BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
mudpaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Gran Coupe

2015 640 GC Air Conditioning

Replaced my 10 yr old Audi S5 with a 2015 640i GC with 53350 miles about two months ago. The weather was warm enough last week to finally turn on my AC. When I did so, no cold air. Put a pressure gauge on the low pressure side and saw 0 PSI. I am taking it back to the dealer this week to have them look into the problem. I was curious if there are known issues with the AC that I should be concerned with or is this just one of those things.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Jibaro
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i GC, 2013 X3

Did you scroll the small wheel next to the unlock door button from the red square to blue for air conditioning?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

No known issues that I've heard of.
Your lines possibly got disconnected during a service, or damaged somehow.
Will be interested in getting that report. It is crazy because the A/C turns on in these cars regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
mudpaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
No known issues that I've heard of.
Your lines possibly got disconnected during a service, or damaged somehow.
Will be interested in getting that report. It is crazy because the A/C turns on in these cars regardless.
Leaking Schrader valve on the low pressure service port. The dealer found no leak. I located it using a black light...cleaned the dye with brake cleaner and checked again to verify.
Will take it back in next week to have them replace the valve and service the freon again.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

my 2015 640 gc had no ac when i bought it as well ended up being the a/c condensor needed changing
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Drove the car for the first time in a few months yesterday. It was 95 degrees out. The AC did not blow any cold air at all...all hot air. I did not hear any hissing noises or the condenser turning on. I haven't seen any leaking on the floor in the garage. The AC was working perfectly fine last summer and the car has been hardly driven since then.

Any thoughts? Condenser? Schrader valve? Blockage? Weeping or leaking? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaw View Post
Replaced my 10 yr old Audi S5 with a 2015 640i GC with 53350 miles about two months ago. The weather was warm enough last week to finally turn on my AC. When I did so, no cold air. Put a pressure gauge on the low pressure side and saw 0 PSI. I am taking it back to the dealer this week to have them look into the problem. I was curious if there are known issues with the AC that I should be concerned with or is this just one of those things.
I've had major ac issues with my 650 too over the years. Bad compressor, bad o rings, etc. all needed to be replaced. What's worse is my wife's 2019 x3 has been in twice already with ac issues too, same as always blows hot air. Bmw is dropping the ball on their ac setups. Their systems seem to leak coolant a lot or have qc issues.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
I've had major ac issues with my 650 too over the years. Bad compressor, bad o rings, etc. all needed to be replaced. What's worse is my wife's 2019 x3 has been in twice already with ac issues too, same as always blows hot air. Bmw is dropping the ball on their ac setups. Their systems seem to leak coolant a lot or have qc issues.
I've never had a/c issues with my BMW's until now. But it sounds like I was just overdue! I don't understand how it just doesn't work all of a sudden though. Didn't even drive the car for it to fail!

Mine is also a 650, even though the thread is for 640.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
I've never had a/c issues with my BMW's until now. But it sounds like I was just overdue! I don't understand how it just doesn't work all of a sudden though. Didn't even drive the car for it to fail!

Mine is also a 650, even though the thread is for 640.
I don't quite understand your 'overdue' comment. I have had MANY fords, gms, etc that have never needed any ac work including coolant replacement even after 10+ years. My 2010 sport trac adrenalin blows ice cold and hasn't been touched ever. My raptor and f350 were all the same too. I've owned 2 bmw and both ac systems suck. I've owned about 24 vehicles so far and never the issues.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
I don't quite understand your 'overdue' comment. I have had MANY fords, gms, etc that have never needed any ac work including coolant replacement even after 10+ years. My 2010 sport trac adrenalin blows ice cold and hasn't been touched ever. My raptor and f350 were all the same too. I've owned 2 bmw and both ac systems suck. I've owned about 24 vehicles so far and never the issues.
I've never had a/c issues with any car from any manufacturer...probably over 60 cars now. About a dozen were BMWs. From your comment, it sounds like BMWs have a/c issues so that's why I said I was overdue for an a/c issue.

I'll have the dealer check it out. I was hoping it would be a quick at home fix, like a fuse or something plugged. But it sounds like it could be the compressor or something bigger, which again makes no sense because I wasn't even driving the car! How the heck does a major component on a car go bad while it is not being driven?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
I've never had a/c issues with any car from any manufacturer...probably over 60 cars now. About a dozen were BMWs. From your comment, it sounds like BMWs have a/c issues so that's why I said I was overdue for an a/c issue.

I'll have the dealer check it out. I was hoping it would be a quick at home fix, like a fuse or something plugged. But it sounds like it could be the compressor or something bigger, which again makes no sense because I wasn't even driving the car! How the heck does a major component on a car go bad while it is not being driven?
Yep mine tended to go as well while parked over winter. I don't drive it. Let me know your findings.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3