BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Daimler has no plans for next generation IC engines

Auto Motor und Sport interview of Daimler’s Markus Schaefer suggests no plans for new combustion engine development. Google can find the links.

There is some vagueness because new “parts” could be developed for existing engines. Just no new engine platforms in the works at this time.

What does the BMW community think about this? Big news or no news, or something in between?

BMW and Porsche also have well-publicized electric powertrain activities. Are petroleum burning engines really going away? What does it mean for maintenance and repair support of IC engines? What does it mean for the market for older (classic) IC engined vehicles, mainly as it relates to parts availability?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

battery powered stuff seems so disposable. I'm still not convinced lithium battery power is the long term future.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Start hoarding your IC parts now before people panic in the years to come lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
battery powered stuff seems so disposable. I'm still not convinced lithium battery power is the long term future.
Hmm, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I could show you some amazing IC engine graveyards in the rural arctic filled with snowmachines and other contraptions, stuff that is just left to rot. In these places, they just buy a new one every few years or move on and never do anything to clean up their crap. Now, there are huge fields of these things. Does it really matter what kind of engine they have? Other issues will likely be at least as limiting, like availability of parts and so on.
      09-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I suspect BMW is the same they just haven't announced it.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I could show you some amazing IC engine graveyards in the rural arctic filled with snowmachines ...
Even the snowmobiles are going electric
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

I believe they are just a bit on hold. First of all there are plenty of places in the world where they are not as strict with the emissions as Europe and US. Secondly the latest IC engines have next to zero NOX emissions: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-new-research - meaning they have almost reached the limit. Thirdly e-fuels are coming in larger scales in the future. With e-fuels you turn any ICE car into a climate friendly C02 neutral car. Even Formula 1 is going for e-fuels in a couple of years. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/07/carb...-gasoline.html

So in a few years we can drive our ICE cars as we always have done without thinking about pollution. I also believe that is why Audi has decided for diesels in all future S-versions.