BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
Domirumano
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 convertible

Unhappy Air conditioning

Hi everyone,

Starting a few days ago, the cooling system in this car began acting up. Once it is turned on, it either comes on or it doesn't; if it does, it stops intermittently and can or not come back on. I have turned it off and tried turning it back on, but even this is hit or miss.

I have also noticed that in order for any substantial cool air to flow, when it does turn on, I need to press the 'MAX AC" button. Yet, even when I do this however, the same can happen as I described above.

I am unsure if it simply needs recharging, or if there is an issue with any of the specific parts.
I would appreciate any feedback and help from anyone with experience and/or knowledge. Thank you much.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:54 AM   #2
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domirumano View Post
Hi everyone,

Starting a few days ago, the cooling system in this car began acting up. Once it is turned on, it either comes on or it doesn't; if it does, it stops intermittently and can or not come back on. I have turned it off and tried turning it back on, but even this is hit or miss.

I have also noticed that in order for any substantial cool air to flow, when it does turn on, I need to press the 'MAX AC" button. Yet, even when I do this however, the same can happen as I described above.

I am unsure if it simply needs recharging, or if there is an issue with any of the specific parts.
I would appreciate any feedback and help from anyone with experience and/or knowledge. Thank you much.
It sounds like your compressor is on it's last legs. The intermittent functioning of the AC could be the compressor clutch failing to engage consistently. This happened to me for a few months before it stopped coming on entirely.

If you open the bonnet and keep your door or window open and start the car without AC then cycle the AC button, you should be able to hear a metal to metal clash sound. That's the clutch engaging and disengaging. If you don't hear anything then it's most likely your compressor is bad.

If you get it from the dealership it's very expensive but you can get the exact same one unbranded for much less. Mine was Denso model DCP05076, for €330 brand new.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
TGG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i xDrive

Garage List
This just happened to my 2017 650 GC….bad compressor. Dealer charged $1600.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:21 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
dealers tend to do condenser and dryer when replacing a failed compressor.
there is a low refrigerant pressor switch that will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging on some systems. condenser replacement would only be required if there is and internal metal loss in the compressor.
Appreciate 0