BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #331
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
I learned to drive in a '75 Beetle. My father marked out a track for me in a gravel pit including up to the top of one of the stock piles. He showed me how to pull away from a stop on the road up the stock pile. Then he said don't come back until you think you can do it right. I had to get him to fill the gas tank twice that day. I had a blast and certainly learned the basics of driving a stick. Oh and the Beetle was my mother's DD and just over a year old. She wasn't quite as happy as I was.
There is a series of streets in Ventura that have stop signs at the top of the hill. Told my son: "When you can drive me up there, stop, and then pull away, I give you the keys to the bug." He failed a few times, but has his own set of keys.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917423.00
3.0L8937.00
      03-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #332
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There is a series of streets in Ventura that have stop signs at the top of the hill. Told my son: "When you can drive me up there, stop, and then pull away, I give you the keys to the bug." He failed a few times, but has his own set of keys.
I am a firm believer that EVERYONE should be required to take their driving exam in a manual car. My reasoning is that I think it makes you a better driver because you have a better understanding of how a car works. An added benefit is we'll have a lot fewer people driving around with their damned brake lights on all the time. If you can drive a manual you can drive an auto. It doesn't work the other way around.
vreihen1615333.00
      03-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #333
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am a firm believer that EVERYONE should be required to take their driving exam in a manual car. My reasoning is that I think it makes you a better driver because you have a better understanding of how a car works. An added benefit is we'll have a lot fewer people driving around with their damned brake lights on all the time. If you can drive a manual you can drive an auto. It doesn't work the other way around.
I keep telling all the nieces/nephews I will teach them. "Why?" "Because if you are out, and the driver is drunk and you have to take his keys, you have to be able to get home"
Appreciate 2
Buug95917423.00
Joekerr7929.00
      03-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #334
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
It's not really that hard to learn to drive a manual. My sister bought a brand new '75 VW Bug and had no idea how to drive a stick. She drove the car home from the dealer and learned on the way home. She actually did okay and became fairly competent in that one drive.
      03-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #335
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Quote:
I keep telling all the nieces/nephews I will teach them. "Why?" "Because if you are out, and the driver is drunk and you have to take his keys, you have to be able to get home"
Realistically I'm probably not going to have my kids take the test on a manual, but they are definitely going to learn how to drive one assuming cheap manual transmission cars still exist in 13 years. It is so much more engaging.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43787.00
Buug95917423.00
      03-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #336
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
None of them have taken me up on it. My diabolical real plan is to get them in the car, drive a couple miles, park at a bar, and go inside
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00
      03-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #337
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I've been in that very predicament a couple of times myself. I've had more than my allowance and my partner can't drive a stick (and refuses to learn) so we were stuck. Stuck until I had an epiphany one night. I called a tow truck and had them come and get my car and take it home. Of course we climbed in the truck as well. Added benefit was I knew that my car was safe at home where it belonged and not left on the street overnight and I didn't have to go and fetch it the next day when I probably didn't want to go anywhere.
The tow cost me $75. A cab would have been about $40. The piece of mind was well worth the $35 IMO.
      03-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #338
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Hell, can kids these days even parallel park? I don't think they're even required to learn how to. I remember Driver's Ed. class in HS and we had to learn both manual and automatic cars as well as parallel parking, etc. What has changed?
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00
      03-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #339
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Hell, can kids these days even parallel park? I don't think they're even required to learn how to. I remember Driver's Ed. class in HS and we had to learn both manual and automatic cars as well as parallel parking, etc. What has changed?
Yeah, with more cars on the road than ever, and cell phones, it's tougher out there to drive. Definitely not easier.
      03-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #340
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I guess someone could argue that new cars have a lot of safety tech, but that shouldn't replace good driving skills.
      03-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #341
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
If you can drive a manual you can drive an auto. It doesn't work the other way around.
I'm living proof that a manual driver can NOT drive an automatic! The few times that I've had to endure one, the first stop resulted in my forehead getting a new knot when I subconsciously mashed the "clutch" pedal and dropped anchor on the brakes instead. The person in charge of our vehicle pool at work was surprised that I never put my info in to use one of the loaner cars. I told him that everything in the pool is a slushbox and I can't drive an automatic. If I need to take a work trip, I just take my own vehicle and don't even put in for the miles.

