BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
ingl0405
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Arrow [Resolved] 650i ticking from rear when coasting

Hi,

I have a 2012 650i which has developed a strange ticking in the rear end. I could compare it to how a bicycle sounds like when you are coasting.

Here's what I know:
- The ticking can be heard from outside the car. I spotted it driving with my windows down and being close to a curb/wall
- I can hear it up to about 60km/h, but could be that after that the wind noise gets louder than the tick;
- It only happens when the regenerative breaking comes on (the consumption meter goes all the way to the left and turns blue)
- If I am coasting and the consumption meter is in the red, no noise.
- There is no noise when breaking
- No noise when accelerating;
- No noise when I have the foot on the gas going a constant speed;
- I can't feel anything related to that in the steering wheel;
- the ticking noise is in direct relation to the speed of the car and is not random;
- It is not associated by any clunks or popping noises;

The car passed a BMW pre purchase inspection with this noise.

Has anyone here faced this before, and is it something I need to urgently fix, or can I still drive it for 1-2k kms before I put it to bed for the winter.
I have my rear brakes due early next year so I was hoping to do a diagnosis of this issue at the same time.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ingl0405; 10-20-2020 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Changed title to reflect that I was able to find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
joshuasingh32
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingl0405 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2012 650i which has developed a strange ticking in the rear end. I could compare it to how a bicycle sounds like when you are coasting.

Here's what I know:
- The ticking can be heard from outside the car. I spotted it driving with my windows down and being close to a curb/wall
- I can hear it up to about 60km/h, but could be that after that the wind noise gets louder than the tick;
- It only happens when the regenerative breaking comes on (the consumption meter goes all the way to the left and turns blue)
- the ticking noise is in direct relation to the speed of the car and is not random;

Has anyone here faced this before, and is it something I need to urgently fix, or can I still drive it for 1-2k kms before I put it to bed for the winter.
I have my rear brakes due early next year so I was hoping to do a diagnosis of this issue at the same time.

Thank you in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingl0405 View Post
Hi,

Here's what I know:

Thank you in advance!
I have the exact same issue with my car. Commenting for any insight or solution. Thanks
      10-11-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
Keysersoze819
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M

When I had a clicking in rear wheel it ended up being a bad wheel bearing.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
ingl0405
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Keysersoze819 usually wheel bearings will sound like a deep grind, this noise is more like a coasting bycycle (click click click or tick tick tick), and it can only be heard if you drive close to something that can bounce the sound back from the outside.

I took the car to the dealer and told them to go to town on it. It turns out it is a loose turbo wastegate flap.

At this point, there is no impact on performance yet, but in time it will result in a loss of performance. One possible fix they can do is to try and adjust the flap, so they quoted me approx 2k for it ($750 CAD per every time they have to take the turbo out, adjust and test drive to see if the noise is gone).

The SA advised me to leave it as is, but knowing myself I will try to find a way to adjust it myself or with some qualified help.

Here are some videos I found on the topic:

Same noise but way worse in the video. Guess that's what I have to look forward to if not addressed.
Appreciate 0