BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #23
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
I'm a fan of depreciation, you just have to use it to your advantage and figure out what it's "worth". For some people, they don't care, they'd rather have a car brand new, do a euro delivery and keep it for as long as they can because they're a fan of the brand/car.

Some people (like myself) buy it at the half price point, and use the hell out of it, with the intention of selling it when it halves again in value (or hopefully a bit better than that).

Could i have saved 20k or so if I waited another 2 years +(bought mine in 2016) .. Yes, but then I wouldn't have had the amazing experience of ownership of this car, to me that was worth the 20k, no doubt.

Once i've hit around 65k or so in mileage, I'm going to sell, and swap to a AMG GTS which is also devalue-ing nicely! Maybe I'll keep the f13 m6, its just such a hell of a nice car! I for one, am a fan of depreciation. !
Appreciate 1
quick6750.50
      11-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
I'm a fan of depreciation, you just have to use it to your advantage and figure out what it's "worth". For some people, they don't care, they'd rather have a car brand new, do a euro delivery and keep it for as long as they can because they're a fan of the brand/car.

Some people (like myself) buy it at the half price point, and use the hell out of it, with the intention of selling it when it halves again in value (or hopefully a bit better than that).

Could i have saved 20k or so if I waited another 2 years +(bought mine in 2016) .. Yes, but then I wouldn't have had the amazing experience of ownership of this car, to me that was worth the 20k, no doubt.

Once i've hit around 65k or so in mileage, I'm going to sell, and swap to a AMG GTS which is also devalue-ing nicely! Maybe I'll keep the f13 m6, its just such a hell of a nice car! I for one, am a fan of depreciation. !

My thoughts exactly - in fact I've been eyeing up the AMGTS as the next car a couple years down the line, but the M6GC is such a complete car I'm also tempted to keep it long term and have a toy like a 4C to have a nice rounded garage - they are also depreciating wonderfully but I think will plateau in the near future
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #25
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I used to hate depreciation until the 6 series. I used to always buy new until the 6 series. Now I love depreciation because I can own a ton of 6 series for a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #26
powahousealex
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw m3

Something that was not mentioned is about MMR(MANHEIM) is that there are fees involved and sometimes shipping,also price varies by region . a car in California can vary in price compared to a car in florida or new york . 30k seems a bit off to me even with an accident. I also checked salvage yard sale records and a 2013 with similar miles sales for about 17-20k with damage .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by powahousealex View Post
Something that was not mentioned is about MMR(MANHEIM) is that there are fees involved and sometimes shipping,also price varies by region . a car in California can vary in price compared to a car in florida or new york . 30k seems a bit off to me even with an accident. I also checked salvage yard sale records and a 2013 with similar miles sales for about 17-20k with damage .
Yes, prices can vary based on region and condition. But MMR can be adjusted to compensate for that and reflect that. Usually those prices only vary by a few hundred dollars based on region. Obviously condition can affect it significantly, sometimes by many thousands of dollars.

The m6 though has depreciated significantly. They will plateau in the mid-twenties for a while. So some of the newer models with lower miles that are selling in the $50,000 range have still a tremendous amount of depreciation left. This is not surprising as many high-priced vehicles based on mass-produced platforms depreciate like a rock. Such is the case even with the 7 Series.
Appreciate 0