The one time that I got stuck with an automatic rental car for a day while my truck was in the shop, I drove it left-foot braking the entire time for the practice.

Quote:
"Because if you are out, and the driver is drunk and you have to take his keys, you have to be able to get home"
No Uber or Lyft out there on the west coast?????
      03-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #342
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Perhaps one day it won't even matter as driving will become completely autonomous.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #343
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
THIS! Or if they get hurt or arrested...I meanshit happens. THat was the reasoning my dad gave me as well

Quote:
No...not even sure they teach it. Most kids don't even want to learn how to drive which blows my effin mind! The day I turned 17 I was at the DMV taking my test! My little cousin is 21 and still doesn't have a liscense. Smdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I guess someone could argue that new cars have a lot of safety tech, but that DOESN'T replace good driving skills.
Fixed it for you
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00
      03-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #344
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fixed it for you
You're right of course, but a lot of people today depend on that safety tech in place of good driving skills. I like safety tech. I love my backup camera, but I still use my mirrors and turn around to look as well when backing up.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #345
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
You're right of course, but a lot of people today depend on that safety tech in place of good driving skills. I like safety tech. I love my backup camera, but I still use my mirrors and turn around to look as well when backing up.
I turn around ALWAYS even though I have a backup camera. It's just a habit (good one) since I learned to drive from 15.5 years old. It's funny because I don't trust only using the camera.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #346
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Only 2% of males can self felate, but 98% try.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #347
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I turn around ALWAYS even though I have a backup camera. It's just a habit (good one) since I learned to drive from 15.5 years old. It's funny because I don't trust only using the camera.
Yeah, I never use just the camera, but the camera is the only way to see that space right behind your car that you can't see through the mirrors or when you turn around to look. A must, and that is why all new cars come with them.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00
      03-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #348
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Only 2% of males can self felate, but 98% try.
LOL. I'll bet I can guess which ethnicity would have the largest % of success.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #349
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
LOL. I'll bet I can guess which ethnicity would have the largest % of success.
I've heard Asians are very flexible....
Stop now (said the Irishman....).
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      03-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #350
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

I can't see out the back of my truck. I use my mirrors for backing up. I always take a good look at where I want to back into as I'm approaching said spot. My back-up camera is only used to verify that nothing has moved into my blind spot directly behind me and for hooking up to a trailer. I learned to back up with mirrors alone long before there was a dream of cameras. It just doesn't seem right to rely solely on a camera.
      03-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #351
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

I'm actually really looking forward to having the 360 camera on my new car. One day when I eventually receive said car I can actually enjoy it. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #352
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

There is a service in my area called late night chauffeur. So I’m out with my wife and 2 boys at a tasting menu place and they pair each course with a wine.
You can also get a beer.

It’s a very fun experience for my family of foodies. Well after the 10 course I’m realizing I’m getting tipsy. Figure I’ll Uber home and get the car in the AM. No big deal. My son tells me about late night chauffeur. I call and for a bit more than the Uber they come with 2 drivers one drives your car home and the other follows.

Great service.

Quote:
I've been in that very predicament a couple of times myself. I've had more than my allowance and my partner can't drive a stick (and refuses to learn) so we were stuck. Stuck until I had an epiphany one night. I called a tow truck and had them come and get my car and take it home. Of course we climbed in the truck as well. Added benefit was I knew that my car was safe at home where it belonged and not left on the street overnight and I didn't have to go and fetch it the next day when I probably didn't want to go anywhere.
The tow cost me $75. A cab would have been about $40. The piece of mind was well worth the $35 IMO.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00