BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Front brake rotor change

Hello all, any one have a DIY on the front brake rotor change. Mine is getting too thin. Planning to get the OEM BMW ones. Also there seems to be two types of brake rotor hub screws, not sure which set. There is a M8x12 and M8x14. Which is the correct set. Car is a 2017 M6 coupe. Any advice will help. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I don't have a DIY for you but can assure you it is incredible simple. For the parts I would hit up fcpeuro.com. I am not affiliated but have used them for years to care for my wife's 550 and more recently parts for my m6gc. They are incredibly fast on responses and have yet had to send a part back.

This is a very helpful resource when doing your won repair work. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I don't have a DIY for you but can assure you it is incredible simple. For the parts I would hit up fcpeuro.com. I am not affiliated but have used them for years to care for my wife's 550 and more recently parts for my m6gc. They are incredibly fast on responses and have yet had to send a part back.

This is a very helpful resource when doing your won repair work. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
+1 on both recommendations.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Speednlux
Private
Rep
Drives: F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Hello all, any one have a DIY on the front brake rotor change. Mine is getting too thin. Planning to get the OEM BMW ones. Also there seems to be two types of brake rotor hub screws, not sure which set. There is a M8x12 and M8x14. Which is the correct set. Car is a 2017 M6 coupe. Any advice will help. Thanks!!
https://youtu.be/9OXKzuYO86k
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speednlux View Post

Nice share but now I have a serious case of garage envy.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
... Also there seems to be two types of brake rotor hub screws, not sure which set. There is a M8x12 and M8x14. Which is the correct set. Car is a 2017 M6 coupe. Any advice will help. Thanks!!
This is easily made clear by simply using one of the online part database sites...pulling up the diagram shows exactly why there are two screws...and also where they are used.

You may also want to verify the info you posted about the hub screw sizes...you either have a typo...or you're looking at the wrong rotor set-up. I would recommend going to one of the sites, typing in the last 7 digits of your VIN...then going to the BRAKE diagrams to find the rotors for your M6 then check the part nbr index etc to make sure you're getting ones for the M6.

If you're not familiar with the diagrams...the encircled numbers represents hardware like screws/nuts/bolts/clips/pins/etc and usually have their own index within the diagram. You can clearly see where #2 & #4 in the diagram are used.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
x-tech7
Private
Rep

:Thanks for all the replies! Especially to FCP Euro. I didn't know they have a Lifetime warranty on all their products. The video helped a lot ,but wished he went into a little more details. Seems straight forward enough. Thanks Qsilver7 for the diagrams. I also finally figured out that one set if for the fronts and another different screw set was for the rears. Stupid me. Thanks again to all!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I've learned that nothing is straightforward working on the M6.
      06-17-2020, 01:32 AM   #10
x-tech7
Private
Rep

So after reading = https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/, it says to not put brake pad grease on the back of the brake pads and contact surfaces of the caliper with the brake pad. I was always thought you should grease them to make the brakes quiet. The guy on the youtube video also did. What are your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #11
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
If the pad does not have damping material on the back, so that you would have bare metal to metal contact between the pad and the caliper pistons, then you have to use the lube/graphite. Several brake pad manufacturers now put (usually a graphite impregnated material) backing on the back of the pads. It looks like the pads in the example have that type of backing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
So after reading = https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/, it says to not put brake pad grease on the back of the brake pads and contact surfaces of the caliper with the brake pad. I was always thought you should grease them to make the brakes quiet. The guy on the youtube video also did. What are your thoughts.
To me it seems that cars from the factory never use that grease on the pads, I had quite a few new cars and when changing pads the back plate is always clean,I never put the grease and never had a problem ,it just seems messy
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #13
x-tech7
Private
Rep

So I finally did the brake change this weekend with the help of my brother in law. Took our time with it and done about 3hrs. Everything was going well but did struggle a little with getting the brake calipers on and off. We had to remove the brake line and pad senor bracket off in order to give us slack to slide the caliper off. Two 10mm nuts. No room with conventional sockets, so had to use open ended and ratcheting wrenches. We didn't remove the two caliper bolts like the video, only the two 14mm nuts. Once we had some slack we had to push the caliper pistons back and finally wiggle the whole calipers out. The hardest part was trying to align the two giude pins to line up with the calipers and the pads. The thing I find out that seem like a bad design was in order to just change the pads, you would have to remove the whole caliper. They should have made it where you could remove the "bridge" of the caliper and just slide the pads out. Like StopTech or AP racing. It would be much faster and easier for pad changes. But since I was change the rotors as well it didn't make a difference. Also I didn't end up greasing the back of the pads or contact areas of the calipers. I did use BMW pads and they came with back plates. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
So I finally did the brake change this weekend with the help of my brother in law. Took our time with it and done about 3hrs. Everything was going well but did struggle a little with getting the brake calipers on and off. We had to remove the brake line and pad senor bracket off in order to give us slack to slide the caliper off. Two 10mm nuts. No room with conventional sockets, so had to use open ended and ratcheting wrenches. We didn't remove the two caliper bolts like the video, only the two 14mm nuts. Once we had some slack we had to push the caliper pistons back and finally wiggle the whole calipers out. The hardest part was trying to align the two giude pins to line up with the calipers and the pads. The thing I find out that seem like a bad design was in order to just change the pads, you would have to remove the whole caliper. They should have made it where you could remove the "bridge" of the caliper and just slide the pads out. Like StopTech or AP racing. It would be much faster and easier for pad changes. But since I was change the rotors as well it didn't make a difference. Also I didn't end up greasing the back of the pads or contact areas of the calipers. I did use BMW pads and they came with back plates. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.
The calipers used on the M are monoblock they a molded piece of aluminum that makes them more rigid than calipers that use a bridge bolt,They are better calipers but changing pads make it more difficult
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0