BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Xdrive retrofit 640D UK

Has anyone else considered an xdrive retrofit to a UK 640D? I've been having a look around and getting parts from an F10 535DX doesn't look scary expensive. The bit I'm not sure about is what electronic modules would be impacted and require coding. The actual physical mechanics look relatively straight forward.

For info, the UK market didn't get xdrive on the 6 series as an option, but did on the F10. With the UK being RHD it's not practical to import one from Europe (LHD).

The reason I'm thinking about this is I'm seriously thinking about a tune to get the car closer to 400 horses, but given the current weather I'm already spinning out the rear when ever I get a bit spirited, so thinking xdrive might make it a bit easier to get the power down.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
Has anyone else considered an xdrive retrofit to a UK 640D? I've been having a look around and getting parts from an F10 535DX doesn't look scary expensive. The bit I'm not sure about is what electronic modules would be impacted and require coding. The actual physical mechanics look relatively straight forward.

For info, the UK market didn't get xdrive on the 6 series as an option, but did on the F10. With the UK being RHD it's not practical to import one from Europe (LHD).

The reason I'm thinking about this is I'm seriously thinking about a tune to get the car closer to 400 horses, but given the current weather I'm already spinning out the rear when ever I get a bit spirited, so thinking xdrive might make it a bit easier to get the power down.
My previous car was an F30 335d x drive. I now have an F06 GC.

Now that I'm driving a rwd car on the same roads/routes I've had to adjust my driving style and be a bit cautious when using the power pedal. with the weather being the way it is now, I'm that bit extra cautious.

I've got a set of winter tyres that will go on soon - that will help with grip. I'm booked in with celtic tuning on the 20th Dec for a remap. I was thinking it's the wrong time to get it done but I've just told myself to be sensible and drive accordingly to road conditions etc. Looking forward to when the roads are hot and dry - rare though in the UK.

The x drive conversion does sound interesting though.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

No F06/12/13 RHD were xdrive at all - I'd say it would be cheaper for you to buy a new 8 series with xdrive.

Or just swap between good winter tyres and Michelin PS4S depending on the season and you'll be fine.
      12-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Very interesting that BMW would not include an xDrive option in the UK of all places.

My earlier BMWs were all RWD. I finally made the switch to xDrive on my previous 550, and I loved it. Consequently, I ordered my 650 GC as xDrive, as well. It adds better footing all year round, but it's especially important here in CT this time of year. While I've driven plenty of RWD BMWs during North East winters, it does take some caution and practice. With the extra power of these cars, it just makes sense to use all four wheels.

The downside? It does add some extra weight, and it does change the driving dynamics - especially some potential for understeer if you were really pushing it. But I think there are more pros than cons to all wheel drive.

Now, should you convert your 6 series? I don't know. Financially, it's probably not a wise use of money under normal circumstances. That said, "value" is really what one can extract from it personally. If you'd get your "value's worth" from this conversion (and only you would know), then perhaps it's worth considering. If you're keeping the car long-term, I could see an argument for it. If not, I don't think it's a smart move either way - especially since you risk resale value along with loss of your investment.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In looking around it looks like the F10 wasnt offered as xdrive in the UK either. but the G series gets xdrive so will look to see if any parts are common. Key concern is the steering rack, with all our cars being rwd I'm wondering if there will be an issue with electric rack on xdrive. Does anyone have a link to any article or can explain why xdrive is hydraulic steering?

In terms of resale value, my cars already on the way to the bottom of the list in value as about to clock up 100k miles. In the UK as it would be unique I'm not sure it would hamper the resale value. It won't return the few k that it will cost me to do, but it's more about enjoying the driving pleasure for the next couple of years and about getting the power down (remember I'm looking at getting a tune as well). The engineering side is just something I'd enjoy so likeing a challenge I'm up for it if I can prove it will work and won't break the bank (using sensible salvage parts where appropriate).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
This is about as uneconomical a refit as I could ever think of. electric vs hydraulic steering, wiring, sensors, reservoirs etc.
      12-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
In looking around it looks like the F10 wasnt offered as xdrive in the UK either. but the G series gets xdrive so will look to see if any parts are common. Key concern is the steering rack, with all our cars being rwd I'm wondering if there will be an issue with electric rack on xdrive. Does anyone have a link to any article or can explain why xdrive is hydraulic steering?

In terms of resale value, my cars already on the way to the bottom of the list in value as about to clock up 100k miles. In the UK as it would be unique I'm not sure it would hamper the resale value. It won't return the few k that it will cost me to do, but it's more about enjoying the driving pleasure for the next couple of years and about getting the power down (remember I'm looking at getting a tune as well). The engineering side is just something I'd enjoy so likeing a challenge I'm up for it if I can prove it will work and won't break the bank (using sensible salvage parts where appropriate).
Well, sounds like you're good on the financial side of it...

As for the parts, would it make sense to source them from a donor 6 series with xDrive? I wouldn't try to retrofit them from a G 5-series... that's probably way more work (if even possible). I would imagine, with enough work, you could find a way to do this with another 6-series as the donor.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
This is about as uneconomical a refit as I could ever think of. electric vs hydraulic steering, wiring, sensors, reservoirs etc.
Actually I did just think of the steering too as I remembered that difference - but I can't remember which way around it is. The M6 is hydraulic so if the xdrive ones are hydraulic as well then that could be a help?

But I still maintain it isn't going to happen

OP - you didn't mention if you already run winter tyres or not? If not, have you seen the below?

12-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's more that I like a challenge, one that I think would have a fun outcome and benefit my joy of driving the car. You might well be right, it might not happen but it gives me something to think about.

It's definitely electric steering on rwd 640d, but I've read a post that implies the xdrive guess down the left side of the transmission (from behind the car) so it's unlikely the steering wheel gubbins is going to be in the way. Just not sure why xdrive is hydraulic unless it was purely for space trains as the electric unit does look bigger around the motor area. I get it wouldn't be a true xdrive retrofit as it will be electric steering, but may well be easier. From what I can tell only the M6 and alpina B6 are hydraulic RHD racks. I'll have a look on realoem at part numbers.

As for winter tyres, nope. P4S but where I live in the UK the worst we get is a little below freezing, it's more the wet and the leaves that are the issue in South East England.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #10
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
Just not sure why xdrive is hydraulic unless it was purely for space trains as the electric unit does look bigger around the motor area. I get it wouldn't be a true xdrive retrofit as it will be electric steering, but may well be easier. From what I can tell only the M6 and alpina B6 are hydraulic RHD racks.
Now I got answer to this question from local forum, DDC (active antiroll bar) is hydraulic, therefore ( only x-drive ?) cars with that equipment are having hydraulic steerer.

One guy is having x-drive with 'just' active shocks and electrical steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting, was thinking about that as a retrofit as well. In terms of parts they're are a lot of breaker parts in Europe so in terms of financial feasibility it's not horrendous, just not as higher a priority on the household as putting a smile on the kids face with a trip to Disney land.

I'll put this on the back burner for now..

Last edited by elvisisdog; 01-17-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0