BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-04-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Exclamation Active Steering + DSC not working

Hi

We got hit with some heavy rain a few weeks ago and when I was returning back home from work during a storm everything was fine until I took one bend and the left side of my car went into a deep'ish puddle, car slipped a bit felt through my steering wheel but nothing dramatic, and then a warning came on saying increased steering effort drive moderately.

Steering still feels fine, I have power steering, but I noticed I have to do more rotations to U-turn and it's less stable on bumps. So I think I have lost active steering. I also can't switch driving modes I only have Comfort mode, and the DSC light is permanently on.

I thought maybe it was some water in the steering box plugs and would dry off the next day but the error was still there. Took it to a garage and he took off all the plugs and dried them, no change. Tried recalibrating the active steering on ISTA, but it always fails at the end.

I thought maybe it's the sensor on the active steering servomotor, so I swapped out the active steering sensor + servomotor, tried ISTA again but still got the error.. I'm starting to think maybe it's the Active Steering Control Unit under the driver seat carpet.

Has anyone faced this problem before? With active steering and DSC going at the same time? Is there a way to test the active steering module or the cables/plugs going into the control unit with a multimeter? I want some way of being sure before buying a replacement since it's quite expensive..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:53 AM   #2
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Bump!

Also - I read I might have to reprogram the donor control unit with my VIN number? Is this possible with ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 03:46 AM   #3
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

It sucks that I didn't get any replies here. But anyway, to whoever might face the problem, I figured it out. After switching out the active steering module under the seat and still not resolving the problem it turned out to be the below.

The connector plug between the active steering and the active steering control module was unplugged...

I thought this was a single harness from the module to the active steering but wiring diagram showed a plug adapter behind the wheel arch, and it somehow got unplugged
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Great that you shared the solution. It's a small community and every little helps!
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for coming back to update your thread. You’ve given the forum some very good information. Unfortunately, you probably didn’t get any help because the forum members that actually reply to posts probably had nothing to offer.

Sometimes we are trailblazers…being the first to experience an issue…and may have to navigate the experience alone. But by sharing your journey…you leave information for others that may find themselves in the same situation. And it also gives those of us reading your posts a place to send others if they have the same issue in the future.

Again, much appreciation for updating this thread instead of abandoning it…and good to hear that you got the issue resolved.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 3
rorz1218.50
JBF650115.50
      12-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #6
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz12 View Post
It sucks that I didn't get any replies here. But anyway, to whoever might face the problem, I figured it out. After switching out the active steering module under the seat and still not resolving the problem it turned out to be the below.

The connector plug between the active steering and the active steering control module was unplugged...

I thought this was a single harness from the module to the active steering but wiring diagram showed a plug adapter behind the wheel arch, and it somehow got unplugged
Excellent find. Thank you for sharing the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:43 AM   #7
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
Great that you shared the solution. It's a small community and every little helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Thanks for coming back to update your thread. You’ve given the forum some very good information. Unfortunately, you probably didn’t get any help because the forum members that actually reply to posts probably had nothing to offer.

Sometimes we are trailblazers…being the first to experience an issue…and may have to navigate the experience alone. But by sharing your journey…you leave information for others that may find themselves in the same situation. And it also gives those of us reading your posts a place to send others if they have the same issue in the future.

Again, much appreciation for updating this thread instead of abandoning it…and good to hear that you got the issue resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
Excellent find. Thank you for sharing the outcome.
Thanks! It feels good to have the car back functioning normally after 1 month of that annoying steering warning and only having comfort mode..
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50