BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #199
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11966
Rep
8,861
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
6 min per mile? You are moving!
Notice how I didn't qualify that




km
Appreciate 1
cotmfk880.00
      05-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #200
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11966
Rep
8,861
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

5:54 tonight. The only change of late is that instead of my hands swinging at my hips, I'm swinging at my nipples. Favors a shorter quicker step
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #201
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Nice times gents! I finished my first competitive 50k a few weeks ago. 3:43 finishing time and a 7:05 average pace. Pretty pumped!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #202
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11966
Rep
8,861
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Nice times gents! I finished my first competitive 50k a few weeks ago. 3:43 finishing time and a 7:05 average pace. Pretty pumped!
Other than sleep, I can't think of many things I'd like to do for 3+ hours straight
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #203
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
5685
Rep
11,648
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Started running exactly 1 year ago. Without being able to travel and hang out as much, I took some time to reflect on life in general and realized that first thing is first, I need to get in shape. I've lost about 20 lbs in the process.

First run was around 1.5 miles at like 15 min pace
I kept at it, and found that I really enjoyed it, especially when you can see yourself improving. Then in February, I started running with groups and found that even more fun. Last weekend, I ran my first official race (just 5k) and did a 24:28. Not only was it my PB, but it was also enough to place me 3rd in my age group.

So yea, considered me hooked. I absolutely love the camaraderie as well, there's nothing like it. Currently running 4 days a week, with an 8k race in mid June, and 10k on Labor Day weekend. Can't wait.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 2
cotmfk880.00
BOOF-M33877.00
      05-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #204
dc503
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Started running exactly 1 year ago. Without being able to travel and hang out as much, I took some time to reflect on life in general and realized that first thing is first, I need to get in shape. I've lost about 20 lbs in the process.

First run was around 1.5 miles at like 15 min pace
I kept at it, and found that I really enjoyed it, especially when you can see yourself improving. Then in February, I started running with groups and found that even more fun. Last weekend, I ran my first official race (just 5k) and did a 24:28. Not only was it my PB, but it was also enough to place me 3rd in my age group.

So yea, considered me hooked. I absolutely love the camaraderie as well, there's nothing like it. Currently running 4 days a week, with an 8k race in mid June, and 10k on Labor Day weekend. Can't wait.
Nice! Love hearing this stuff.
Appreciate 1
W///5685.00
      05-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #205
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
880
Rep
5,268
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Notice how I didn't qualify that




km

HAHA Well played!
__________________
Perma-banned on G80post for making a single joke about the buck teeth. After 12+ years on the site...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #206
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
880
Rep
5,268
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Started running exactly 1 year ago. Without being able to travel and hang out as much, I took some time to reflect on life in general and realized that first thing is first, I need to get in shape. I've lost about 20 lbs in the process.

First run was around 1.5 miles at like 15 min pace
I kept at it, and found that I really enjoyed it, especially when you can see yourself improving. Then in February, I started running with groups and found that even more fun. Last weekend, I ran my first official race (just 5k) and did a 24:28. Not only was it my PB, but it was also enough to place me 3rd in my age group.

So yea, considered me hooked. I absolutely love the camaraderie as well, there's nothing like it. Currently running 4 days a week, with an 8k race in mid June, and 10k on Labor Day weekend. Can't wait.
Congrats, that's awesome! Keep going!
__________________
Perma-banned on G80post for making a single joke about the buck teeth. After 12+ years on the site...
Appreciate 1
W///5685.00
      05-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #207
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

6 Hour Timed Ultra Event for me tomorrow! Excited and nervous at the same time. My goal is to hit 50 miles in 6 hours. That is my top end goal, gotta hold a 7:20 for all 50 miles to hit it though which is on the slow side for me so hope I can do it. Would still be happy around 45-48 miles though. Will update you all tomorrow night after I'm beat tired and half dead!
Appreciate 1
cotmfk880.00
      05-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #208
ScottSinger
Major General
2199
Rep
5,163
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
6 Hour Timed Ultra Event for me tomorrow! Excited and nervous at the same time. My goal is to hit 50 miles in 6 hours. That is my top end goal, gotta hold a 7:20 for all 50 miles to hit it though which is on the slow side for me so hope I can do it. Would still be happy around 45-48 miles though. Will update you all tomorrow night after I'm beat tired and half dead!
What will U carry on your (person) will u stash any food or drink or supplies on yourself ?

What foods will I eat and what food wonít u eat ?

Kick butt !
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #209
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What will U carry on your (person) will u stash any food or drink or supplies on yourself ?

What foods will I eat and what food wonít u eat ?

Kick butt !
I will take a 100 calorie Roctane Gel every 30 Minutes with 4-5 pro bolt gummies putting me right at about 250 calories per hour. I will take a salt tablet every 2 hours since the temperature is projected to be low. As far as fluid intake I will average roughly 12- 14 oz of water per hour that is diluted with an electrolyte tablet. Other than that that's really it, usually I like to throw a little coca cola in at the end as gels get old real quick. As far as what not to eat, you should avoid any hard to digest foods like proteins since your gut is essentially shut off while running. Your Body can only process 2-3 hundred calories per hour while your running so it needs to be carbs, sugars and salt to maintain your glycogen storage and be able to hit the bloodstream quickly. Thank for the support, hope all goes well with some rain projected in the forecast.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #210
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What will U carry on your (person) will u stash any food or drink or supplies on yourself ?

