BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #309
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Priceless

It will be fed back to his whiney ass for years to come.

Last edited by FrankMstein; 07-03-2023 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2023, 08:56 AM   #310
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Last weekend LEW showed his disrespect for the Austrian anthem
I highly doubt that Hamilton did that out of disrespect. Toto Wolff is an Austrian citizen (born in Vienna) and called the Austrian race his "home race". And Wolff also calls the shots about his future at Mercedes. IMHO no ill intentions by Hamilton, just a mere coincidence.
Autobacs1384.00
      07-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #311
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I highly doubt that Hamilton did that out of disrespect. Toto Wolff is an Austrian citizen (born in Vienna) and called the Austrian race his "home race". And Wolff also calls the shots about his future at Mercedes. IMHO no ill intentions by Hamilton, just a mere coincidence.
Well , as we know ...We know how LEW can be with his 'childish behavior .
It may be speculation on my part , but I'm pretty sure it was because of the 'Red Bull-ring .
In others words : The Austrian GP was actually Red Bulls home race at the Red Bull-ring .
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-03-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61216.50
      07-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #312
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

LEW's & Wolff's behavior at the 2021 Abu Dhabi GP

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61216.50
      07-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #313
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Priceless

Early on I was not a big fan of his. I think mostly because I've always been an Alonso fan and didn't like the whole conflict between the two of them.

As time went on I grew to respect his driving ability... When his fan base started with the whole greatest of all time with his WDC count growing I just started disliking him again (not anything to do with him and more his fan base, but none the less).

I understand that Vettel was blessed with a great car when he won WDC's in 2010-2013. As such it's not hard to understand it was the car. The other RB with Webber driving was third for a few of those years. Vettel didn't really do anything for the rest of his career. He had a chance in the Ferrari but gave it away due to errors. Some his and some due to the team....

Anyway, starting a new dominance in 2014 had Mercedes finishing 1st and 2nd. Same with 2015. And then again in 2016 but this time Rosberg finished in 1st and Hammy was in 2nd. 2017 put Hammy back in 1st with a middle of the pack driver (Bottas) taking the vacant seat after Nico left F1 finishing in third. 2018 was the year where you could make an argument that Hammy was showing it was his skill, and not the car, with both Ferrari and RB finishing between the two Mercedes drivers. 2019 and 2020 put both of the cars back in 1st and 2nd..... I just can not understand people not seeing the car was the star and any front runner would be able to win in the Mercedes. Hell, in 2022 they took another mid pack driver (Russel 15th) and he finished in 4th. Two positions ahead of Hammy. Not the car?????

Sorry, I got carried away.

Anyway we're watching the start of a new dominance with this generation RB. The difference is Max is indeed a better driver than Hammy is/was.

Back to the video. I, as well as so many people I discuss F1 with are SO tired of Hammy's politics and his whining on track. I personally think his time in F1 is over and he could do himself (and his legend) a solid if he left at the end of his contract.

Sorry I got off on rant.
Appreciate 4
      07-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #314
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

Constant ear wax ?
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #315
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Constant ear wax ?
Well, in the background Checo has his fingers in his ears too and in the thumbnail. LH - GOAT Top 8 or 10 maybe, but stats are like opinions, they changes with the times.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61216.50
      07-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #316
M5Rick
General
Rep

This is one reason I think Checo will remain at RBR for 2024 in spite of Monaco '22, you don't just forget these moments, it stays in the blood.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #317
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Well, in the background Checo has his fingers in his ears too and in the thumbnail. LH - GOAT Top 8 or 10 maybe, but stats are like opinions, they changes with the times.
Don't see Checo here
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61216.50
      07-03-2023, 11:21 AM   #318
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Even steely wolfy's patience is starting to be squeezed by LEW's non-stop yapping to get everyone that he can't pass out of the way and at the same time ignoring his own four wheels over the white line..
Feels like we have reached the tipping point in Toto/Hamilton relationship.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #319
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
While I agree in principle.... you do have drivers like Massa who was one turn from being a WDC without having to resort to the do everything to win type mindset.
While Massa is likable he isn't a world champion. It pays to be ruthless and fight for every point.
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #320
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

