BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Wheel hop/wiggle at higher speeds - an issue or no?

Anytime I'm pushing the car 130+ plus and let off, the car seems to "wiggle". The whole time I'm down on the throttle I have no issues - car feels planted, secure, solid, just as you'd expect. But the moment I let off (not even brake) I feel the car again, "wiggle". Or wheel hop if you will. I'm not sure if this is simply because these cars have so much power that when you let off the throttle, the wheels need a second to re-adjust or catch up? That may not even make sense lol.

I have a M6 GC Comp. Stock performance wise. Just have H&R springs and Macht Schnell spacers out back only - though I felt this prior to having this set up. I also have new PS4's so tires aren't the problem. It could be something, or it could be the same thing you guys all experience when doing higher MPH's. Let me know!

(And yes I have the settings on a proper M mode and no I don't have traction fully off, just MDM mode)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Anytime I'm pushing the car 130+ plus and let off, the car seems to "wiggle". The whole time I'm down on the throttle I have no issues - car feels planted, secure, solid, just as you'd expect. But the moment I let off (not even brake) I feel the car again, "wiggle". Or wheel hop if you will. I'm not sure if this is simply because these cars have so much power that when you let off the throttle, the wheels need a second to re-adjust or catch up? That may not even make sense lol.

Push 130 often? MPH I assume...? I told the Doc it hurts when I do this. Doc replied... then don't do that.

All kidding aside is this just the ass end getting squabbley do to lack of down force on the rear end and the weight transferring to the front
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKC View Post
Push 130 often? MPH I assume...? I told the Doc it hurts when I do this. Doc replied... then don't do that.

All kidding aside is this just the ass end getting squabbley do to lack of down force on the rear end and the weight transferring to the front
Lmaooo! Yes, MPH. And not super often - maybe 3/4x a month. But okay - good to hear as to why it’s happening. Maybe time for a ricer wing? I kid. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

did you put spacers on the front wheels as well, if so what are your spacer specs. you could be experiencing the wiggle due to the front wheels not aligning with the rear wheels properly.

What may be happening is the rear wheels are grabbing too much air, kinda pushing the car up. it is a downforce issue and you get the wiggle because of the load transfer. as you demand power the car squats into the ground. when you let off, the rear of the car comes up and decompresses the suspension and lets the car come up a little more than what feels comfortable.

I have heard of the issue on some cars with 315+ section tires and spacers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
did you put spacers on the front wheels as well, if so what are your spacer specs. you could be experiencing the wiggle due to the front wheels not aligning with the rear wheels properly.

What may be happening is the rear wheels are grabbing too much air, kinda pushing the car up. it is a downforce issue and you get the wiggle because of the load transfer. as you demand power the car squats into the ground. when you let off, the rear of the car comes up and decompresses the suspension and lets the car come up a little more than what feels comfortable.

I have heard of the issue on some cars with 315+ section tires and spacers.
No spacers on the front as I read about people having issues with them at higher speeds. Plus, I like the look of the front wheels appearing to "tuck". I am also running stock tire sizes on both the front & rear with 12mm spacers out back only. But like I said I felt this prior to installing them.

Your downforce/load transfer theory makes a ton of sense and that's probably it. I don't have a trunk spoiler at the moment - I wonder if this would actually add to the downforce at all. I mean, I'm sure it will but enough to notice a difference - eh, not sure.
Appreciate 0