What foods will I eat and what food wonít u eat ?

Kick butt !
Well the race went well. Took 1st place, which I was happy with. Only came in at 44 miles in 6 hours so shorter than what I wanted. Mentally I had some lapses as I began to break down and missed some salt tablets. Average of 7:49 pace though which isn't bad with all the cramping and stomach issues.
Appreciate 4
cotmfk880.00
dc503106.50
UncleWede11966.00
W///5685.00
      05-22-2021, 10:58 PM   #211
ScottSinger
Major General
2199
Rep
5,163
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Well the race went well. Took 1st place, which I was happy with. Only came in at 44 miles in 6 hours so shorter than what I wanted. Mentally I had some lapses as I began to break down and missed some salt tablets. Average of 7:49 pace though which isn't bad with all the cramping and stomach issues.
that is crazy fast.

how many days will you take off (or will you) ?

How do you recover; foam rollers, massage, insatiable appetite ?

also, what were the conditions and what clothing brands do you wear ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #212
leopard print
Second Lieutenant
355
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Damn, this thread hurts to read. I love to run, or used to. Two severely ruptured discs last July prevent me from doing so up until now. Hoping I can get back into it in the next couple months. Gonna be a rough road getting back in shape though.
Appreciate 2
W///5685.00
Littlebear2606.00
      05-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #213
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
that is crazy fast.

how many days will you take off (or will you) ?

How do you recover; foam rollers, massage, insatiable appetite ?

also, what were the conditions and what clothing brands do you wear ?
I will take about 4 days off total, mostly walks to try and get the blood flow. No massage the first 24 hours as the pain is pretty severe after an event like this. Conditions were great as far as temperature, but random hours of rain made things tough. Lots of muddy sections that slowed me down. Iím a Saucony guy through and through. Appreciate the support.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #214
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
880
Rep
5,268
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Well the race went well. Took 1st place, which I was happy with. Only came in at 44 miles in 6 hours so shorter than what I wanted. Mentally I had some lapses as I began to break down and missed some salt tablets. Average of 7:49 pace though which isn't bad with all the cramping and stomach issues.
Congrats on the placing, that is awesome!

Also a distance I will never (purposely) run at once. Good for you!
__________________
Perma-banned on G80post for making a single joke about the buck teeth. After 12+ years on the site...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #215
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
880
Rep
5,268
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Damn, this thread hurts to read. I love to run, or used to. Two severely ruptured discs last July prevent me from doing so up until now. Hoping I can get back into it in the next couple months. Gonna be a rough road getting back in shape though.
That is rough - good luck with the recovery! A return to running can be done from such injuries, but you have to really want it.
__________________
Perma-banned on G80post for making a single joke about the buck teeth. After 12+ years on the site...
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #216
dc503
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Well the race went well. Took 1st place, which I was happy with. Only came in at 44 miles in 6 hours so shorter than what I wanted. Mentally I had some lapses as I began to break down and missed some salt tablets. Average of 7:49 pace though which isn't bad with all the cramping and stomach issues.
Congrats, that is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #217
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
5685
Rep
11,648
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Well the race went well. Took 1st place, which I was happy with. Only came in at 44 miles in 6 hours so shorter than what I wanted. Mentally I had some lapses as I began to break down and missed some salt tablets. Average of 7:49 pace though which isn't bad with all the cramping and stomach issues.
Absolutely ridiculous. You're essentially running my 5k pace over 6 hours.

Congrats!
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #218
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1380
Rep
994
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

So I've started running more frequently lately, and I just wanted to see what some would recommend for a regimen. Goal is to get my 5K time under 21mins. I ran a 22:30 5k on Saturday and that was with close to 750ft of elevation, so I think the 21min goal is definitely feasible. Once I hit that I may try for some longer runs like a half marathon, already fully confident I can do a 10k without many issues. Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #219
Dlpfcb
Captain
416
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
So I've started running more frequently lately, and I just wanted to see what some would recommend for a regimen. Goal is to get my 5K time under 21mins. I ran a 22:30 5k on Saturday and that was with close to 750ft of elevation, so I think the 21min goal is definitely feasible. Once I hit that I may try for some longer runs like a half marathon, already fully confident I can do a 10k without many issues. Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
I can definitely help you out with a training outline and plan. I have tons of experience in every distance and would be glad to help. Shot you a PM with my number.
Appreciate 2
JP101379.50
cotmfk880.00
      06-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #220
dc503
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
So I've started running more frequently lately, and I just wanted to see what some would recommend for a regimen. Goal is to get my 5K time under 21mins. I ran a 22:30 5k on Saturday and that was with close to 750ft of elevation, so I think the 21min goal is definitely feasible. Once I hit that I may try for some longer runs like a half marathon, already fully confident I can do a 10k without many issues. Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
I am not a coach, but I'm familiar with training cycles and periodization (more so as a race cyclist) though and have decent experience with running.
I will say this is an awesome attitude to have, but also dangerous when it comes to over training and fatigue/injury as you noted. I'm sure others can provide better targeted advice like Dlpfcb , but I'd say be weary of over training so that you don't lose quality in your workouts and plateau.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST