BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Comp pkg

F13 M6, Comp pkg, downpipes. Muffler delete?

I've been doing some research, just can't find any solid information.

2016 M6 Coupe with Comp package.

Installed downpipes, muffler valves forced open, would still like a little more "grunt". I have no interest in spending $2000-5000 on an exhaust system. At all. So suggesting "X brand" system is a waste of bandwidth.

Background: Fabricator by trade, so I can make my own muffler delete with some polished 304SS and purchased tips. I would not buy some of the muffler delete offerings from vendors. I can make one in my garage for next to nothing.

Does anyone have a muffler delete on a comp car with downpipes? Vids?

PS: I will more than likely be fabricating my own intake system as well. Something along the lines of MSR, routed behind the kidney grills.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
FullThrottle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, F10 M5

I assume catless down pipes. I would suggest gutting your mufflers instead of deleting them, as sound can still bounce of the metal and give you a deeper grunt then a straight pipe. I had gutted mufflers and catless dp with eventuri intake but it wasn't even close to an exhaust system like the akra I have now. Now if you fabricate a titanium exhaust for yourself from down pipes back, soo titanium center pipes then just do a full titanium straight pipe and you will get what your looking for
      08-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #3
garethm
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Not me, but my buddy has catless downpipes plus muffler delete. The sound is ridiculously loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Comp pack, still have stock cats; just did Soul perf muffers for 1400. Sounds PERFECT.. Can't believe what it would sound like with no cats lol.
And no offense, what you would do in the garage for a muffler delete vs what a company like Soul does is night and day..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Comp pack, still have stock cats; just did Soul perf muffers for 1400. Sounds PERFECT.. Can't believe what it would sound like with no cats lol.
And no offense, what you would do in the garage for a muffler delete vs what a company like Soul does is night and day..
Care to post before/ after? It would certainly help me make a decision.

I'm considering a RPI GTM full system right now.
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
DRKNTM615.50
      08-24-2020, 04:40 AM   #6
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really? Do you know my profession? Do you know my skill set? Do you know what my garage looks like? My equipment? You literally know NOTHING about me, yet assume I am some garage hack.

Nope.

I do however appreciate your input. I can appreciate brand loyalty, but your post is a bit offensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay77 View Post
Really? Do you know my profession? Do you know my skill set? Do you know what my garage looks like? My equipment? You literally know NOTHING about me, yet assume I am some garage hack.

Nope.

I do however appreciate your input. I can appreciate brand loyalty, but your post is a bit offensive.
I think he's referring to the amount of R&D that goes into these commercially available products. I'd definitely be interested in the MSR Style Intakes if you do end up fabricating them. I currently have installed the AFE cold air intakes installed and although I'm impressed with the performance, the sound is definitely lacking.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
I think he's referring to the amount of R&D that goes into these commercially available products. I'd definitely be interested in the MSR Style Intakes if you do end up fabricating them. I currently have installed the AFE cold air intakes installed and although I'm impressed with the performance, the sound is definitely lacking.

Interesting.

R&D in exhaust tips? The back end of an exhaust system plays VERY LITTLE in the performance, if any at all. They are pipes. Nothing more. Titanium, stainless, galvanized aluminum, same result, maybe a little different sound.

An intake system plays a HUGE role in performance, and that doesn't scare you away? With basically NO R&D?

But I digress, we are way off topic here. I can tell all of this will just turn in to a pissing match. "If you don't spend $X,XXX on brand X system, it is garbage" Different strokes for different folks. Some people like spending money, others, like myself, enjoy fabricating parts. People enjoy their cars differently. I won't defend my work, that in the past, has always produced the desired results. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
looks like you skipped over the no offense part, and took offense lol.
Appreciate 3
      08-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
I assume catless down pipes. I would suggest gutting your mufflers instead of deleting them, as sound can still bounce of the metal and give you a deeper grunt then a straight pipe. I had gutted mufflers and catless dp with eventuri intake but it wasn't even close to an exhaust system like the akra I have now. Now if you fabricate a titanium exhaust for yourself from down pipes back, soo titanium center pipes then just do a full titanium straight pipe and you will get what your looking for

Interesting take. I have the Akrapovic Evo/MPE too which is a full exhaust with titanium downpipes. Of course I'm bias, but I think it sounds fantastic. The metal type makes just as much difference as any in the sound.

That said, I've hear numerous S63 cars with downpipes and "high flow"/gutted cats. Downpipes alone typically change the entire character of the sound. I heard a downpipe on the same Akra, and it doesn't even sound the same anymore. Too loud and aggressive to me.

The best combo would be a high flow or factory cat with a titanium street exhaust system. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-25-2020 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks like you skipped over the no offense part, and took offense lol.
Just because you say "no offense", does not excuse an offensive comment.....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #12
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone else think I was being offensive!??

Tell you what, i'll post a pic of the Soul performance exhaust, highlighting it's craftsmanship, go ahead and post your work, we'll compare it. That should settle it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:

Tell you what, i'll post a pic of the Soul performance exhaust, highlighting it's craftsmanship, go ahead and post your work, we'll compare it. That should settle it.
My son and I take a ton of pride in our DIY fab work. I would have been alright with it as we fabricate out of our garage. The point of the R&D is to produce verifiable power all while reducing or eliminating drone with the bonus of a great exhaust note. Regardless of how much money I can save before I build something I at least question does this make sense to do it myself.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:

Just drop it. Point made.
      08-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93

I’ve gone down this same road before, I did catted downpipes and muffler delete and the sound was very raspy/farty. However, I added a resonated X pipe where the remaining factory resonators were and the sound was magnificent. This is a thread by a forum member that inspired me to do this, check out the before and after sound clips:

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198054

I am on the same boat as you and refuse to spend 3k for an exhaust. This was by far one of the best sounding cars I had. I recently picked up a 2015 F13, and am doing the same now. The only difference is when this thread I am sharing was first created, magnaflow only offered a 2.5 inch resonated X-pipe, they now offer a 3 inch option on amazon prime (part number 12469), and is what I ordered this time around, as it matches the 3 inch diameter of the factory exhaust.
Appreciate 0