BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
N54andS63TU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 6speedMT!

14 M6 downpipes without tune question

BMW M6 S63tu I want to install downpipes with o2 adapters to eliminate check engine, doing mostly for louder pops(cracks) from competition exhaust don't care about power, but I do not want to get a tune. Can I run Catless downpipes without tune safe? It won't mess with my AFR? I just don't want to run lean or rich after installing downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
936F06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Regardless of running lean or rich our cars already mostly run rich. Yes you can run down pipes with out a tune you will just run rich and smell some gas at times. Computer might still throw light on. But if you are not due for a state inspection and then get a tune 3 months down the road
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:57 PM   #3
N54andS63TU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 6speedMT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 936F06 View Post
Regardless of running lean or rich our cars already mostly run rich. Yes you can run down pipes with out a tune you will just run rich and smell some gas at times. Computer might still throw light on. But if you are not due for a state inspection and then get a tune 3 months down the road
I was hoping putting o2 extensions ( adapters) would eliminate check engine light
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If you get good o2 adapters there shouldn't be any problems with check engine lights or anything.
If I were you I'd still get a tune to get more backfire and bring the car alive, but it's up to you! Have fun with it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 936F06 View Post
I was hoping putting o2 extensions ( adapters) would eliminate check engine light
The O2 adapters are typically very hit or miss, more skewed towards miss. Most folks will spend a few bucks and tune out the CEL warning. Personally, i think it's pretty stupid to drive around with it constantly on like some folks do.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
BMW M6 S63tu I want to install downpipes with o2 adapters to eliminate check engine, doing mostly for louder pops(cracks) from competition exhaust don't care about power, but I do not want to get a tune. Can I run Catless downpipes without tune safe? It won't mess with my AFR? I just don't want to run lean or rich after installing downpipes.

If you have the CP you will only suffer from CEL, If you have the regular M6 RPM might drop while driving in 6th Gear at low speed causing the car to stall. Best suggestion is to get BM3, flash your OEM tune back and just switch off the O2 (in case you don't have the CP, choose the CP tune (still OEM) from BM3 (575hp) and switch off the O2.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

I drove about 300miles with DPs and without a tune. Obviously with CEL on, waiting to decide which tune to go for (ended up going with bm3 2 months ago)
No problem with the car during trip with the CEL light on, you will instantly feel quicker response in the high rpm range but a smidge of power loss from 2k to 3k rpm.

Also M6Roar where did you find this info?
Never ever heard about that (and mine didn't do that before tune for 300miles - regular M6 2014)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
I drove about 300miles with DPs and without a tune. Obviously with CEL on, waiting to decide which tune to go for (ended up going with bm3 2 months ago)
No problem with the car during trip with the CEL light on, you will instantly feel quicker response in the high rpm range but a smidge of power loss from 2k to 3k rpm.

Never ever heard about that (and mine didn't do that before tune for 300miles - regular M6 2014)
Unfortunate it happened to me. I had few knocks in my bm3 stage 1 so i decided to revert back to my original tune (for testing) and while driving at low speed rpm dropped and car turned off. Switch to CP tune and all went to normal again. Not sure why tbh. Figured out the reason of my knock (bad fuel)

Last edited by M6Roar; 04-26-2020 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #9
foma1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post

I'm thinking about getting BM3, how do u like it? how much wheel HP are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
droptop135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Without a tune it will def be slower as parameter need to be changed in your ECU to take in account for air/fuel mixture etc. RPMs will dip some. Not really sure it would be worth it to me unless I was tuning also.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:49 AM   #11
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Hey guys I’m kinda in a similar situation and need some advice. I’m installing catless dp on my M6. I’ve decided to get a Jb4 with the Bluetooth kit ( the $800 version). Now, if I run catless dp and map 1 will I need to upgrade the spark plugs 1 step colder and gapped or can I use this setup with stock plugs without issues? I’m not interested in racing nor do I drive hard. It’s mostly for more sound with the E-sport and the JB4 to remove CEL. I don’t think I’m interested in an ECU tune either. The piggyback back is all I need.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:27 AM   #12
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting BM3, how do u like it? how much wheel HP are you getting?
I did run almost 600 whp for stage 1 93 oct

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689101

Right now I am at stage 2 93 oct, didn't get the time to dyno it (extremely hot climate) but it feels far more powerful that stage 1, I would say Avg. 640 +- 3%

BM3 support is one of a kind and it has a larger community.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
Is there a solution like this available for our vehicles?

H
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Is there a solution like this available for our vehicles?

H
Did you install the downpipes yet?

If not I think going with a stage 1 tune will yield more benefits than an adaptor (technically doesn't stop the CEL) & downpipes.

If you are looking for burble then a tune can do that & If you are looking for louder exhaust just go with Muffler delete.

If you are looking to adj. parameters, go with JB4 or BM3.

Just logically speaking, a good quality downpipes will cost you over the price of a JB4 or a BM3 not to mention installation (if you know someone that can fix it for free. ), gaskets , etc.

If its about a warranty then keep it stock until it finishes.

Damn thats alot of IF conditions lol.
Appreciate 0