10-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #23
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Another product I use with great success is Optimum Leather Protectant.
It cleans, restores and protects all in one. It doesn't leave a greasy look either.
I recently bought the BMW leather treatment from the dealer. But I haven’t tried it yet. Maybe this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #24
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Olive oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #25
BatmanShinobi
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650ix Gran Coupe

Garage List
2006 BMW M6  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 650ix Gran ...  [0.00]
I recently purchased Leather Honey cleaner and conditioner. It was rated pretty high on a couple of surveys I read. Has any one heard of it or used it?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:12 AM   #26
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

pears soap,,google it
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
pears soap,,google it
I had not heard of this before but I did Google it and now I'm going to get some. Not many stores in the US stock it, but I see that certain Bed Bath & Beyond stores do. What I can say for certain is that there is a huge difference in the effectiveness of dedicated leather cleaners. I think they try to make them so mild that they are nearly useless. Lexol cleaner is particularly useless. Lexol will not take the shine off a steering wheel and restore the matte finish. Other products, like Blue Magic, will, but only to some degree. And ivory leather is always brighter white in the nooks and crannies that your body does not touch. Commercial leather cleaners make no difference on that. I know Ivory soap will work, but its is a bit drying and harsh. So I am going to pick up some Pears today. I will report back on the results.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #28
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

The detail guys at my BMW dealership uses the cheap stuff from the local Auto Zone-they told me.
I have been using Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner since my college days-I have always been pleased with the results.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      05-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #29
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I had not heard of this before but I did Google it and now I'm going to get some. Not many stores in the US stock it, but I see that certain Bed Bath & Beyond stores do. What I can say for certain is that there is a huge difference in the effectiveness of dedicated leather cleaners. I think they try to make them so mild that they are nearly useless. Lexol cleaner is particularly useless. Lexol will not take the shine off a steering wheel and restore the matte finish. Other products, like Blue Magic, will, but only to some degree. And ivory leather is always brighter white in the nooks and crannies that your body does not touch. Commercial leather cleaners make no difference on that. I know Ivory soap will work, but its is a bit drying and harsh. So I am going to pick up some Pears today. I will report back on the results.
yeh i think it's a british soap mainly,but plenty reviews on it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #30
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Every high-end car forum has long threads on what the best leather conditioner is, and people jump in with their favorite product. When I owned a Mercedes I was looking at a thread on that subject when somebody said (paraphrasing) "Guys, modern car leathers are finished with a waterproof finish - basically paint - so none of the these products do anything at all because they cannot penetrate into the leather fibers." I thought "hmm, that actually makes sense." It turns out that is true. Even leather industry websites say that. Same for your finished sofa. If you put a drop of water on our seats on the sections that are not perforated it just sits there. It does not soak in at all, so neither does a conditioner. It may do something on the perforated sections, but not anywhere else. A conditioner looks good for a bit because you are smearing shiny oil on top of the paint that gives it a temporary "glow", but it's not actually doing anything. And the "leather" on the dash, center console, steering wheel, and door tops is not really leather at all. It is what is called "bonded leather", which is some small percentage of ground up leather scraps mixed with other stuff and binders and pressed onto a cloth backing. A conditioner will do nothing there. Just put a UV protectant on it, like 303 protectant, and it will be fine.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 11:19 PM   #31
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Every high-end car forum has long threads on what the best leather conditioner is, and people jump in with their favorite product. When I owned a Mercedes I was looking at a thread on that subject when somebody said (paraphrasing) "Guys, modern car leathers are finished with a waterproof finish - basically paint - so none of the these products do anything at all because they cannot penetrate into the leather fibers." I thought "hmm, that actually makes sense." It turns out that is true. Even leather industry websites say that. Same for your finished sofa. If you put a drop of water on our seats on the sections that are not perforated it just sits there. It does not soak in at all, so neither does a conditioner. It may do something on the perforated sections, but not anywhere else. A conditioner looks good for a bit because you are smearing shiny oil on top of the paint that gives it a temporary "glow", but it's not actually doing anything. And the "leather" on the dash, center console, steering wheel, and door tops is not really leather at all. It is what is called "bonded leather", which is some small percentage of ground up leather scraps mixed with other stuff and binders and pressed onto a cloth backing. A conditioner will do nothing there. Just put a UV protectant on it, like 303 protectant, and it will be fine.
it still gets dirty,thats why the soap is used
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #32
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
it still gets dirty,thats why the soap is used
Agreed. I keep my car interior clean.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #33
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I bought an sold a few dozen 1970 - 1979 Cadillacs. I would hunt them down in places like Newport Beach and buy them usually for a song from relatives who didn’t want grandma’s old road boat anymore. They usually just needed to be washed and waxed and tuned up (with points!) and I would make a good profit when I sold them.

The point is: An old Cadillac had a LEATHER interior. What looked and felt like leather wasn’t a composite, it was thick luxurious leather that really held up to the test of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #34
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Back in the late 80s/early 90s I bought an sold a few dozen 1970 - 1979 Cadillacs. I would hunt them down in places like Newport Beach and buy them usually for a song from relatives who didn’t want grandma’s old road boat anymore. They usually just needed to be washed and waxed and tuned up (with points!) and I would make a good profit when I sold them.

The point is: An old Cadillac had a LEATHER interior. What looked and felt like leather wasn’t a composite, it was thick luxurious leather that really held up to the test of time.
I don't think Cadillacs of that era had leather anywhere but the seating surfaces and armrest tops. The seat sides were vinyl, as was the dash, doors, headrests, etc. Not sure about a 640, but a 650 has more real leather than a Cadillac from back then because the seat sides and headrests are leather. The funny thing about car leather from that era is how shiny the finish was. I had a '61 Lincoln convertible with green leather that was not only shiny, but had real fine metal flake in it.
Appreciate 0