BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #2443
3.0L
Colonel
3.0L's Avatar
United_States
1797
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

My "Way back" machine is working overtime at the moment. Here's another one.

When we were kids, dad would occasionally electrocute hot dogs at the dinner table. He made the device in high school. It was simply 2 spikes sticking up through a piece pine with an AC cord and a switch. He would stick on 3 or 4 hot dogs and flip the switch. Nothing much happened for a minute or so. Steam would start coming out of the holes in the hot dogs, followed by the hot dogs swelling up. It was really fun to watch.

As to safety, dad simply told us not to touch the spikes. And we didn't.

Imagine that today.
__________________
///M235i | Mineral Grey Metallic | Premium Package | Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dakota Coral Red/Black Leather | Harman/Kardon Premium 360 watt sound system | 8-speed automatic

I have a joke about time travel, but I'm not gonna share it. You guys didn't like it.
Appreciate 1
wdb2690.50

      Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #2444
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
10125
Rep
1,760
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post

Imagine that today.
I can only picture internet challenges that would require the spikes to be inserted in (pick an orifice(s) of your choice)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We're Americans. Leave your logic and science witchcraft out of this! Jesus and guns are all we need.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #2445
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11306
Rep
8,813
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Steam would start coming out of the holes in the hot dogs, followed by the hot dogs swelling up. It was really fun to watch.
Seems your dad didn't read you Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, where the potato tossed into the coals exploded and burned Almonzo's eye.
Appreciate 1
vreihen163845.50

      Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #2446
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
8075
Rep
3,135
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

You know your old when your 25 year old co-worker is demonstrating the new project management and communication process he's developed that involves MS Teams, Project, Sharepoint, and Smartsheet all integrating seamlessly across all 4 platforms to create a totally decentralized mesh of bullshit and you think to yourself "what's wrong with a good old fashioned email?" Awesome that you can update the project charter in Smartsheet that will automatically update the project plan in MS Planner which updates the SharePoint site and simultaneously logs a chat item in the Teams channel which can then be configured to alert me with an e-mail......Or, you could just send me a fucking e-mail in the first place.
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go6105.50
vreihen163845.50
TiMSport2591.00

      Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #2447
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
10125
Rep
1,760
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
You know your old when your 25 year old co-worker is demonstrating the new project management and communication process he's developed that involves MS Teams, Project, Sharepoint, and Smartsheet all integrating seamlessly across all 4 platforms to create a totally decentralized mesh of bullshit and you think to yourself "what's wrong with a good old fashioned email?" Awesome that you can update the project charter in Smartsheet that will automatically update the project plan in MS Planner which updates the SharePoint site and simultaneously logs a chat item in the Teams channel which can then be configured to alert me with an e-mail......Or, you could just send me a fucking e-mail in the first place.
David, a common sense approach to business just means that you are in fact old.

In the past two years we have spent 10's of dollars (I'm kidding, I want to type millions but I don't know this to be true) in standardizing our business practices. We now pay a third party company to handle our accounts payable/receivable but only because the individuals who we had handling this before couldn't do it. After years of complaining, the deciding factor was the day that everyone showed up to work, at our corporate office, to the electricity and phone being shut off, due to non-payment. Yep, 200 year old company and our corporate office forgot to pay their own utility bills.

This ultimately resulted in restructuring. Now when we screw something up, or not, it takes twice as long to get it resolved as it did before. Plus, since we are paying a third party to handle this, we don't actually know anyone to contact directly, it's ALL email. COVID has only exacerbated the entire situation as now AP/AR now all work from home and only work after 9:00 pm. I send an email today, during business hours, I'll get a reply sometime between 9:00 & midnight, then I can't reply until tomorrow. We have made business as inefficient as possible.

I too am old according to this mentality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We're Americans. Leave your logic and science witchcraft out of this! Jesus and guns are all we need.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #2448
3.0L
Colonel
3.0L's Avatar
United_States
1797
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Seems your dad didn't read you Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, where the potato tossed into the coals exploded and burned Almonzo's eye.
Dad wasn't much inclined to let other folks tell him what he should or shouldn't do.

Having said that, the hot dogs never exploded.
__________________
///M235i | Mineral Grey Metallic | Premium Package | Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dakota Coral Red/Black Leather | Harman/Kardon Premium 360 watt sound system | 8-speed automatic

I have a joke about time travel, but I'm not gonna share it. You guys didn't like it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #2449
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
10125
Rep
1,760
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Seems your dad didn't read you Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, where the potato tossed into the coals exploded and burned Almonzo's eye.
I'll go on record and state that my father never read anything to me; aside from my report card moments before the beatings commenced. He was the type of dad that if he had this knowledge, rather than taking the time to read the book to me, we would have been perfecting the heat/time ratio involved in achieving said flash point for detonation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We're Americans. Leave your logic and science witchcraft out of this! Jesus and guns are all we need.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #2450
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
8075
Rep
3,135
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
David, a common sense approach to business just means that you are in fact old.

In the past two years we have spent 10's of dollars (I'm kidding, I want to type millions but I don't know this to be true) in standardizing our business practices. We now pay a third party company to handle our accounts payable/receivable but only because the individuals who we had handling this before couldn't do it. After years of complaining, the deciding factor was the day that everyone showed up to work, at our corporate office, to the electricity and phone being shut off, due to non-payment. Yep, 200 year old company and our corporate office forgot to pay their own utility bills.

This ultimately resulted in restructuring. Now when we screw something up, or not, it takes twice as long to get it resolved as it did before. Plus, since we are paying a third party to handle this, we don't actually know anyone to contact directly, it's ALL email. COVID has only exacerbated the entire situation as now AP/AR now all work from home and only work after 9:00 pm. I send an email today, during business hours, I'll get a reply sometime between 9:00 & midnight, then I can't reply until tomorrow. We have made business as inefficient as possible.

I too am old according to this mentality.
Oh man, sounds like my company. Every department EXCEPT Accounting had to pony up staff for layoff at the beginning of all this. Yet, somehow, inexplicably, our accounting team is so far behind they cant manage to pay invoices on time. Suppliers who I have spent years forming relationships with of course pick up the phone and call me to solve it. it's a nightmare. I dont have time for that shit. I'm too busy trying to figure out how to update a project charter to automatically notify my team via an automated Teams chat by way of a Sharepoint site that the customers requirements have changed.

I'm too old for this shit. Can I retire at 46? I hear there are some nice 2nd world countries out there where expats can live like royalty on $20k a year. You just gotta be cool with poisonous spiders and the stomach flu.
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go6105.50
King Rudi10125.00
vreihen163845.50

      Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #2451
vreihen16
Captain
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
3846
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Plus, since we are paying a third party to handle this, we don't actually know anyone to contact directly, it's ALL email. COVID has only exacerbated the entire situation as now AP/AR now all work from home and only work after 9:00 pm. I send an email today, during business hours, I'll get a reply sometime between 9:00 & midnight, then I can't reply until tomorrow.
It certainly sounds like your company outsourced AP/AR to India! Time delay, no phone numbers to mask the accents, working remote.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 20K miles
Appreciate 1
King Rudi10125.00

      Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #2452
TKDbilly
Private (and reserved, existential)
TKDbilly's Avatar
805
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M40i; 2001 Z3
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Evergreen, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Z3  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Now I can really use this idea ...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
3.0L1797.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST