BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
TheoFromKenmore
Rep
Drives: 2019 G02 X4M40I

2013 F12 650ix wont upshift in Sport+

Hi All,

forgive any formatting errors im new to posting on forums and sorry for the long post I just want to give as many details as possible...

A few weeks back I decided that I wanted to make more power in my 2013 F12 BMW 650i xDrive N63TU, so I purchased an OTS Stage 1 93 Octane map from Bootmod3. I have used Bootmod in the past on not one, but two BMW X3's and never had any issues, so I thought it was a no brainer to use them for my 650.

I Flashed my ECU with the tune and definitely noticed the power upgrade, However there was one problem. The car no longer automatically shifted in Sport + mode. I contacted Bootmod3 support and they said they've never experienced a problem with the transmission on this car and they don't offer a transmission tune because it should be fast enough.

Some Notes:
  • Car shifted normally prior to tune
  • I don't have any check engine lights, I even diagnosed the car with an OBDII code reader and found nothing
  • Shift problem only occurs when in sport + mode AND you floor the gas otherwise it shifts fine if you just cruise up to speed
  • I can manually shift the car using the paddles or the gear selector
  • Transmission works fine and shifts properly in every other drive mode even when hammerd on gas pedal
  • I have since removed the Tune, Flashed to stock ECU and even relocked the DME, and the problem still persists

any ideas as to why this is happening and or how to fix it?

Thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Can't give much help but from what you posted I'd say that the tune had nothing to do with it. Just because B followed A, doesn't mean A caused B.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Thanks for the Reply!

It just seems weird to me that the cars fine in every other drive mode... I've tried googling the issue for a few hours now and no luck. I did find that there is a way to "Factory reset" the transmission by putting the car in accessory mode and holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor for 30 seconds.

I think im going to give that a go, but if that doesn't fix my issue then im completely stumped here
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Weird that you brought this up because I just noticed this the other day with my 2013 650i bm3 stage 2.

I was testing launch control and noticed that it did not want to shift from S1 into S2, the RPM's just stayed at redline, didn't bounce off the rev limit. It shifts fine at WOT every gear after.

I read that if you let off the kickdown button at WOT at any point then it stops auto shift. I will test this out later and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Weird that you brought this up because I just noticed this the other day with my 2013 650i bm3 stage 2.

I was testing launch control and noticed that it did not want to shift from S1 into S2, the RPM's just stayed at redline, didn't bounce off the rev limit. It shifts fine at WOT every gear after.

I read that if you let off the kickdown button at WOT at any point then it stops auto shift. I will test this out later and see.
That's so weird! Even after removing the tune I still get that problem... I remember when I tuned the X3's I had an option to tune the Transmission but that page is blank for the 650...

My 650 bounces off revlimit when im fully floored, and happens at every gear...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Is the shifter toggled to the left or to the right? In manual mode, (toggled left) and Sport+, the auto upshifts are disabled. Not so in any other mode though...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Is the shifter toggled to the left or to the right? In manual mode, (toggled left) and Sport+, the auto upshifts are disabled. Not so in any other mode though...
Hi thanks for your response!

I've tested it with the shifter toggled to the left and to the right. To my understanding -- and correct me if i'm wrong -- when the shifter is pushed to the left the car is in Automatic Sport Transmission... unless you manually change gears up or down, it will remain in automatic sport transmission

Nevertheless, i also tried it with the shifter just in Drive, same outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Unless I am misunderstanding you, when you push the lever to the left you are in "manual" paddle shift mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Unless I am misunderstanding you, when you push the lever to the left you are in "manual" paddle shift mode.

What Walt said... Left is manual, right is sport auto. Left will upshift except when in Sport +, but right and Sport + should upshift. Just make sure you haven't enabled manual mode via the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

So if i’m in sport transmission with sport plus it will automatically be in manual mode, without having touched the paddles or upshifted with the gear lever. i.e not shifting up unless i do?

That also doesn’t explain why my car shifts by itself if I don’t hammer down on the gas pedal in sport plus and lever to left

Something seems odd
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post

What Walt said... Left is manual, right is sport auto. Left will upshift except when in Sport +, but right and Sport + should upshift. Just make sure you haven't enabled manual mode via the paddles.
Not true at all. My 6 shifts in sport+ with the shifter all the way to the left. It's auto shift sports transmission mode (dash reads S1, S2, etc) It only switches to manual if you push up or down on it will on the left or if you hit the paddles (dash reads M1, M2,etc). My cars is 100% of its time in sports+ and shifter to the left.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #12
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFromKenmore View Post
So if i’m in sport transmission with sport plus it will automatically be in manual mode, without having touched the paddles or upshifted with the gear lever. i.e not shifting up unless i do?

That also doesn’t explain why my car shifts by itself if I don’t hammer down on the gas pedal in sport plus and lever to left

Something seems odd
He's not right. It auto shifts when pushed to the left in ANY mode. It only switches to manual if you push the shifter up or down or hit the paddles. Then the dash will change from S1, S2, etc to M1, M2, etc.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
He's not right. It auto shifts when pushed to the left in ANY mode. It only switches to manual if you push the shifter up or down or hit the paddles. Then the dash will change from S1, S2, etc to M1, M2, etc.
Exactly what I initially thought.... still have no idea what’s causing this issue it’s been like this for about a week
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly what I initially thought.... still have no idea what’s causing this issue it’s been like this for about a week
Your 100% right. Bm3 flashes the dme and does not flash or touch the transmission in anyway. I've been using and promoting bm3 on the n63tu for almost 2 years. This is not caused from bm3. The only flash that would effect your transmission would be if you flashed with xHP.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #15
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Quote:
Your 100% right. Bm3 flashes the dme and does not flash or touch the transmission in anyway. I've been using and promoting bm3 on the n63tu for almost 2 years. This is not caused from bm3. The only flash that would effect your transmission would be if you flashed with xHP.
Well it’s good to know it wasn’t the tune! I’m gonna factory reset the transmission tomorrow morning and post an update! Thanks all for your helpful responses. 🤞🏻 Hope it works
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #16
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well it’s good to know it wasn’t the tune! I’m gonna factory reset the transmission tomorrow morning and post an update! Thanks all for your helpful responses. 🤞🏻 Hope it works
No problem. Keep me posted.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #17
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah try checking for codes and resetting your transmission adaptation
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I see this as a positive, I would prefer car didn't shift by itself, that's what driver involvement is for. Use your paddles and take control.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #19
TheoFromKenmore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I see this as a positive, I would prefer car didn't shift by itself, that's what driver involvement is for. Use your paddles and take control.
I understand what you mean and I agree with your statement, But if I wanted the transmission to be in manual mode I would put it in manual mode.

seeing the car act this way is very strange to me and I see is as a problem. Regardless of the severity, I'm just trying to get the car to act as it should.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #20
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I tested out my launch control again tonight and it still won't shift into 2nd in S shift mode. Car shifts fine when I don't use launch control. I'll try resetting my transmission adaptation.

Side note, launching without LC felt much more powerful. Using LC makes it feel so sluggish.

Edit: Car won't shift into 2nd in S mode without LC either hmm
Appreciate 0