BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #1
BlueDolphin
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i

N63t Engine knocking.

Hello all

Just as the title says. My 2013 650i is experiencing some engine knocking. Story is that I was having bit of fun and basically forgot that I left it in manual mode when doing a nice launch and not the sport shifting mode the car does by it self. I never been sure if that s on the gear shift meant sport or not, but that's what Im referring too.

So I take off, notice it doesn't shift and the car jerks back after revving up to or into the red line. The car immediately goes into neutral and shuts off. It then only complains about the gear shift being in neutral and cannot enter park. I pullover, turn it back on and it slightly hesitates to come on. I drive off and it does the parking thing again. I wait for a little then it drives regular and stays in drive. This is when I hear the very low knocking. I am hurt at that point. The car hasn't lost any noticable power when I press the gas, but the two times I drove after this, I keep it in eco mode so it doesn't rev above 2000rpm much.

I wanted to hear someone's else input on this who drives something similar and I also have a few questions... What does the failsafe on this car do when/if it's revved too high? My oil wasn't anywhere near min but it was not at max either... Could that have been the cause? I am aware of the current oil burning class action lawsuit with this engine and have been putting oil in it when it cries about it. I do have a warranty also, I would just like to know if anyone else been in this situation with the N63t and is there some way I can not remember that I didn't shift gears and let a dealership think it's just the faulty engine. I also have no check engine light or no codes I can see on my computer I use for cars.

Sorry, I know this post is long but I like to be as detailed as possible on forums, so there's little to no confusion. Any helpful input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I would not expect some mechanical damage that caused knocking to throw any codes unless the oil pressure dropped very low.

I do not know what the car does once you exceed redline - the "fail safe" as you put it - but whatever it is it does not include knocking, to state the obvious.

If you have a warranty, you can be sure it will not pay a claim as big as a new engine w/o a lot of inquiry to look for ways not to pay for an engine. I do not know the full extent of what they can tell from stored data, but it's a lot. I once disconnected a parking sensor for a few minutes on an 2010 BMW, and later after purchasing a scanner you could see the exact date I did it and what the ambient temp was at the time. Somebody on here may know exactly what a dealer can see or not. Can they see you exceeded redline and by how much and for how long? I'm betting yes. Can they see every time the car asked for oil, and how long it was asking before it was answered, I'm less confident of that, but would not bet against it. You better read the fine print of your warranty carefully before you take it in. It certainly has some sort of disclaimer about "racing" or off-street competition to exclude any tracked cars, but it would be interesting to see how specific it is about driving on the street and exceeding the redline.

Last edited by Opie55; 09-05-2021 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
BlueDolphin
Rep

Thanks for the reply. By failsafe, I was wondering if there is something that would happen in the case of not shifting, obviously not what occured to my vehicle.

But the stored data is what I'm a little afraid of. I feel as if they are able to see the oil level at the time, they would bring that up. Also, I am prepared to hear whatever crap the warranty company may or may not have. I am allowed to take my car to any place of my choosing, not just a dealership. So, I will weigh my options out based on who says what. The dealer or my good mechanic friend with a heavy euro accent.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

With an automatic transmission, you cannot over rev the engine. It will rev up the redline and then the rev limiter will cut power. Hitting the red line will not damage an engine. As long as the oil system wasn't indicating "low oil" that isn't an issue either.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
BlueDolphin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
With an automatic transmission, you cannot over rev the engine. It will rev up the redline and then the rev limiter will cut power. Hitting the red line will not damage an engine. As long as the oil system wasn't indicating "low oil" that isn't an issue either.
Well, I guess I was unlucky and it was bad timing for me to do what I did. I just wanted to make sure I understood how the rev limiter worked in the 650. I felt redlining definitely doesn't damage an engine. so whatever happened in there, I hope it isn't a hard time getting fixed. I just need to determine how I will approach this since this newer class action lawsuit determined that this engine production date is within range of flawed engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

New engines are taken to and held at the redline when they are built, no harm at the redline. Fingers crossed you get it solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS86 View Post
New engines are taken to and held at the redline when they are built, no harm at the redline. Fingers crossed you get it solved.
I don't know where you got that information but it's not true.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDolphin View Post
…I never been sure if that s on the gear shift meant sport or not, but that's what Im referring too.
Just to get a clear understanding of the gear shift lever S & M modes (these are mappings for the transmission & engine only)…versus the DDC (driving dynamic control) switch for EcoPro/Comfort+/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ (these include chassis & suspension mappings)…it is briefly explained in the owners manual. If you don’t have a physical manual…there’s a manual built into iDrive. If you can’t find it using the control knob…just press the TALK button on the steering wheel’s right button pod and say “OWNERS MANUAL”. It will open the owners manual and you can search that way for the info.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #9
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

Yes....it is true. Do some research mate, but I can tell already you think you know everything in the world. Crack on warrior
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Show me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #11
BlueDolphin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to get a clear understanding of the gear shift lever S & M modes (these are mappings for the transmission & engine only)…versus the DDC (driving dynamic control) switch for EcoPro/Comfort+/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ (these include chassis & suspension mappings)…it is briefly explained in the owners manual. If you don’t have a physical manual…there’s a manual built into iDrive. If you can’t find it using the control knob…just press the TALK button on the steering wheel’s right button pod and say “OWNERS MANUAL”. It will open the owners manual and you can search that way for the info.
I appreciate the info. I had a feeling you would respond, you gave me assistance before.

In case anyone is interested... My update is, of course, I need a new engine. the very nicely built N63TU I have has metal shavings in the oil. My warranty company claim that they cover "all internally lubricated parts". That sounds like all of everything the oil touches to me. I love to ask questions as if I don't know anything, so I asked what are the steps usually taken with this type of damage, to the service people at the dealership. "Normally a teardown if the warranty company ask, in case the parts inside that caused it isn't covered." Makes sense. But based on what is covered, "all lubricated parts", hopefully I can just get this out of my hair without doing that. We'll see who says what. I had that car for 6 months. Put about 8k-9k miles on it hahahaha! This car reminds me of most people, looks good on the outside but has major flaws on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

If you abuse a good looking thing it is going to let you down.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
BlueDolphin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyperks View Post
If you abuse a good looking thing it is going to let you down.
Yea I did abuse it, billy. Thanks for that info.
Appreciate 0