was another kicker.

I have filed my reports and experience with both joydrive and cars.com. They said they will work with the authorities. I wasn't an actual victim, just a mark heading for victimhood, so that seems to lower the interest of the authorities.

I also put a fraud alter on all my accounts. That will last for a year. All they got out of me was a scan of my driver's license though. Not great, but I think those are all available on-line anyway as a public document.

Thank you again. A million times thank you.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      10-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
ranman73
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335, 435

Did anyone happen to see where the wire transfer info came from? Was it a Wells Fargo bank?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Funny thing is I'd sent a message on cars.com regarding a car that was priced noticeably lower than similar listings, and got a very similar email with a Vehicle ID and a link to Joydrive — however the link was www.joydrive-motors.com, so I can only assume they adopted another URL since www.joy-drive.com is on the radar now.

Luckily I figured it was a scam before giving any info.
Appreciate 0