BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Increase Turbo Sound

Okay, I recently picked up a 2014 M6 Gran Coupe with the Competition package. I told myself I was going to leave it alone but... well... its me.... and I can't leave anything alone.

So... my buddy had an M5 that sounded really good. He had tune, MSR Intake, catless DPs and eisenmann race exhaust. He was also pushing around 700hp

Im not looking for a ton of power, Im looking for more sound. MSR intake sound was amazing with the DPs. This was a few years ago and I see a lot of options out there.

Is MSR worth the money or is there comparable versions that will do the same for less money. BMS is similar style for less but I don't know much about them.

Similar question about catless DPs.... I see DPs for $300 all the way up to $2000. I can't imagine there is a huge difference between them all since fitment is pretty specific. Is there a good set for a reasonable price out there.

With DPs I would need a tune also right? to remove the O2 fault code right?

As for exhaust... if I do change out the exhaust, who has the best exotic sounding set up. I don't want an obnoxiously loud and raspy sound.... hell.... maybe I do. haha.

Well.... then you all for any info you can provide. Im looking forward to getting back into BMW life and contributing to the forum.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

I've got a few mods that I'm going to be installing in the next month..

For intake I ended up just buying the aFe magnum pro dry filters to replace the OEM ones and will be removing the charcoal filter. I personally don't like the cheaper cold air intakes on the market as they make the engine bay look a little cheesy.

For DP's, I did a fair amount of research and settled on Fabworx downpipes. You can message them on Facebook and see if they have any deals. The quality of welding is amazing. I can't comment on the fitment yet. I had them Cerakoted at a local shop to help manage heat. Most say that it isn't required but I'd recommend getting a high temp coating. It's an inexpensive peace of mind.

You don't need a tune but it would be beneficial if you did. Plus running around with a check engine light is annoying. I currently have the Bootmod3 stage 1 and definitely recommend it.

I'm staying with my competition package exhaust with valves open and downpipes it should sound perfect.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
Okay, I recently picked up a 2014 M6 Gran Coupe with the Competition package. I told myself I was going to leave it alone but... well... its me.... and I can't leave anything alone.

So... my buddy had an M5 that sounded really good. He had tune, MSR Intake, catless DPs and eisenmann race exhaust. He was also pushing around 700hp

Im not looking for a ton of power, Im looking for more sound. MSR intake sound was amazing with the DPs. This was a few years ago and I see a lot of options out there.

Is MSR worth the money or is there comparable versions that will do the same for less money. BMS is similar style for less but I don't know much about them.

Similar question about catless DPs.... I see DPs for $300 all the way up to $2000. I can't imagine there is a huge difference between them all since fitment is pretty specific. Is there a good set for a reasonable price out there.

As for exhaust... if I do change out the exhaust, who has the best exotic sounding set up. I don't want an obnoxiously loud and raspy sound.... hell.... maybe I do. haha.

Well.... then you all for any info you can provide. Im looking forward to getting back into BMW life and contributing to the forum.

I have XS-Power Catless downpipes and a FI exhaust and love the constant turbo whistle I get. I do not have intakes and I don't think I will notice them anyways though because all I can hear is turbo whistle from my exhaust. I wrote a review with some sound clips if you are interested in it on these forums as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Newimage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6

Quote:

I just did AFE intake, jb4 stage 2 tune and full meisterschaft exhaust to include downpipes.
It literally sounds like a fighter jet with the turbos spinning! Quite intoxicating but costly!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
imsikxi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 M6

Quote:

I'm rocking RK Carbon Fiber intakes which sound amazing. They're a little less expensive than the MSRs, but side by side, the MSR's air suction sound is louder (but it is also $300-400 more expensive). Those would be my two options for intakes.

Exhausts, Eisenmann or Meisterschaft GTHaus. Those would give you the exotic exhaust sound you're looking for, but comes at a price. Can't go wrong with Akra either but again, costly.

