BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Dinan?

Thinking seriously about getting the Dinan Stage 1 kit for my 640 GC. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when you increase boost on these engines, you need to replace a part that carries the boost - one that BMW made from plastic? Anyone familiar with this? Also, any intelligence on the Dinan or other tune options would be more than welcome. I went first to Dinan because of their long relationship with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Mck444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Thinking seriously about getting the Dinan Stage 1 kit for my 640 GC. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when you increase boost on these engines, you need to replace a part that carries the boost - one that BMW made from plastic? Anyone familiar with this? Also, any intelligence on the Dinan or other tune options would be more than welcome. I went first to Dinan because of their long relationship with BMW.
That would be the chargepipe. The regular chargepipe is plastic and can be prone to breaking. People with the N55 often change their chargepipes to a sturdier one when increasing boost on their cars.

As for tunes Dinan offers less power for a much higher price than their competitors. For the N55 on your 640i, the most popular options would be Bootmod3 or MHD. I'd just go with one of those two options.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      11-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck444 View Post
That would be the chargepipe. The regular chargepipe is plastic and can be prone to breaking. People with the N55 often change their chargepipes to a sturdier one when increasing boost on their cars.

As for tunes Dinan offers less power for a much higher price than their competitors. For the N55 on your 640i, the most popular options would be Bootmod3 or MHD. I'd just go with one of those two options.
Thanks very much! I’ll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Dinan is way over priced for way underperformance. Get BM3 and a charge pipe and your golden.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3