BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Catless DP and Spark Plug install

Hey everyone, Im getting ready to install catless downpipes, gapped sparkplugs, and a BM3 tune in the near future (time permitting).

Right now Im trying to get all the random stuff I need to do the job and have a few questions.

1. Gaskets? Im assuming there is a gasket on either end of the DP or on both ends. I don't like reusing wearable items so I want to replace them when Im in there. Anyone have the part number for these?

2. Coil Pack - Was told to go ahead and replace my coil pack while Im doing the plugs because there was a issue with early versions (not sure of history but have see guys swapping these out). What coil pack should I order, and where should I order them from. Is there a part number for specific set?

3. Specialty tools - What specialty tools will I need for the jobs ? Any weird bolt styles, size, sockets ect?

I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in order before I start ripping this thing apart.

Thanks everyone !!
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
Hey everyone, Im getting ready to install catless downpipes, gapped sparkplugs, and a BM3 tune in the near future (time permitting).

Right now Im trying to get all the random stuff I need to do the job and have a few questions.

1. Gaskets? Im assuming there is a gasket on either end of the DP or on both ends. I don't like reusing wearable items so I want to replace them when Im in there. Anyone have the part number for these?

2. Coil Pack - Was told to go ahead and replace my coil pack while Im doing the plugs because there was a issue with early versions (not sure of history but have see guys swapping these out). What coil pack should I order, and where should I order them from. Is there a part number for specific set?

3. Specialty tools - What specialty tools will I need for the jobs ? Any weird bolt styles, size, sockets ect?

I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in order before I start ripping this thing apart.

Thanks everyone !!
Gaskets: you'll need #3 for sure but you can also get #2

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_0953

Not sure about having to replace the coil packs just to do it. Wouldn't hurt I guess but I don't know if its absolutely necessary.
      06-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

I replaced the gaskets, replaced all the nuts on the bottom, where the downpipe connects to the rest of the exhaust, and the the two turbo bands. Also did the spark plugs but no coils since I'm not having any issues with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
I replaced the gaskets, replaced all the nuts on the bottom, where the downpipe connects to the rest of the exhaust, and the the two turbo bands. Also did the spark plugs but no coils since I'm not having any issues with them.
How do you know of the coils are going bad?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

I actually did both of these and did a pretty detailed write up with pictures. Make sure to disconnect battery first... For DPs, you can use a write up from the M5 forums

https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=31
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberbic View Post
I actually did both of these and did a pretty detailed write up with pictures. Make sure to disconnect battery first... For DPs, you can use a write up from the M5 forums

https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=31
Thanks man. What was the reason you replaced your coils? Do you think this is something I should do while in there doing the plugs ?
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
Thanks man. What was the reason you replaced your coils? Do you think this is something I should do while in there doing the plugs ?
I kept getting drivetrain malfunction and Kauvsti recomended plugs and coils... the full set was only like $400 from ECS so I figured might as well since I was gonna do plugs anyway and it was more preventative since I ended up tuning up to stage 2... Gap plugs down to .018-.02 if you plan on tuning it in the near future
Appreciate 0