08-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Constant tpms light

F13 M6 here. TPMS malfunction light came on. Im seeing all 4 wheels as yellow. When I try to go to reset tpms its greyed out and I can do anything. This happend on a long road trip.

The car is a Canadian model, so wanna check with you guys for tpms details. I had coded the car with carly and I think I attempted to add the temp and psi readings to the car. Then later on a road trip, the light came on. I had been driving for some time, but i have not ever seen temp and psi displays previously. Also never had any tpms lights appear.

I have scanned with ista, protool, and carly. No tpms error there, but the car displays the light and in vehicle status it informs of a low tire. Again it wont let me reset it. The tires are adequately filled.

Also oddly enough, my valve stems arent metal they are rubber. Do Canadian models have tpms??? I cant find the RDC unit listed in the list of control units for the vehicle….????

Im going to start with coding those features off. ( temp and psi for tires / display). Im going to be doing some other services soon. So would like to handle this while that is happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also posted this on m5post***
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Silly question, but was the car on and stopped when you tried resetting the tpms? The reset button will stay greyed out if you're not completely stopped.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      08-12-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs***** View Post
Silly question, but was the car on and stopped when you tried resetting the tpms? The reset button will stay greyed out if you're not completely stopped.
I was on the highway and light came on. I checked and everything was fine and attempted the reset when stopped. No luck though. I have tried a couple times as well. Still greyed out at the moment. I think ill try turning off some of the features I added in through coding and see if that works. It could be a bad sensor or RDC antenna but I didnt get any error codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Please note that the sensors go bad after a while and depending on usage and mileage and need replacement. I had a E63 650i that the sensors went bad and could not register and had to replace them on all 4 wheels to work again.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
Please note that the sensors go bad after a while and depending on usage and mileage and need replacement..
Ditto this ^^^^

And since you say you have rubber valve stems...you probably have aftermarket TPM sensors installed (I have HUF brand TPM sensors w/rubber valve stems mounted on my winter set-up). You don't give any model year information...so we don't know how old they are...but you could drop by one of the national tire chains (Belle/TireAmerica/DiscountTire/etc) and see if they will scan your sensors to see if they are still active and sending a signal.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      08-27-2021, 11:50 PM   #6
M6ORL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6 bmw 530i

ill go with bad sensor too
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I coded off the tpms settings in the khombi and in another module. The FTM works, so does the tpms. The reset button was no longer greyed out. I reset it and all good. So for anyone reading this. Make sure you check coding carefully before doing it.
Appreciate 0