BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Tire decision - PS4S best for New England weather?

Old tires that came with the vehicle are smoked after 28k miles, which I was aware of when purchasing this February.

I have a quote for the PS4S which I know people love. Is there any other tires I should look at? We live in New England so there will be some rain and cold driving (never in snow). Also, car is and will be stock and i do not track.

Just making sure I am making right choice.

P.S. embarrassing to admit, but just today found out Ms dont have run flats!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

They are great tires, but you will need a winter set.

If you don't want to do that, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a great all season non-runflat tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
They are great tires, but you will need a winter set.

If you don't want to do that, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a great all season non-runflat tire.
I dont see those fitting the 20s comp wheels in viewing the website...

For clarification, if i dont plan to drive it through snow ice etc, why do i need a winter set? I am not opposed to something more all season, but its driven 2/3x per week as is
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
I dont see those fitting the 20s comp wheels in viewing the website...

For clarification, if i dont plan to drive it through snow ice etc, why do i need a winter set? I am not opposed to something more all season, but its driven 2/3x per week as is
Summer tires should not be driven below 45 degrees...definitely not below 40. They don't stick. They are like hockey pucks. So it's not just the snow. If you plan on driving it only above 45 degrees, that's fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
The only other option apparently worth consider is the new Goodyear... I haven’t tried personally - love the MP4S, best tyre I have ever had for street use - but some comparison tests have been quite encouraging. But honestly, you won’t go wrong with MP4S!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:23 AM   #6
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
The only other option apparently worth consider is the new Goodyear... I haven't tried personally - love the MP4S, best tyre I have ever had for street use - but some comparison tests have been quite encouraging. But honestly, you won't go wrong with MP4S!
Which goodyear? The eagle f1? i have had success with them in the past!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

I haven't had much good luck with Goodyears.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #8
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Which goodyear? The eagle f1? i have had success with them in the past!
Eagle F1 Supercar 3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Anyone looked into the falken fk510? My tire shop recommended these and the price is 1k installed. Not about the money in the end, just curious in feedback...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Anyone looked into the falken fk510? My tire shop recommended these and the price is 1k installed. Not about the money in the end, just curious in feedback...
I think your tire shop receives incentives from Falken 😇 LOL

Usually they don’t really compete in the super premium tyre category... Based on recent tests I have seen, appears only Michelin, Goodyear (Supercar 3) and Continental are in the same league, then there is a reasonable gap to the next category... Our cars with rear wheel drive and pretty significant amount of power and torque deserve only the best, hence I don’t think there is a real contender for MP4S...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Quote:
I think your tire shop receives incentives from Falken 😇 LOL

Usually they don’t really compete in the super premium tyre category... Based on recent tests I have seen, appears only Michelin, Goodyear (Supercar 3) and Continental are in the same league, then there is a reasonable gap to the next category... Our cars with rear wheel drive and pretty significant amount of power and torque deserve only the best, hence I don’t think there is a real contender for MP4S...
Funny you say that... thought the same thing. But reviews are very strong. Remember, i dont track, drive it 3x per week mostly city with some highway (smallest state in the US), highway driving is 10 miles each way with traffic - haha!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Tires and brakes are the most important part of the car. So the real question is, when you really need those tires (slippery conditions, rain, light snow, cold, hard braking, etc), will they come through for you? A few feet is the difference between no accident and a serious accident.

I know how I answer that question, but it's your money and your risk. How will you answer that question? Your answer will dictate what tires you buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Tires and brakes are the most important part of the car. So the real question is, when you really need those tires (slippery conditions, rain, light snow, cold, hard braking, etc), will they come through for you? A few feet is the difference between no accident and a serious accident.

I know how I answer that question, but it's your money and your risk. How will you answer that question? Your answer will dictate what tires you buy.
Fair. But lets not assume on risking my life and that of my family if i choose something besides mp4s. Part of the reason those are great is their performance for a high HP vehicle - cornering, eliminating the tires spinning on 2nd etc. there are many folks on the bmw forum (m3s included) that are using falkens and very happy. Likely i will go with the mp4s regardless but the roads here are awful, potholes everywhere, and traffic. I can barely find enough open road to go 75!

Appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Fair. But lets not assume on risking my life and that of my family if i choose something besides mp4s. Part of the reason those are great is their performance for a high HP vehicle - cornering, eliminating the tires spinning on 2nd etc. there are many folks on the bmw forum (m3s included) that are using falkens and very happy. Likely i will go with the mp4s regardless but the roads here are awful, potholes everywhere, and traffic. I can barely find enough open road to go 75!

Appreciate the feedback!
Agree that MP4S are not the only good tire out there. I just am very wary of tires that I don't have independent, verifiable experience/reviews. Chinese tires are out of the question for me. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese tires either (Falken, Yokohama, Sumitomo, etc). I've rarely had good experience with Goodyear. Good with Bridgestone winters, not all else. Good with Michelin AS 3+ and Conti DWS 06 (only all seasons I would use). Good with the MP4s, PSS, DW for summers. Good to average with Pirelli PZero Corsa.

Anyway, I could keep going. Bottom line is look at the reviews from many sources and see how did they review the tires. When in doubt, skip the tire. If you are literally buying a tire for "Sunday Strolling" type of driving in normal weather, the Falkens may be just fine.
Appreciate 0