Regarding catless downpipes, they're all just hallow pipes. Some come coated, some don't. Additionally, you're really paying for brand name and fitment. Instead of experimenting with the lower costing catless DPs (ie: i've heard fitment issues with VRSF, but that's not saying they all have fitment issues), I initially went with AMS catted downpipes. Sold those and decided to go catless. A buddy of mine was selling his Meisterschaft catless downpipes. They've been good to me. I would recommend Meisterschaft or Evolution Racewerks. They're on the pricier side but I have never heard of any fitment issues or issues in general. Sometimes you have to pay the price for less problems?

Once you go catless DPs, it will definitely throw code. In order to remove said code, you'd probably want to get a tune. I am currently running BM3 and have not had any issues.

I've practically done everything you can think of to this car with the exception of engine build from bottom up, so if you have any further questions, let me know.

I have some old video and sound clips of the car with my catted dps if you'd like to check them out.

https://www.instagram.com/imsikxi

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikxi View Post
I'm rocking RK Carbon Fiber intakes which sound amazing. They're a little less expensive than the MSRs, but side by side, the MSR's air suction sound is louder (but it is also $300-400 more expensive). Those would be my two options for intakes.

Exhausts, Eisenmann or Meisterschaft GTHaus. Those would give you the exotic exhaust sound you're looking for, but comes at a price. Can't go wrong with Akra either but again, costly.

Regarding catless downpipes, they're all just hallow pipes. Some come coated, some don't. Additionally, you're really paying for brand name and fitment. Instead of experimenting with the lower costing catless DPs (ie: i've heard fitment issues with VRSF, but that's not saying they all have fitment issues), I initially went with AMS catted downpipes. Sold those and decided to go catless. A buddy of mine was selling his Meisterschaft catless downpipes. They've been good to me. I would recommend Meisterschaft or Evolution Racewerks. They're on the pricier side but I have never heard of any fitment issues or issues in general. Sometimes you have to pay the price for less problems?

Once you go catless DPs, it will definitely throw code. In order to remove said code, you'd probably want to get a tune. I am currently running BM3 and have not had any issues.

I've practically done everything you can think of to this car with the exception of engine build from bottom up, so if you have any further questions, let me know.

I have some old video and sound clips of the car with my catted dps if you'd like to check them out.

https://www.instagram.com/imsikxi

Hope this helps.
I checked out your instagram your car came out really nice very tasteful!
I’m running Meistershaft GTC full exhaust, AMS Catless DPs, and RK Autowerks Carbon intake with K&N filters with prefilters , going in next week to DME tuning to change and gap my plugs plus stage 3 tune car sounds absolutely crazy getting a lot of compliments, thumbs up, and a Shaka lol !

Can I ask you were you got the obsessed sticker on your front diffuser I likely ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
imsikxi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I checked out your instagram your car came out really nice very tasteful!
I’m running Meistershaft GTC full exhaust, AMS Catless DPs, and RK Autowerks Carbon intake with K&N filters with prefilters , going in next week to DME tuning to change and gap my plugs plus stage 3 tune car sounds absolutely crazy getting a lot of compliments, thumbs up, and a Shaka lol !

Can I ask you were you got the obsessed sticker on your front diffuser I likely ? Thanks
Really appreciate it! Looks like you're in for a treat soon! Haha DME and stage 3 tune? Did you upgrade your clutch, replace your rod bearings?

Obsessed is my friend's label.

You can check out his store at:

https://obsessedstore.com/

IG: @obsessedus
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikxi View Post
Really appreciate it! Looks like you're in for a treat soon! Haha DME and stage 3 tune? Did you upgrade your clutch, replace your rod bearings?

Obsessed is my friend's label.

You can check out his store at:

https://obsessedstore.com/

IG: @obsessedus
Thanks for the link!,On a DME tune there is 3 basic stages .stage 1 is for completely stock, stage 2 is spark plugs gapped 91 octane, stage 3 is spark plugs gapped 93 octane 675 whp ,any more than this I would get upgraded clutch.then JB4 controlling meth DME backend flash pure turbos ,but im not going in that realm as the car is great right now and a little scary
Appreciate 0