'Better than all the rest''
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #321
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Feels like we have reached the tipping point in Toto/Hamilton relationship.
It's obvious now that LEW is fighting his own demons with a hastily re-worked uncompetitive car that is a mish mash of many new parts which won't work well with a mismatched chassis.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #322
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
wow, Max really wanted to bone Perez for yesterday. Risking the race win just to stick it to him. #Boldmove
As soon as they broadcast the Red Bull onboard message "We don't feel the risk of boxing is worthwhile" in lap 69 + Verstappen replying straightaway to only need 24 seconds, I started to laugh and thought something along the lines "nah, that's just a bold message to entertain the audience - he's not gonna pit". Red Bull was on the brink of pocketing the Fastest Lap extra WCC point anyway via Perez. But as the Abu Dhabi 2021 race proved, with Verstappen you're never truly done till the race is really done and dusted.

Mutual trust and confidence between driver and his team (especially the pit crew) + convincing your team to allow you to take the risk (aware that Mercedes and Ferrari hope that you will fail and possibly even lose the race in extremis) + making that one-shot attempt (cold tires) after ± 80 minutes of intense racing + successfully pulling it off: that takes a big pair of balls, driving skills and a state of mind of being fully 'in the zone'.

Perfectly executed pit stop, 2s to 2.5s gap ahead of Leclerc after re-entering the track, putting heat into the tires, pushing flat-out all the way to the finish. A calculated risk, rather than a mere gamble.

That display of sheer determination and dominance is also quite intimidating for the rest of the field: "I don't need this point, but let me try grabbing it". IMHO if a Ferrari, Mercedes or Aston Martin driver would have been leading the Austrian race with less than 24 seconds with a pit window of ± 23 seconds, Fred Vasseur, Toto Wolff or Mike Krack would have never granted that ultimate pit stop, except maybe if Verstappen would have been driving one of their cars.

Verstappen may have started a new trend: if a race leader has a comfortable lead during the 5 final laps window (a calculated margin of, say, at least 10 seconds upon re-entry after an ultimate pitstop) he performs an ultimate pitstop to also grab the Fastest Lap point (or to improve the chance of keeping it if he already had it).

Name:  VER_ FL_Austria_2023.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  161.1 KB
      07-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #323
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
As soon as they broadcast the Red Bull onboard message "We don't feel the risk of boxing is worthwhile" in lap 69 + Verstappen replying straightaway to only need 24 seconds, I started to laugh and thought something along the lines "nah, that's just a bold message to entertain the audience - he's not gonna pit". Red Bull was on the brink of pocketing the Fastest Lap extra WCC point anyway via Perez. But as the Abu Dhabi 2021 race proved, with Verstappen you're never truly done till the race is really done and dusted.

Mutual trust and confidence between driver and his team (especially the pit crew) + convincing your team to allow you to take the risk (aware that Mercedes and Ferrari hope that you will fail and possibly even lose the race in extremis) + making that one-shot attempt (cold tires) after ± 80 minutes of intense racing + successfully pulling it off: that takes a big pair of balls, driving skills and a state of mind of being fully 'in the zone'.

Perfectly executed pit stop, 2s to 2.5s gap ahead of Leclerc after re-entering the track, putting heat into the tires, pushing flat-out all the way to the finish. A calculated risk, rather than a mere gamble.

That display of sheer determination and dominance is also quite intimidating for the rest of the field: "I don't need this point, but let me try grabbing it". IMHO if a Ferrari, Mercedes or Aston Martin driver would have been leading the Austrian race with less than 24 seconds with a pit window of ± 23 seconds, Fred Vasseur, Toto Wolff or Mike Krack would have never granted that ultimate pit stop, except maybe if Verstappen would have been driving one of their cars.

Verstappen may have started a new trend: if a race leader has a comfortable lead during the 5 final laps window (a calculated margin of, say, at least 10 seconds upon re-entry after an ultimate pitstop) he performs an ultimate pitstop to also grab the Fastest Lap point (or to improve the chance of keeping it if he already had it).

