BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650xi Gran Coupe

2014 BMW 650XI Gran Coupe Steering Stutter

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2014 BMW 650XI under dealer warranty till 100k miles. The steering would sometimes stutter this happens randomly and seems to get worse. From my understanding is that the 650XI only comes in hydraulic steering.

I had the dealer look at it and they said that they could recreate the problem but, they do not know why it is happening or what is causing it?

I thought that they do not want to cover whatever issue it is under warranty so I took it to a 3rd party mechanic. He too said that everything looks normal and he can re-create the issue but, he has no idea why it is happening.

Thoughts? Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

you don't mean the lane departure vibration do you?

You don't mention the speed , environment or actual circumstances in which you are encountering the 'stutter'.

I find the lane departure warning sometimes a bit annoying and sensitive so turn this off most of the time. It creates a vibration 'stutter' through the steering if the cameras detect you veering out of your lane rather like an unbalanced wheel but its for a second or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
you don't mean the lane departure vibration do you?

You don't mention the speed , environment or actual circumstances in which you are encountering the 'stutter'.

I find the lane departure warning sometimes a bit annoying and sensitive so turn this off most of the time. It creates a vibration 'stutter' through the steering if the cameras detect you veering out of your lane rather like an unbalanced wheel but its for a second or so.
Hey there, thank you for responding. No, I do not mean the lane departure warning. I turned that off because I found it annoying too, I only turn it on when traveling on the highway. The conditions that this happens is only at low speed when turning left mostly and sometimes right for example when pulling into or out of a parking spot. Usually happens at speeds <20mph. Its like the steering freezes intermittently as you're turning and you have to force it to continue the turn. It has also happened both when the car was warm and cold (that didnt seem to matter). Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
blackbmw2018
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 6

Check your steering fluid level. Any sign of fluid leakages?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

my car isnt an Xdrive. Mine being rear wheel driven i don't experience any untoward vibrations when turning. I assume your wheels and tyres are all ok? ie no buckled rims or tyre flat spots etc etc though this would more than likely create issues at high speed and be constant... also I'm not sure if there is any sort of 'drive pull' at the front with AWD cars. have you checked the steering ? could this be a car with the electric steering? mine has the more usual hydraulic steering which is servo assisted and speed sensitive. perhaps there might be an issue here. you say to have to 'force it to continue to turn'.... hmmm this isn't right. Is the car under a warranty? you mention this ? perhaps take it to BMW have them troubleshoot it for you as surely steering issues is covered under a warranty.

if its not this then I'm at a loss too sorry. it would be hard to diagnose much more over a forum unless someone has had exactly the same issue and had it fixed or knew what it is. hopefully one of us can help you a bit more with this. good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
my car isnt an Xdrive. Mine being rear wheel driven i don't experience any untoward vibrations when turning. I assume your wheels and tyres are all ok? ie no buckled rims or tyre flat spots etc etc though this would more than likely create issues at high speed and be constant... also I'm not sure if there is any sort of 'drive pull' at the front with AWD cars. have you checked the steering ? could this be a car with the electric steering? mine has the more usual hydraulic steering which is servo assisted and speed sensitive. perhaps there might be an issue here. you say to have to 'force it to continue to turn'.... hmmm this isn't right. Is the car under a warranty? you mention this ? perhaps take it to BMW have them troubleshoot it for you as surely steering issues is covered under a warranty.

if its not this then I'm at a loss too sorry. it would be hard to diagnose much more over a forum unless someone has had exactly the same issue and had it fixed or knew what it is. hopefully one of us can help you a bit more with this. good luck
The wheels were previously buckled and we had the rims replaced for brand new ones. The tires are all good and relatively new. The Xdrive 650 only comes with hydraulic steering and I do not know what is causing the issue and neither does the dealer. I asked them if they could replace the steering column but, they said since they cant determine the issue to just live with it? I am very frustrated at this point and I cannot determine the issue to be honest.
Appreciate 1
JBF650111.00
      12-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw2018 View Post
Check your steering fluid level. Any sign of fluid leakages?
No leakage, all fluid levels are completely normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Does the OP have IAS (integral active steering)? Run the VIN to decode it then report back if you have one of the "specialized" steering systems like active steering.

The AWD 6 series can have a type of "hybrid" power steering system. Although they have hydraulic steering, there can still be some electronic assist.

You can see in the partial description of Active Steering...how speed and turning angle are parameters of its operational modes:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #9
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Does the OP have IAS (integral active steering)? Run the VIN to decode it then report back if you have one of the "specialized" steering systems like active steering.

The AWD 6 series can have a type of "hybrid" power steering system. Although they have hydraulic steering, there can still be some electronic assist.

You can see in the partial description of Active Steering...how speed and turning angle are parameters of its operational modes:
I do not believe my car has IAS see forum post below:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693727

I believe the 650 Xdrive model could not come with active steering as an option. I dropped my car off at the dealership again so they can take a look at it but, they're claiming to have trouble re-creating my issue even though it happens every time I drive the car. Will post back if they figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

The dealer was able to recreate the issue. They thought that it could be some air in the steering system or something wrong with the pump valves? They tried bleeding the system and checking if it fixes the issue. However, the issue still persists so they are investigating further. Will post an update once they figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #11
KnightArtoria
United_States
Rep

After bleeding the system they are still unable to fix it. They're recommending replacing the entire rack and pinion any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0