BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
MBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC

Headlight adjustment to align with bumper

Hi everyone I searched and combed through forums TIS ETK but could not find an answer to my question.

I had a minor accident, damage was front bumper cover, right headlight and some air ducts behind the bumper. I'm insured but my insurance does not cover body repair at the dealer, only independent body shop. So I took it to their approved body shop and they fixed the car, however there were several issues including paint not matching, bumper is not aligned with other panels so I took it back and they've redone the paint and installed the bumper properly except where the bumper meets the headlight. I took it back the 3rd time and they took everything apart and we searched for any possible adjustment but could not find any. Attached are picture of the gap between the headlight and bumper (black grill), pictures of another car that is still factory (chrome grill).

If you zoom in on the repaired one you'll see a gap that the body shop failed to eliminate. I'm technically inclined (engineer) but not an experienced body shop worker. I was with them the whole time and there seems to be no adjustment in the headlight setting to the body.

Looking for experts out there who can help please?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

from the second set im not sure where the GAP is (very possible my eyes on a laptop screen) however the first set was shocking if they gave you it back like that.

Also you have to question if it is not fitting together properly as before is it not likely something else was bent in the prang?

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

If we assume that what the headlight mounts to was not bent, to me it looks like the bumper cover is not correctly mounted. Like it's being held out by something and needs to go further back. But that one gap is pretty large, so I'd be pretty concerned about a body shop that cannot diagnose the issue. It can be a pin to get those bumper covers on right because of the air vents behind. But that's not an issue of the headlights needing to go right or left, that bumper is bulging out in the middle. See how the bumper does not continue the downward slope of the hood? It appears to turn upward a bit. It looks like something is keeping it from going fully in.
Appreciate 0