BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
RichNa
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i (M6 converted)

Horn when locking the car, with engine off.

Is it possible to code the car horn when locking it? Instead of chirp, with engine off.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The audible alert comes from the alarm siren...not the car’s horn...so the answer is no...there’s no easy way to make the horn the audible source for lock/unlock verification.

But, you can make changes to the sound of the audible alert with coding software. For example, Bimmercode has several different options for the audible confirmation tones. You can see some examples of the selections you can choose from using my 2013 f05 & Bimmercode:

{the images below shows the available selections for each coding option listed above}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The audible alert comes from the alarm siren...not the car’s horn...so the answer is no...there’s no easy way to make the horn the audible source for lock/unlock verification.

But, you can make changes to the sound of the audible alert with coding software. For example, Bimmercode has several different options for the audible confirmation tones. You can see some examples of the selections you can choose from using my 2013 f05 & Bimmercode:

{the images below shows the available selections for each coding option listed above}

I did this on the Carly app too it worked great ,I put a low fast quiet quick chirp,
and have my mirrors auto fold in this way when I see the mirrors in I know its locked from a distance
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Get BimmerCode, one of the best bang for your buck mods!
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Nothing worse than pulling out of a busy parking lot and hearing honks. Am in someone's way or are people just (un)locking their cars?

It's the first thing i disable on any of my cars, if horn is used. Should be illegal along using the honks in radio commercials...
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      07-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Nothing worse than pulling out of a busy parking lot and hearing honks. Am in someone's way or are people just (un)locking their cars?

It's the first thing i disable on any of my cars, if horn is used. Should be illegal along using the honks in radio commercials...
Ha ha ...we think similarly in this regard. I too, find car manufacturers that use the car’s horn for audible alerts for lock/unlock annoying because upon hearing the horn honking...you’re unsure if someone is honking to get your attention for various reasons.

In the same bucket of annoyance (for me) is the use of “common” doorbell sounds (is someone at my door or was that the TV?) & T-Mobile commercials (is that my cell phone?) in commercials. Also the cars that have automatic headlights that shut off minutes after the driver leaves the car. I’m never sure if the driver has accidentally left their headlights on or if they have timed lights. Especially if the driver is elderly...I would hate to have noticed it and not been kind enough to say something so that they won’t be coming back to a car that may not start because they ran the battery down. I know I would hope someone told me if they saw that I left my headlights on.

That is the reason I like the way BMW designed the pathway lights...you initiate them when you need them...like in a dark parking lot, drive, or street when you actually need them. And not automatically in a well illuminated place.

BTW, the last time I can remember where a BMW in the US market used its horn to indicate lock/unlock...was the 1995 e38. Starting with the 1996 model year...the alarm siren has been the audible sound generator for the lock/unlock & arm/disarm alert...at least for anything from the 5 series and larger vehicles.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Also the cars that have automatic headlights that shut off minutes after the driver leaves the car. I'm never sure if the driver has accidentally left their headlights on or if they have timed lights. Especially if the driver is elderly...I would hate to have noticed it and not been kind enough to say something so that they won't be coming back to a car that may not start because they ran the battery down. I know I would hope someone told me if they saw that I left my headlights on.
Yup, we speak the same language, lol.
Circa 20-25 years ago I actually approached an older gentleman to tell him that he forgot to turn off the headlights on his fancy new Audi. He laughed. I blushed. And then I laughed too 😂
Appreciate 0