BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-11-2024, 04:37 AM   #1
vasideac
Rep
Drives: M6 Competition

Exhaust flap does not close

Hello friends.
Can you help me with a problem with the exhaust flaps? They are constantly open, on ISTA test they seem functional, they open/close but they always stay open and it's annoying.
Is there any coding where I can set them to only open in sport mode?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:24 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you’re not the original owner…have you checked the multiple ways some owners do to keep the flap open? Some unplug the wiring connector, and some use a golf tee to keep the flap open.

Just do a google search to see the many ways to keep the flap open…then check your car to see if that’s been done. If yes, then reverse what the previous owner did.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-11-2024 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:44 AM   #3
vasideac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you’re not the original owner…have you checked the multiple ways some owners do to keep the flap open? Some unplug the wiring connector, and some use a golf tee to keep the flap open.

Just do a google search to see the many ways to keep the flap open…then check your car to see if that’s been done. If yes, then reverse what the previous owner did.
Thank you for your quick answer!
Everything worked perfectly until I replaced the dme2.
I cloned the old dme to the new one, but something happened that the flaps always stay open.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:46 AM   #4
vasideac
Rep

Ps. Flaps operate via vacuum,are not electronic
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:50 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Apologies for any confusion. But not having any of your vehicle info other than M6 Competition...I didn't have much to go on when looking up information. There are two rear exhausts listed in the parts database. I simply (and obviously incorrectly) used my VIN to get info.

When I enter my VIN...I get this diagram which lists the electric exhaust flap:

There is another rear exhaust listed...but when I use my VIN...it is grayed out. This rear exhaust is listed as VACUUM control, exhaust flap...but the exhaust flap (#1 in the diagram) is also listed as electric valve even though it is connected to a vacuum hose (#3):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 03:57 PM   #6
vasideac
Rep

Quote:
Apologies for any confusion. But not having any of your vehicle info other than M6 Competition...I didn't have much to go on when looking up information. There are two rear exhausts listed in the parts database. I simply (and obviously incorrectly) used my VIN to get info.

When I enter my VIN...I get this diagram which lists the electric exhaust flap:

There is another rear exhaust listed...but when I use my VIN...it is grayed out. This rear exhaust is listed as VACUUM control, exhaust flap...but the exhaust flap (#1 in the diagram) is also listed as electric valve even though it is connected to a vacuum hose (#3):

Can you check my vin,
Please ? Maybe can you find something.
The car is with downpipes and is very very loud with the flaps always open.
WBS6C91040D385830
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:07 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasideac View Post
Can you check my vin,
Please ? Maybe can you find something.
The car is with downpipes and is very very loud with the flaps always open.
WBS6C91040D385830
Not sure if you saw this thread or not…but here’s a link to Flying Ace’s thread from 2017 about the exhaust flaps on his M6: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449002

And digging around using your VIN…the diagram for the vacuum controlled rear exhaust still has an electronic flap (see #1 in diagram below).

And when I pull up the wiring diagrams for the M6’s exhaust…there’s also an electronic exhaust flap in the trunk (see Y42 in the illustrations below). I’m not sure how it all works…but perhaps your down pipe install has affected one or both of these electronic devices that work with the exhaust system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 12:15 PM   #8
vasideac
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you saw this thread or not…but here’s a link to Flying Ace’s thread from 2017 about the exhaust flaps on his M6: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449002

And digging around using your VIN…the diagram for the vacuum controlled rear exhaust still has an electronic flap (see #1 in diagram below).

And when I pull up the wiring diagrams for the M6’s exhaust…there’s also an electronic exhaust flap in the trunk (see Y42 in the illustrations below). I’m not sure how it all works…but perhaps your down pipe install has affected one or both of these electronic devices that work with the exhaust system.
Yes, you are right! I will change the elect. valve, maybe it’s defect.
Ps. Can you check to see if there's a fuse somewhere for that valve?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:46 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasideac View Post
Ps. Can you check to see if there's a fuse somewhere for that valve?
The fuse for the elec changeover valve (that's located in the trunk) is circled in green in the wiring diagram (see F135) which is a 5 amp fuse according to the diagram.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:50 AM   #10
vasideac
Rep

Quote:
The fuse for the elec changeover valve (that's located in the trunk) is circled in green in the wiring diagram (see F135) which is a 5 amp fuse according to the diagram.

The fuse is ok, today I replaced the valve with a new one …. But the problem is the same. I can’t understand where is the problem. Coding data are ok…
Appreciate 0