BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

DCT design torque only 516lb ft?

Reading the tech docs (thanks to those that posted!!) and seeing that the design torque rating on the CDT is only 516... If the engine stick puts out 500, that isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. I've heard stock clutch packs start to slip around 650 lb ft? But not much else listed about reliability problems from DCT on tuned cars?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Reading the tech docs (thanks to those that posted!!) and seeing that the design torque rating on the CDT is only 516... If the engine stick puts out 500, that isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. I've heard stock clutch packs start to slip around 650 lb ft? But not much else listed about reliability problems from DCT on tuned cars?

Thanks.
That number shown as design torque is suspect. If you notice the engine specs show the original rated torque of 500ft-lbs as "nominal" torque and the 2016 CP model rated torque of 517ft-lbs as design torque. Additionally, there are numerous dyno tests from individuals as well as reputable companies like DINAN that show that the measured torque is more like 550-570 ft-lbs which would lead me to believe that the actual "minimum" corrected M6 engine numbers are more like those higher values. That is how engineering rated performance is typically derived.

So I would estimate the ratings of this engine to be 600bhp and 560ft-lbs of torque under normal conditions.

It is also interesting that DINAN quotes their claimed actual performance to be close to 680bhp when their stock reference is 620bhp.

It is a wonderful car, enjoy your rides in good health.

PS. I am not sure why BMW discontinued the M6 DCT since it is one of the best in the market as well as a technological marvel. And I have driven quite a few.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

BMW discontinued it as it was not profitable for them compared to the 8spd auto. the auto is drop in ready for every car. its just streamlining for them. the manual will follow soon as well. there has been no improvements to the 6 spd manual since the early 2000s. I will agree the M DCT is an engineering marvel. great crisp shifts. often overlooked! I love my M6 with the DCT. every WOT shift is just so clean and hard, it really puts a smile on my face that is ear to ear.
      08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
BMW discontinued it as it was not profitable for them compared to the 8spd auto. the auto is drop in ready for every car. its just streamlining for them. the manual will follow soon as well. there has been no improvements to the 6 spd manual since the early 2000s. I will agree the M DCT is an engineering marvel. great crisp shifts. often overlooked! I love my M6 with the DCT. every WOT shift is just so clean and hard, it really puts a smile on my face that is ear to ear.
Second that! The ZF8 is so bad in comparison, it's like setting the transmission 2 generations behind with everything else advancing, it's truly sad.
Appreciate 0