08-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #2465
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
I'm 38 so I have a bit slower metabolism than you likely so take that into account. I've been going about 4 years 5 days a week. When I started I was 236 at my peak (5'10") and incorporated cardio and lifting and built strength and muscle but couldn't cut the fat. Intermittent fasting worked for me...but only in intervals of 2-3 weeks at a time. I'd quit eating by 7pm, and wouldn't eat lunch until 11am, skipping breakfast (and protein). I'm hovering around 208 right now...as I recall it took roughly 3 months to cut that weight once I started IF.

It's slow going but I never lost strength this way...and it was fairly effortless as mornings are pretty easy to stay busy and keep your mind off food. After 2-3 weeks though your weight loss tapers off and should go back to normal routine. You'll gain a few lbs back but then stabilize...or at least I did.

As for deadlifts...like you I never could get my form down. I would make micro corrections as I constantly was trying to get it to feel natural. In the end those micro corrections caused a muscle spasm which tweaked my lower back, pulled my left hip up and took me out of the game for 3 months, with pain that I still have 2 years later.

My advice would be if you're struggling with your form, keep the weight VERY light where you're not struggling. Focus more on the form where it feels natural at that weight..then start increasing...SLOWLY.

I was doing 405 when I threw my back. Now I'm at 225 and absolutely refuse to go heavier.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #2466
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Any reasoning behind lowering protein? Increasing carbs is good, but make sure your fat macros go up as well. Just don't get cold feet through your bulk. A lot of times people will start to grow, and sometimes in areas they don't want, then immediately go back into dropping calories. Gotta attack it at full speed.
I'm lowering protein back down to 1 - 1.25 grams/lb of body weight. During my cut, I lowered carbs and upped protein. On my bulk, I plan to lower the protein back down to where it should be and bring my carbs back up to where they need to be to maximize growth. Now that I'm getting close to the end of the cut and most likely plateauing, I can really feel my lack of carbs. Had a difficult time powering through my workout last night. When I started this, i had no idea what macros were or how much they can affect how a person feels day to day. I tend to operate very well in a cut until the last couple of weeks. Once my BF% gets low, all I want to do is sleep.....that's pretty much where I'm at now. I'm going to struggle and push through the next couple of weeks to hopefully, get rid of these last few pounds around the belly button and lower back. I should have a flat stomach for the first time in my adult life within the next few weeks. As of this morning I have lost 86 pounds since I started. I'm really low as far as weight goes right now, but on my frame (with what muscle I've managed to build in the past 1.5 years) I look f'n shredded at the moment.....aside from about maybe 2-3 pounds of fluffy jiggle around my belly button. The 6 pack, chest and shoulders.....let's just say, I'm starting to get dirty looks from younger guys in the locker room when I take my shirt off.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      08-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #2467
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
I'd video record yourself to see how your form is while doing a lighter weight. Many of the guys at the gym do this for explicit reasons to check their form and not for vanity purposes.

I can't remember what I was doing when I did do dead lifts when I was younger. I don't do them now as I have lower back issues. Oh and I'm 6'5".
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #2468
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Well I'm glad you mentioned this as my Bilirubin was high before starting (2.1, ref range 0-1.2)...granted it's always been high for me but sounds like a risk I may not want to take without closer monitoring.
The two counts you want to focus on are AST and ALT.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #2469
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The two counts you want to focus on are AST and ALT.
Roger that. 30 and 40 as of June, both in ref ranges. Will pay attention to next visit. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #2470
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Can't comment too much on the deadlifts for taller people as I'm only 5' 10". 1MOREMOD may be able to comment, I believe he is taller and deadlifts frequently.

Good that you're getting into the gym though, set yourself a goal and keep after it!
I do dead some and not sure I can comment much. Im 6 foot and had the feeling at times I'm trying to get knees out of the bar path which forces you to straighten legs early and be out of position. Focus on dragging up shins pretty much and watch some video of technique. Allan thrall comes to mind but others may chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #2471
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