Attachment 3219851
You have to take into account RBR is very comfortably leading the World Championship with a dominant car (Perez from 15th to 3rd) with no indications that any team is even remotely close to challenging them in the next races. Max deserves his accolades but if RBR was in a tight fight with any other team in the Constructor's or Driver's championships, that would have given them pause to RECONSIDER going for one extra point. IMO They simply had much less to lose even in a worse case scenario so they were all about going for it.
Appreciate 1
Artemis29681.50
      07-03-2023, 03:34 PM   #324
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
An now we know?
Setup woes to blame for track limits violations - Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton says his track limits penalties in the Austrian Grand Prix were a result of a poor setup choice pre-race that hurt his car’s handling.

The seven-time world champion was the first of multiple drivers to pick up a penalty for exceeding track limits, going off four times in the final sector to pick up a five-second time penalty by lap 16 of the race. At the time Hamilton said his Mercedes wouldn’t turn and says it was due to the with a set-up choice that the team had locked in for the start of the race.
“We knew we had a really bad rear end here, so we took out a lot of front wing so that we could go long,” Hamilton said. “Massively under did it, and I was like almost full lock round the last two corners – Turn 10 was just sliding and I couldn’t do anything about it. Through the stops we then added a lot of wing and the car started to slowly come back to at least getting round and staying on the track.”
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:40 PM   #325
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
An now we know?
Setup woes to blame for track limits violations - Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton says his track limits penalties in the Austrian Grand Prix were a result of a poor setup choice pre-race that hurt his car’s handling.

The seven-time world champion was the first of multiple drivers to pick up a penalty for exceeding track limits, going off four times in the final sector to pick up a five-second time penalty by lap 16 of the race. At the time Hamilton said his Mercedes wouldn’t turn and says it was due to the with a set-up choice that the team had locked in for the start of the race.
“We knew we had a really bad rear end here, so we took out a lot of front wing so that we could go long,” Hamilton said. “Massively under did it, and I was like almost full lock round the last two corners – Turn 10 was just sliding and I couldn’t do anything about it. Through the stops we then added a lot of wing and the car started to slowly come back to at least getting round and staying on the track.”
He was complaining, as others did, about other drivers exceeding track limits and then saw them penalized, as he did himself. So it sounds like he figured out he would lose less time getting (gambling) his penalties than keeping the car within limits and losing position so kept on doing it. As many drivers there were who got penalized, you have many drivers as well who did not which assumes they were and did keep their cars within the track limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:07 PM   #326
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
IMHO
You have a humble side, uh? Who knew?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #327
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
you don't win in motor racing by taking turns and smiling at people wanting to get through, it's a trait of sporting winners unfortunately
Yes, high-stake competition attracts a certain type. It almost requires that type.

But F1 alone has plenty of contemporary examples to contradict that. Prost, Hill, Häkkinen, Button, Rosberg, and even Hamilton is more congenial. (A bloody crying baby, IMO.) Like Frank Williams said of Mansell, ‘great driver, but I wouldn’t have a beer with.’ And Prost of Senna, ‘he wanted to humiliate you’. (Or something like that.) Verstappen is doing his best to enter that club.

To be clear, If I owned a F1 team, I’d hire Verstappen. We’re here to win.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #328
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That display of sheer determination and dominance
Ah, the exuberance of having a car and team working like a Swiss timepiece. Which will last for at least another 2-3 years. Good for them. Then we know what happens. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Williams, and Redbull themselves have endless tales of the dry years.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 07:28 PM   #329
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Quote:
IMHO
You have a humble side, uh? Who knew?
"H" in "IMHO" usually stands for "humble", for some it stands for "honest", but it definitely does not stand for "hateful" or "heinous".

It is what it is, but it will become what you make of it. However, you shall refrain from becoming ad hominem. And IMHO you properly understand the meaning of this.
M5Rick61216.50
      07-03-2023, 08:02 PM   #330
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
....However, you shall refrain from becoming ad hominem. And IMHO you properly understand the meaning of this.
I had to look it up
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61216.50