BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
Daygo6
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Fuel Injector Nightmare

Trainwreck incoming:

Soo, about two months ago, while driving to work my MC6C throws the drive train malfunction, starts misfiring, and goes into Limpmode. I have it towed to a indy shop that tells me my HPFP failed. Good news is it's covered by BMWNA 10year/120k mile extended warranty. Fantastic, I take it to a local dealer ship who eventually diagnosis It as two failed Injectors that were stuck open and flooded cylinders two and four. Dealer ship replaces four Injectors and spark plugs, and I get the car back and it runs fine.

Two weeks later I'm on a 300 mile road trip with My girlfriend, in the middle of nowhere, when i get another drive train malfunction, misfiring, and limp mode. I drive another 3 minutes to an area with some lighting where the vehicle eventually stalls and throws itself into neutral. I had bought it two years ago from carmax and thankfully have a extended warranty through them, so I have it towed to a carmax dealership 80 miles away...still a good 220 miles away from home. Carmax tells me they'll check it out and get back to me asap. Radio silence for almost 20 days from carmax until they tell me they actually aren't equipped to diagnose the issue and BMW will need to see the car. After raising hell they tow my car free of charge 70 miles away to the nearest dealership.

Yesterday I get a call from that dealership saying yet again my injectors have failed, and 6 will need to be replaced. I'm now worried however that after repeated flooding of fuel from my faulty injectors if my engine may be screwed. I'm hearing that the flooding could cause serious cylinder damage.

So my question is; has anyone experienced this? And if faulty fuel injectors were the cause of a fried motor, did BMW do a goodwill replacement due to this issue?

Regardless I have SERIOUS PTSD from this car now and will be selling it asap once I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Just make sure you do an oil change and filter right after you replace your fuel injectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep

Garage List
The car max warranty may cover engine replacement. If it were me I'd explore the scope of the warranty to see and if so I'd drive it till at least the term of the warranty as you may get a great car with a rebuilt engine. If the engine does eat itself and they cover it ask them for an RKAutowerks stick rebuild which will come with its own warranty which you'll likely never need based on my experience.

Maybe even escalate/raise the concern with the warranty company now or speak with an attorney to see if you can push for it now or explore the option of them buying you out of the car. Don't act in impulse as it may cost ya more.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
Daygo6
Rep

Sold my M6 and bought a new Ram Rebel. Was a long time lurker here and really enjoyed reading through the threads. One day I'll probably buy another M6, but it will most likely be the V10 for a fun little project car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
neverAgain
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Sorry replying so late but I'll post in case this comes up for someone else.

I had the same issue with the high-pressure fuel pump failing as well as 3 injectors (all on the same cylinder-bank). The injectors must have failed in an open position as there was fuel everywhere and smoke was billowing out the back like mad. I limped the car to the dealership and the pump and 3 injectors (not all 8!) were replaced under an extended warranty. HOWEVER, the fuel had killed that bank's catalytic converter and the check engine light came on 2 weeks later with the dreaded P0420 code. I confirmed it was the cat by swapping O2 sensors between banks 1 and 2.

I tried and tried to get BMW to cover the cat but no joy. I ended up replacing the cat on my own dime for about $2k as I needed to get the car smogged. I sold the car recently as I just don't trust those remaining injectors to work reliably and I don't want to be fixing that and another cat. In addition, many owners of the N63 engine are familiar with the high oil consumption due to the valve seals.

If you want more info on any of this, just google it. I wish I had before I'd bought the car.

Anyway, if you've had the very common problem of failed injectors, be cautious of the catalytic converter.
Appreciate 1