BACK DAY!!!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #2472
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
BACK DAY!!!
Looking good man! Keep after it!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #2473
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
If you're not training to be a competitive powerlifter, there's nothing wrong with starting out with sumo deadlifts. I'm 6'4 and found sumo was a good way to learn the lift. You will still learn proper back form and get the CNS adaptations. Once you have the upper form down it's not hard to transition back to traditional deadlifts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #2474
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Swam last night. Broke down and ordered a center-snorkel. Seemed like it could work, IF I get teh nose plugs now. I made it about 1.5 laps before I just couldn't stop snorting water. Old habits die hard. . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #2475
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I feel like sh!t. Haven't been in the gym all week, nor done any cardio (run 4mi after every workout but leg day), doing stuff on the new house every day after work, and doing more today. Ugh maybe I'll make it in tomorrow and just go full-body...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #2476
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
I feel like sh!t. Haven't been in the gym all week, nor done any cardio (run 4mi after every workout but leg day), doing stuff on the new house every day after work, and doing more today. Ugh maybe I'll make it in tomorrow and just go full-body...
Try to get a homeworkout in. Obviously doesn't beat the gym, but you can at least stretch out and do some HIIT training if you'd like. Prolly hot as hell there like it is here, so maybe catch a run later in the evening. Your body is probably enjoying the time off!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #2477
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try to get a homeworkout in. Obviously doesn't beat the gym, but you can at least stretch out and do some HIIT training if you'd like. Prolly hot as hell there like it is here, so maybe catch a run later in the evening. Your body is probably enjoying the time off!
Sadly haven't had time. Working till it's dark and then gotta get dinner made. Wife is studying for an exam certification she's taking next Tues (been studying last 2 months), so I'm trying to help her where I can.
I'm just using this as an excuse for a rest week, so I can hit super hard next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #2478
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Sadly haven't had time. Working till it's dark and then gotta get dinner made. Wife is studying for an exam certification she's taking next Tues (been studying last 2 months), so I'm trying to help her where I can.
I'm just using this as an excuse for a rest week, so I can hit super hard next week.
I hear ya man, gotta take care of the important things first!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #2479
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well she promised to do a run to the beach with me this afternoon once I finish up, so I've got that going for me. (we're about 1.2 mi away, tough life I know, but we've got a door route that's around 4.5 mi)
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      08-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #2480
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

nice chest session this early morning. got back tomorrow. can't wait!!!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #2481
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Getting off the creatine lol, only been a week, but I'm holding so much water it is ridiculous. Got about 3 weeks til vacation, might just start leaning out idk lol.

Hit shoulders saturday, chest sunday, and arms this morning. Each day with a solid bit of cardio. Future mother-in-law was in down the last few days, so diet was off, with that said I didn't drink a lot this weekend so that helped. We will see how this week goes!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #2482
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Outdoor work all this past weekend. Cutting tree limbs off the cabin @ 7000' KILLS, especially shoulders when using the 20' extension with a saw while standing on 8' ladder, on a slope.

Then there is the walking up/down said slope, dragging the brush to a cutting spot. Drove 180 miles Saturday, got to the cabin about 5:45, and STILL got in over 14,000 steps.

For reference, I work at 11' . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #2483
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting off the creatine lol, only been a week, but I'm holding so much water it is ridiculous. Got about 3 weeks til vacation, might just start leaning out idk lol.

Hit shoulders saturday, chest sunday, and arms this morning. Each day with a solid bit of cardio. Future mother-in-law was in down the last few days, so diet was off, with that said I didn't drink a lot this weekend so that helped. We will see how this week goes!
i'm wondering if i should start getting off my creatine as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #2484
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'm wondering if i should start getting off my creatine as well?
That is a personal call. If I didn't have vacation coming up I would probably stay on, with that said I shot up like 8lbs in a week lmao. Arms were starting to puff up, and I'd rather them be tone. Was still vascular, but I could tell I was holding so much water. I stopped taking it Saturday, and I already feel better.

It is funny how your goals change, a few years ago I just wanted to be a massive freak. Now, and this partially has to do with work/business goals, I'd rather stay more lean. I still hold a solid bit of muscle, so I don't have the drive I use to in order to get massive lol
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #2485
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Man it was nice to get back yesterday. Monday is International Chest Day afterall, but I made the most of it.

I take a small scoop of creatine with each protein shake, just to help enhance the little that the body creates. I don't take enough to really cause myself to retain water (and I avg. 2+ gallons water/day out of habit). I haven't loaded up on that since HS and even then, I don't think that it helped much then
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #2486
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Doing house projects today sooooo my body is gonna have to skip out today lol ��
Appreciate 0