BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-25-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
Mirza_7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6-GO6, M6-F13

Engine light, but no codes!?

So recently picked up a 2016 f13; was told it just has a tune (no idea what tune it was) and upgraded charge pipes. (PPI was clear from an Indy shop).

I switched over to BM3 Stage 1..
No issues until I went to get the car inspected for NYS emissions. The CAT/O2s/evap were all not ready even after driving for 600+ miles.

I figured I'd switch it back to the "stock tune" on BM3 and do a drive cycle.
10 miles later I get a check engine light, no codes. Did a reflash and drove 50 miles and CEL is back again with no codes.

(Checked codes with BM3 and a OBD2 scanner).

I just reset the DME and will try another drive cycle. (I don't think flashing tunes "resets" the DME; correct me if I'm wrong).

If anyone has any advice before I start throwing money/parts at the car; would be appreciated!

Also, does the BM3 stage 1 tune disable the O2 or Cat sensors? I don't think it should but maybe I'm wrong again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:21 AM   #2
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

It sounds to me you have upgraded catless downpipes, not charge pipes like they told you .

When you switch over from catted to catless downpipes you get those exact symptoms or your cats (Catalytic converters) are bad , that causes the check engine light and why the system isn’t ready
Appreciate 1
Mirza_775.50
      03-30-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
Mirza_7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6-GO6, M6-F13

Figured I'd update here if anyone else needs the info with catless in a "emissions state"..

Turns out my M6 was catless downpipes.

I figured I'd try getting getting all monitors to set before changing the OEM downpipes back in…
After doing some maintenance work (oil, plugs/coils, all sensors, filters, etc..).
While on BM3 with the CAT cell turned off; the o2 and fuel sensors never got 'ready' even after 1000 miles which were only allowed 1 monitor not ready in NY.

Keeping it stock with just a stage 1 tune for now, but
I 100% would go back to catless downpipes, just for the sound if I didn't have to deal with emissions.

Looking at upgraded exhaust systems for the next mod.. (although I've already got the comp pack with the M perf.)
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50